* Ignore sub-items of Scheduled TODOs?
@ 2009-07-02 23:21 Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2009-07-02 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I'd like to know the best way for removing TODO items from the agenda if
they have a parent item that's been scheduled.

Currently, I have items like this:

* TODO top level item, scheduled for future
  SCHEDULED: <2009-07-16 Thu>
** TODO A sub-item I don't want to see until 7/16
** TODO Another sub-item I don't want to see until 7/16

If I set org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date to non-nil and go
to the agenda C-c a a, then I still see the second and third todos.

Is this a bug, or is there a quick way of removing these todos that are under a
scheduled item from the agenda list?  Or, am I probably going about this the
wrong way?

Thanks,
--Nate

* Re: Ignore sub-items of Scheduled TODOs?
@ 2009-07-03  0:45 ` Matthew Lundin
       [not found]   ` <211769420907031203m62f0185ekb2c45e6ef6790710@mail.gmail.com>
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-07-03  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know the best way for removing TODO items from the agenda if
> they have a parent item that's been scheduled.
>
> Currently, I have items like this:
>
> * TODO top level item, scheduled for future
>   SCHEDULED: <2009-07-16 Thu>
> ** TODO A sub-item I don't want to see until 7/16
> ** TODO Another sub-item I don't want to see until 7/16
>
> If I set org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date to non-nil and go to the
> agenda C-c a a, then I still see the second and third todos.
>
> Is this a bug, or is there a quick way of removing these todos that
> are under a scheduled item from the agenda list? Or, am I probably
> going about this the wrong way?

Probably the simplest thing to do is to add SCHEDULED timestamps to the
sub-items as well. As I understand it, org-mode timestamps cannot be
inherited by subheadings. I imagine someone else will quickly come along
and correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Best,
Matt

* Re: Ignore sub-items of Scheduled TODOs?
@ 2009-07-03  7:05 ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2009-07-03  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to know the best way for removing TODO items from the agenda if
> they have a parent item that's been scheduled.

It's not exactly what you want but I found that I like to hide sublevel
TODOs. Have a look at org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels:

org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels is a variable defined in `org-agenda.el'.
Its value is nil

Documentation:
Non-nil means, check also the sublevels of a TODO entry for TODO entries.
When nil, the sublevels of a TODO entry are not checked, resulting in
potentially much shorter TODO lists.

You can customize this variable.

HTH
Christian

@ 2009-07-03 19:36     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-07-03 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:

>> Probably the simplest thing to do is to add SCHEDULED timestamps to the
>> sub-items as well. As I understand it, org-mode timestamps cannot be
>> inherited by subheadings. I imagine someone else will quickly come along
>> and correct me if I'm wrong. :)
>
> It's just kind of a bummer if I have 10-12 TODOs under an item, and
> want to put the item off for awhile. I have to go and schedule 10-12
> items. That's why I don't think I'm doing this correctly -- any other
> advice would be appreciated.

Emacs macros come in really handy here. To define the macro, type:

C-x (                   [starts macro definition]
C-c C-s +2w             [schedule two weeks in future]
C-c C-n                 [move to next heading]
C-x )                   [end macro definition]

Then once you've defined the macro, simply type:

C-x e             [to execute the macro on the next heading]

or

C-u 12 C-x e      [to execute the macro on the next twelve headings]

I believe there was something on the mailing list recently about batch
rescheduling in the agenda. You might want to check that out.

On the other hand, if all of the sub-items are sub-tasks of the first
task, do you really need to activate each of them as todos (i.e., add
the TODO keyword) right away? Wouldn't it suffice to schedule the main
item and then to check the subitems on the day the main item appears on
the agenda?

The other possibility here would be to enter the subitems as plain list
checkboxes:

* TODO top level item, scheduled for future [0/2]
  SCHEDULED: <2009-07-16 Thu>

  - [ ] A sub-item I don't want to see until 7/16
  - [ ] Another sub-item I don't want to see until 7/16

By adding the cookie "[/]" the end of the main item, you would then be
reminded of the number and state of the subtasks when the main item
appears in the agenda.

Best,
Matt