* Problem with Export-Org-Mode
@ 2011-03-29 11:45 Ghanashyam
From: Ghanashyam @ 2011-03-29 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am Shyam and I am using emacs23.2 on Windows to write notes using the org
mode. I have an org-mode buffer which I would like to export as pdf. I have
MikTex installed on my system and use its utilities to process tex file.

*The issue: *
I type my org mode file, and just use the C-c C-e d to export the org mode
document to pdf and open the pdf file. My default pdf reader is evince. I
would like to go back to emacs and make some more changes to the org
document and again do the C-c C-e d. Emacs org mode fails to over write the
pdf since it is already opened in evince and throws an error "permission
denied.. .././../test.pdf" test.pdf is the pdf file that I have opened up.

Is there a way to just make emacs org mode re-write without worrying about
the permission and exiting. Evince has this wonderful option that I like
which can reload an newly written pdf even if it has the old pdf loaded.

In an ideal case, I would like emacs to ask the user before it does and pdf
overwrite, and this option may be set by the user in the .init whether to
ask for overwrite or simply just overwrite the file.

Can any one help me on this?

--
regards
Shyam

* Re: Problem with Export-Org-Mode
@ 2011-03-29 23:19 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-03-29 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 17:15:05 +0530
Ghanashyam <mail.ghanashyam.prabhu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to just make emacs org mode re-write without worrying
> about the permission and exiting. Evince has this wonderful option
> that I like which can reload an newly written pdf even if it has the
> old pdf loaded.

This is how it works on GNU/Linux. So maybe its a Windows thing?

--
Suvayu

* Re: Problem with Export-Org-Mode
@ 2011-03-29 23:55 ` Michael Markert
From: Michael Markert @ 2011-03-29 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Shyam,
> The issue: I type my org mode file, and just use the C-c C-e d to export the
> org mode document to pdf and open the pdf file. My default pdf reader is
> evince. I would like to go back to emacs and make some more changes to the org
> document and again do the C-c C-e d. Emacs org mode fails to over write the
> pdf since it is already opened in evince and throws an error "permission
> denied.. .././../test.pdf" test.pdf is the pdf file that I have opened up.

IIRC Window prevents removing/overwriting opened files. So you can't do
anything about it on the Emacs/Org side (aside from killing the evince
process before exporting, but that could be cumbersome).

Michael

* Re: Problem with Export-Org-Mode
@ 2011-03-30  7:15   ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2011-03-30  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Shyam,

Michael Markert wrote:
>> The issue: I type my org mode file, and just use the C-c C-e d to export
>> the org mode document to pdf and open the pdf file. My default pdf reader
>> is evince. I would like to go back to emacs and make some more changes to
>> the org document and again do the C-c C-e d. Emacs org mode fails to over
>> write the pdf since it is already opened in evince and throws an error
>> "permission denied.. .././../test.pdf" test.pdf is the pdf file that I have
>> opened up.
>
> IIRC Window prevents removing/overwriting opened files. So you can't do
> anything about it on the Emacs/Org side (aside from killing the evince
> process before exporting, but that could be cumbersome).

No problem at all on Windows, at least with Sumatra (1.4, excellent!).

BTW, the first time, you have to do C-c C-e d for "display"; but, the next
ones, only C-c C-e p for "process" (= regenerate the PDF).

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban