* Script: convert Tomboy/GNote XML to org-mode
@ 2011-08-01 18:23 attila
From: attila @ 2011-08-01 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Script: convert Tomboy/GNote XML to org-mode
@ 2011-08-03 16:48 ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2011-08-03 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: attila; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for sharing this. I've wanted to convert my tomboy notes to org-mode
for some time.

I downloaded the script and tried to run it with
: ./tomboy2org.pl -help
but I got the error message below
Can't locate Text/Format.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at ./tomboy2org.pl line 44.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./tomboy2org.pl line 44.

Maybe I need to install some library, but I know nothing about Perl to fix
this myself.

--
Darlan

@ 2011-08-03 17:49   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-08-03 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <darcamo@gmail.com> writes:
> I downloaded the script and tried to run it with
> : ./tomboy2org.pl -help
> but I got the error message below
> Can't locate Text/Format.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at ./tomboy2org.pl line 44.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./tomboy2org.pl line 44.
>
> Maybe I need to install some library, but I know nothing about Perl to fix
> this myself.

$ perl -MCPAN -e 'install Text::Format'

HTH,
Achim.

* Re: Script: convert Tomboy/GNote XML to org-mode
@ 2011-08-03 19:10   ` attila
From: attila @ 2011-08-03 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 08/03/2011 11:48 AM, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:

> Thanks for sharing this. I've wanted to convert my tomboy notes to org-mode
> for some time.
>
> I downloaded the script and tried to run it with
> : ./tomboy2org.pl -help
> but I got the error message below
> Can't locate Text/Format.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at ./tomboy2org.pl line 44.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./tomboy2org.pl line 44.
>
> Maybe I need to install some library, but I know nothing about Perl to fix
> this myself.

Hi, thanks for pointing this out.  I should make the dependencies
explicit at least in the README, but to be clear they are:

    XML::Twig
    Text::Format

The other modules I depend on are (almost?) always installed by
default, at least in every Perl installation I've seen recently:

    Pod::Usage
    Sys::Hostname;
    IO::File;
    POSIX;

You don't say what platform you are using so I can't tell you exactly
how to get any missing modules installed for your situation, but here's
a stab at it:

Debian names the packages for Perl modules something like
    lib<name-of-module-in-lowercase-with-hyphens>-perl
so Text::Format becomes libtext-format-perl.

On Ubuntu Linux and other Debian-derived Linux distros you therefore
do something like this to get this package installed:

  $ sudo apt-get install libtext-format-perl

If the above doesn't apply to you and your system has the cpan command
installed, you can also do this:

  $ sudo cpan -i Text::Format

The second solution above will probably work on modern releases of
your favorite BSD Unix flavor; I just checked on OpenBSD and NetBSD
systems I have access to and they both have this command.

If you are not much for Unix system administration, the "sudo" command
gives you temporary administrative powers for the purposes of a single
command; your mileage may vary depending on your situation.

Finally, if all else fails Text::Format is available from CPAN here:

http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/S/SH/SHLOMIF/Text-Format-0.53.tar.gz

The usual recipe (after you've downloaded that file however) is:

  $ tar zxvf /path/to/Text-Format-0.53.tar.gz
  $ cd Text-Format-0.53
  $ perl Makefile.PL
  $ make
  $ make test
  # assuming make test does not kick out any errors:
  $ sudo make install

> --
> Darlan

Hope this helps.

Pax, --A
- --
attila@stalphonsos.com | 0x4FFCBB9C | hack("free") or die;

* Re: Script: convert Tomboy/GNote XML to org-mode
@ 2011-08-10 17:01     ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2011-08-10 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: attila; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the instructions, and sorry for the late reply.  I'm using
Ubuntu 11.04 and I was able to run the script after installing
libtext-format-perl as you have instructed.

I have found one problem that prevents me from converting my notes
correctly, though. In tomboy I have many notes where I use "*" as bullet
item in the body starting in the first column. These bullet items are then
interpreted as level-1 headings in the final notes.org file. This can be
solved by indenting the body content of each converted note. Org-mode will
then interpret the items as actual items instead of headlines.

Also, tomboy doesn't really support tags. It only allows you to group
notes. I think this maps better as the CATEGORY property in org-mode,
instead of a TAGS property. But that's just my opinion.

--
Darlan

At Wed, 03 Aug 2011 14:10:14 -0500,

@ 2011-08-10 18:43       ` attila
From: attila @ 2011-08-10 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Script: convert Tomboy/GNote XML to org-mode
@ 2011-08-11 18:26         ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2011-08-11 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: attila; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

By using the indent option everything seems to work just fine. I noticed
that the PROPERTIES block is not indented, but that is not an issue. I can
already move from tomboy to org, but I will test any future version of
tomboy2org.

Thanks,
Darlan

At Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:43:22 -0500,

@ 2011-08-14 17:10 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-08-14 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: attila; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Attila,

attila <attila@stalphonsos.com> writes:

>     https://github.com/StAlphonsos/scriptologie

Thanks for this -- I have added a section to the Org-tools page
on Worg:

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tools/index.html

Best,

--