From: Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>
To: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
Cc: org-mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>,
	Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: export and containers
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:00:56 +0100	[thread overview]

OK - I failed badly :-(

I think we can skip the extra <div> element around the TOC.

Here's why:

  As it looks now, the problem with the fixed TOC does not go away. My
  old trick seems to work only for HTML doctype and/or tables...  Should
  have tested that one before...

  So until now it's not getting any better - but more complicated.

  And all those stlyes in the stylesheet become confusing :-/

  The main problem is the height of the TOC on orgmode.org. The <div>
  element grows and shrinks in height when we resize the window.
  Unfortunately, we can't set the height property to 100% because of the
  unicorn. Instead I set it to 60% to support Netbooks - but 60% will be
  too high if the window is resized to be under a certain height. And
  60% is low, if the window fills a bigger screen (> 17')

  Seems I can't solve that by adding structural elements. The only
  element I could think of would be a table with height=100% and the
  unicorn in the first row (fixed height), TOC in the second row (no
  height property).

Most of this seems to be true for the other containers I thought of.

Just one around everything and one around the all the sections and
footnotes seems to make sense so far.

Maybe someone finds another way of `skinning' the XHTML output in the
future.

How about adding custom HTML before and after writing the main
containers?

Can't we something like this here ? :

   (defun my-export-add-custom-html(when, which)
      "when is either 'before' or 'after', which is one of:
        - 'body'
        - 'title'
        - 'toc'
        - 'contents'
        - 'lot'
       ..."
     (when (string= "body" which)
        (if (string= "before" when)
          "<div id="\"wrap\">")
          "</div>")
   )

In org-publish-project-alist:

   :custom-html-funcion   my-export-add-custom-html

and perhaps:

   :org-export-html-sequence '("title" "toc" "content" "footnotes")
   ;; getting wild and offtopic:
   :custom-id-function   my-org-id-was-found

That way the output would win flexibility and get closer to an generic
export. One could implement a table based layout, or reuse containers
from the CMS the pages should be used in.  Not to forget `<?php
..... ?>' or similar.

We would lose the guaranty that anything validates or org-info.js works
with the resulting structure though. But we could provide different
`themes' on Worg which are guarantied to work (and enhanced by the
comunity).

Or is all this completely weired?

Best,

  Sebastian

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
> OK, so I will wait with making changes until you have
> done some experimentation, maybe put that up somewhere,
> so that others can have a look?

> - Carsten
>
> On Mar 2, 2009, at 12:58 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>>> Hi Sebastian,

>>> How about these names for additional divs
>>>
>>> content-wrap
>>> content         ;; I think we should just have one around the entire content.
>>>                ;; should this also contain the <h1> with the page title?
>>>                ;; I think yes
>>
>> OK, one might be enough. There's a cross-browser CSS to center the contents
>> vertically with only one container:
>>
>> #content-wrap
>> {
>>  margin-top:auto;
>>  margin-bottom:auto;
>>  vertical-align:middle;
>> }
>>
>> And yes,  the title should be inside `content-wrap'
>>
>>> table-of-contents-wrap
>>>
>>> footnote-wrap
>>> bibliography-wrap