* .ods opens file in Emacs, not OpenOffice
@ 2010-07-27  0:54 C64 Whiz
From: C64 Whiz @ 2010-07-27  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've searched for an answer but can't find a simple one.  I have an
OpenOffice document (.ods) I'd like to link to in my .org files.  So I have
the following syntax:

  [[file:c:/mydata/myfile.ods][File Description]]

When I click on the link in OrgMode, Emacs opens the file and not
OpenOffice.  Yet, when I'm in file explorer (yes, Windows), double clicking
the file does open up Open Office.  So I know the association is there.

I know there is a variable called 'org-file-apps, but I thought the file
system was supposed to handle any extension not known my OrgMode?  If I do
need 'org-file-apps, please provide an example where I may *add* to the list
rather then re-defining the existing list.  I'd hate to re-do "associations"
OrgMode already made.

Thanks!

--C64Whiz

* Re: .ods opens file in Emacs, not OpenOffice
@ 2010-07-27 10:14 ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2010-07-27 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:54:00 -0700, C64 Whiz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've searched for an answer but can't find a simple one.  I have an
> OpenOffice document (.ods) I'd like to link to in my .org files.  So I
> have the following syntax:
>
>   [[file:c:/mydata/myfile.ods][File Description]]
>
> When I click on the link in OrgMode, Emacs opens the file and not
> OpenOffice.  Yet, when I'm in file explorer (yes, Windows), double
> clicking the file does open up Open Office.  So I know the association
> is there.
>
> I know there is a variable called 'org-file-apps, but I thought the file
> system was supposed to handle any extension not known my OrgMode?  If I
> do need 'org-file-apps, please provide an example where I may *add* to
> the list rather then re-defining the existing list.  I'd hate to re-do
> "associations" OrgMode already made.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --C64Whiz
There are possible a couple of ways of dealing with this.

One that I have used in the past is to make a new link type and use that
for opening your .odt files

#+LINK: ooo shell:oowriter

and then use [[ooo:"/path/to/ooo-file" &][name of file]]

I have no doubt that there are other ways of doing this.

Shelagh

* Re: .ods opens file in Emacs, not OpenOffice
@ 2010-07-27 15:28 ` Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2010-07-27 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C64 Whiz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 10-Jul-26, at 8:54 PM, C64 Whiz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've searched for an answer but can't find a simple one.  I have an
> OpenOffice document (.ods) I'd like to link to in my .org files.  So
> I have the following syntax:
>
>   [[file:c:/mydata/myfile.ods][File Description]]
>
> When I click on the link in OrgMode, Emacs opens the file and not
> OpenOffice.  Yet, when I'm in file explorer (yes, Windows), double
> clicking the file does open up Open Office.  So I know the
> association is there.

Try C-u C-c C-o. On my mac, that switches whether the link opens in
emacs or through the operating system file association (although mine
is the reverse. With the prefix it opens in emacs. Not sure why). From
the doc-string for org-open-at-point:

	(org-open-at-point &optional IN-EMACS REFERENCE-BUFFER)

	Open link at or after point.
	If there is no link at point, this function will search forward up to
	the end of the current line.
	Normally, files will be opened by an appropriate application.  If the
	optional argument IN-EMACS is non-nil, Emacs will visit the file.
	With a double prefix argument, try to open outside of Emacs, in the
	application the system uses for this file type.

Hope this helps,

   -Anthony

* Re: .ods opens file in Emacs, not OpenOffice
@ 2010-07-27 18:12   ` C64 Whiz
From: C64 Whiz @ 2010-07-27 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Though I love the command line, I was hoping for a mouse-click solution.
I.e. I click on the link and it properly opens up in OO.

@ 2010-08-15 14:35     ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-08-15 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C64 Whiz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode