From: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>
To: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: MORE: Using git via USB for personal org dir and other data files
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:10:50 -0500	[thread overview]

"Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com> writes:

>  Thank you Bernt (and Sebastian):

I'm just trying to help :)

> I now understand that it is necessary to pull the changes to the alternate tree before pushing.  This will make a big
> difference in the future, I believe.  It worked as advertized on the /tmp/junk experiment.

Great!

> I think the other point I had missed, that would be necessary in an FAQ or tutorial, is that it is necessary to initially
> clone each of the working trees, on each machine, from the bare repo on the USB flash drive.  Then it now makes sense to
> me to name that as org.git, to distinguish it as a bare repo.  And once the working trees are cloned from there, then the
> org.git on the USB drive is recognized automatically as "origin".  That point eluded me.   And that git pull will perhaps
> automatically find origin.

git pull and git push use the default remote 'origin' if none is
specified.

> Meld is starting to make sense too.  Thought it would be nicer to have a tool that would be able to make simple updates
> from two edits on the same file if they don't conflict.  Usually, this will not be the case.
>
> Now, is it useful to use the switches on an ext2 formatted USB drive, as follows?
>
>     $ git clone -l --no-hardlinks --bare . /path/to/usb/stick

I've never used -l --no-hardlinks when creating repos on my usb stuck.
vfat filesystems don't support hard links and you can't make use of
hard links across filesystems.

There is lots of information available from git man pages (ie. git clone
--help) which describes what all of the options do.

Regards,
Bernt