* Latex macros
@ 2009-06-25 11:52 hello world
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: hello world @ 2009-06-25 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Carsten Dominik and Colleagues,

searching for a scientific note-taking program I have discovered
your fantastic org-mode package. I use latex and usually
code a lot of formulas by having a lot of macros defined, e.g.,

\newcommand{\mgut}{\ensuremath{M_\mathrm{GUT}}}

Thus, e.g.: "At \mgut\ gauge couplings unify in supersymmetry."

In this regard, it would be great if one could use a
customized latex preamble (additional usepackage-commands) which
might be needed for the defined macros.

Since it is all about speed in note-taking, I think such a support
would be really appreciated...

Thank you,
Josef

* Re: Latex macros
@ 2009-06-25 12:32 ` Mikael Fornius
From: Mikael Fornius @ 2009-06-25 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hello world; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I use the #+LATEX_HEADER in the beginning lines of my .org-file, like
this:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{amsmath}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \newcommand{\cparen}[1]{\left\{ #1 \right\}}

--
Mikael Fornius

* Re: Latex macros
@ 2009-06-25 12:38 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-06-25 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hello world; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Josef,

hello world <asymptotic.freedom@googlemail.com> writes:

> In this regard, it would be great if one could use a
> customized latex preamble (additional usepackage-commands) which
> might be needed for the defined macros.

Have a look at the variables `org-format-latex-header' and
`org-export-latex-packages-alist', it might help.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Latex macros
@ 2009-06-25 14:19 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-25 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hello world; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

hello world <asymptotic.freedom@googlemail.com> writes:
> Dear Carsten Dominik and Colleagues,
>
> searching for a scientific note-taking program I have discovered
> your fantastic org-mode package. I use latex and usually
> code a lot of formulas by having a lot of macros defined, e.g.,
>
> \newcommand{\mgut}{\ensuremath{M_\mathrm{GUT}}}
>
> Thus, e.g.: "At \mgut\ gauge couplings unify in supersymmetry."
>
> In this regard, it would be great if one could use a
> customized latex preamble (additional usepackage-commands) which
> might be needed for the defined macros.

I also use the #+LATEX_HEADER in my *.org files and lots of self-defined
commands. It's almost a wonder how Org-modes copes with all those LaTeX
code in those files.

This is my customization (M-x customize-group RET org-export-latex RET):

   Org Export Latex Default Class:  article

   Org Export Latex Classes:

      LaTeX class: article

      LaTeX header:
      % BEGIN My Article Defaults
      \input{/home/sebastian/develop/lib/latex/header-org-article-pdf.tex}
      \input{/home/sebastian/develop/lib/latex/code.tex}
      % END My Article Defaults

Just ensure, to have the packages Org needs for export included in your
latex headers.
To do so, you could append you settings to the ones found there:

   \documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{article}
   \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
   \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
   \usepackage{graphicx}
   \usepackage{longtable}
   % BEGIN My Article Defaults
   \input{/home/sebastian/develop/lib/latex/header-org-article-pdf.tex}
   \input{/home/sebastian/develop/lib/latex/code.tex}
   % END My Article Defaults

Or simply put this into your org file:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \input{path/to/my/special/header.tex}

  Sebastian