* Other programs to edit Org documents?
@ 2011-03-15 12:10 Harum Budi
From: Harum Budi @ 2011-03-15 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

Aside from Emacs, are there other programs capable of editing Org documents?

Regards,
Budi

* Re: Other programs to edit Org documents?
@ 2011-03-15 12:15 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-03-15 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harum Budi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Other programs to edit Org documents?
@ 2011-03-15 12:21   ` Harum Budi
From: Harum Budi @ 2011-03-15 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2011/3/15 Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com>

> > Aside from Emacs, are there other programs capable of editing Org
> documents?
>
> To state the obvious: ,org files are text files, not binary files, which
> can be edited with *any* text editor.
>
> If you are asking about org-mode functionality: there are a few (I think
> 2) projects working on implementing something similar in vim and there
> was some discussion on this mailing list - but I did not follow this in
> detail.

Thanks. Google returned VimOrganizer and VimTodo. The former is an org-mode
clone for vim (though I haven't read/tested how much has been implemented),
but the latter uses todo.txt format and not Org. Haven't found any other
similar programs so far.

(PS: I use Emacs myself, just curious).

@ 2011-03-15 17:09     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-03-15 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harum Budi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer M Krug

A simple org-mode viewer (that allows you to do some basic
folding/unfolding and search -- or even something more complex that
would allow you to view it as a mind-map?) would be nice. It could
even be simplified with more GUI bells and whistles and still allow
one to insert data and save the file. It would not be a full
replacement for emacs, ever, but would allow other less technical
users to use it as well.

I was thinking about something alike that could be ran on the web and
on the desktop. Adobe AIR could be a nice platform to develop on, in
this case. I'd love to write something like this, just need to gather
the time and energy :) (oh, procrastination)

Cheers,

Marcelo.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Harum Budi <harumbudi@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/3/15 Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com>
>>
>> > Aside from Emacs, are there other programs capable of editing Org
>> > documents?
>>
>> To state the obvious: ,org files are text files, not binary files, which
>> can be edited with *any* text editor.
>>
>> If you are asking about org-mode functionality: there are a few (I think
>> 2) projects working on implementing something similar in vim and there
>> was some discussion on this mailing list - but I did not follow this in
>> detail.
>
> Thanks. Google returned VimOrganizer and VimTodo. The former is an org-mode
> clone for vim (though I haven't read/tested how much has been implemented),
> but the latter uses todo.txt format and not Org. Haven't found any other
> similar programs so far.
> (PS: I use Emacs myself, just curious).
> Regards,
> Budi

* Re: Other programs to edit Org documents?
@ 2011-03-16 10:48       ` Scot Becker
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: Scot Becker @ 2011-03-16 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Harum Budi, Rainer M Krug

> A simple org-mode viewer (that allows you to do some basic
> folding/unfolding and search -- or even something more complex that
> would allow you to view it as a mind-map?) would be nice. It could
> even be simplified with more GUI bells and whistles and still allow
> one to insert data and save the file. It would not be a full
> replacement for emacs, ever, but would allow other less technical
> users to use it as well.
>
> There are all kinds of advantages to this, seems to me, and of course it
partly exists in the form of Moblie Org.  Org-mode is both an interface and
a specification, you could say (as well as a friendly club).  And you can
work with the latter (the markup specification) apart from the former if you
have need to.   A web-app for viewing and editing org-mode files would open
nice possibilities for collaboration with the not-yet-initiated and for
using your files when you are away-from-emacs.

Scot

* Re: Other programs to edit Org documents?
@ 2011-03-16 20:05         ` Jason McBrayer
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jason McBrayer @ 2011-03-16 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

I'm toying with the idea of writing a webapp that conforms to the
org-mobile-push/pull specifications as kind of a testbed for some other
ideas, but I don't know if I've got the round tuits available to actually
make it happen.

--
Jason F. McBrayer
http://jfm.carcosa.net/

* Re: Other programs to edit Org documents?
@ 2011-03-17  7:21         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-17  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, Harum Budi, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa, Rainer M Krug

Hi Scot,

Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com> writes:

> There are all kinds of advantages to this, seems to me, and of course
> it partly exists in the form of Moblie Org.  Org-mode is both an
> interface and a specification, you could say (as well as a friendly
> club).

During the FOSDEM meeting, someone asked whether we had a description of
the .org format -- we don't.  A file on Worg detailing these specs would
actually be useful and probably help third-party programs to handle it.

My 2 cents,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Other programs to edit Org documents?
@ 2011-03-17  8:54           ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-03-17  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa, Harum Budi

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Hi Scot,
>
> Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> There are all kinds of advantages to this, seems to me, and of course
>> it partly exists in the form of Moblie Org.  Org-mode is both an
>> interface and a specification, you could say (as well as a friendly
>> club).
>
> During the FOSDEM meeting, someone asked whether we had a description of
> the .org format -- we don't.  A file on Worg detailing these specs would
> actually be useful and probably help third-party programs to handle it.

Absolutely agree. In addition, it would add some more structure to the
process of using / developing  org-mode and it could clarify issues
like the properties section, ... which is sometimes quite cryptic for
new (sometimes even advanced?) users.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
NEW GERMAN FAX NUMBER!!!

Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Cell:           +27 - (0)83 9479 042
Fax:            +27 - (0)86 516 2782
Fax:            +49 - (0)321 2125 2244
email:          Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:          RMkrug
Google:         R.M.Krug@gmail.com

* Re: Other programs to edit Org documents?
@ 2011-03-17  9:12             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-17  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Harum Budi, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> Absolutely agree. In addition, it would add some more structure to the
> process of using / developing  org-mode and it could clarify issues
> like the properties section, ... which is sometimes quite cryptic for
> new (sometimes even advanced?) users.

So I assume we now have a volunteer for this work ;)

--
 Bastien

* Re: Other programs to edit Org documents?
@ 2011-03-17  9:21               ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-03-17  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Harum Budi, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Absolutely agree. In addition, it would add some more structure to the
>> process of using / developing  org-mode and it could clarify issues
>> like the properties section, ... which is sometimes quite cryptic for
>> new (sometimes even advanced?) users.
>
> So I assume we now have a volunteer for this work ;)

Does org provide a "48 hour day" mode? I guess it would be a major mode...

--

@ 2011-03-17  9:22           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-03-17  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Rainer M Krug, emacs-orgmode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa, Harum Budi

On 17.3.2011, at 08:21, Bastien wrote:

> Hi Scot,
>
> Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> There are all kinds of advantages to this, seems to me, and of course
>> it partly exists in the form of Moblie Org.  Org-mode is both an
>> interface and a specification, you could say (as well as a friendly
>> club).
>
> During the FOSDEM meeting, someone asked whether we had a description of
> the .org format -- we don't.  A file on Worg detailing these specs would
> actually be useful and probably help third-party programs to handle it.

What they really asked for was a formal description that can be
fed into a parser.  I am sure that this would be a useful thing to
have and would open a world of applications for the Org-mode format
as a plain text format.

- Carsten

* Re: Other programs to edit Org documents?
@ 2011-03-17  9:34         ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-03-17  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, Harum Budi, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa, Rainer M Krug

Has anyone used their iPhone to search for emacs in the apps store?
Someone wrote an app that can import org-mode files onto the iPhone.
Don't yet know how good it is since I'm just starting out with org-mode
myself.On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, Scot Becker wrote  I have other flavors of
Linux available but for now am using Slackware 13.0 so much of what's on
the tutorials for org-mode isn't applicable because several of the add-on
packages like remember and bbdb don't come with Slackware.

simple org-mode viewer (that allows you to do some basic
> > folding/unfolding and search -- or even something more complex that
> > would allow you to view it as a mind-map?) would be nice. It could
> > even be simplified with more GUI bells and whistles and still allow
> > one to insert data and save the file. It would not be a full
> > replacement for emacs, ever, but would allow other less technical
> > users to use it as well.
> >
> > There are all kinds of advantages to this, seems to me, and of course it
> partly exists in the form of Moblie Org.  Org-mode is both an interface and
> a specification, you could say (as well as a friendly club).  And you can
> work with the latter (the markup specification) apart from the former if you
> have need to.   A web-app for viewing and editing org-mode files would open
> nice possibilities for collaboration with the not-yet-initiated and for
> using your files when you are away-from-emacs.
>
> Scot

* Re: Other programs to edit Org documents?
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-03-17 10:14         ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-03-17 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, Harum Budi, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa, Rainer M Krug

I've toyed around with a jQuery-based web interface to this end. I
think a reasonable target would be to emulate the functions you can
reach with speed keys on the first column of a heading in Org:
folding, navigation, todo states, promoting, demoting... plus perhaps
extend them to lists and checkboxes.

I plan to post some sample code here when I've got more of those
features implemented (not for the next few weeks I'm afraid).

Yours,
Christian