From: Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: org-bbdb: help
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:38:28 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Do we need to improve the documentation in org-bbdb.el?  Can someone
> please suggest an improvement?

I can describe my approach to things like this:

Being no lisper, I usually try to find a working example that
basically does what I want. Then I try-and-error tweak it, till it
works. For creating new records, I found these:

Append a birthday field:
 http://sachachua.com/wp/2008/07/20/emacs-bbdb-modifying-the-record-creation-process/
German modifications to the cration process:
 http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BbdbCreateRecord

And it works so far. But I got no clue, how the bbdb really works :(.
But I think Birthdays should be in there, and not in a separate org file.

Searching through http://orgmode.org/org.html, the monolithic org documentation
for org-bbdb, I only find this line:
  Thomas Baumann wrote org-bbdb.el and org-mhe.el.

And the manual (for very good reasons: Excellent!) is the first place I
have a look at.

Having a look at the faq, I find a page for diary integration, but org-bbdb
is not mentioned there, either (afaik).

Google was no help, so there seems to me there is only the documentation in
org-bbdb.el, which is, I am sure, enough for everyone who knows lisp and the
bbdb... Still, a faq-page, maybe dedicated to "Interaction with other modes",
might help: This could include remember, diary and bbdb integration.
Now, there is only Appointments/Diary.

And I think mentioning it in the manual somewhere (maybe with a link to
the faq page) would be great. I found out about org-bbdb.el only by
reading this list closely.

Nur meine 0.02 cent ;)
And again, thanks for org-mode ;)!