* Bug passing tables to R code blocks?
@ 2011-10-18  2:05 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-10-18  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aloha all,

I'm seeing some unexpected behavior when passing two tables into an R
source code block.  Things seem to work as expected when only one table is
passed.

In the following example, the header for the second table ends up on the
first table when I evaluate the source code block.

* R tables

#+TBLNAME: tbl-1
| column1 | column2 |
|---------+---------|
|      45 |      34 |
|      77 |      56 |

#+tblname: tbl-2
| col1 | col2 |
|------+------|
| a    | b    |
| c    | d    |

#+BEGIN_SRC R :var x=tbl-1 :var y=tbl-2 :colnames yes
#+END_SRC

#+results:
| col1 | col2 |
|------+------|
|   45 |   34 |
|   77 |   56 |

release_7.7-396-g3538
Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.396.g3538)

Bug?  Or my setup?

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813

* Re: Bug passing tables to R code blocks?
@ 2011-10-18  2:45 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-10-18  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org-mode

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Aloha all,
>
> I'm seeing some unexpected behavior when passing two tables into an R
> source code block.  Things seem to work as expected when only one table is
> passed.
>
> In the following example, the header for the second table ends up on the
> first table when I evaluate the source code block.
>
> * R tables
>
> #+TBLNAME: tbl-1
> | column1 | column2 |
> |---------+---------|
> |      45 |      34 |
> |      77 |      56 |
>
> #+tblname: tbl-2
> | col1 | col2 |
> |------+------|
> | a    | b    |
> | c    | d    |
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC R :var x=tbl-1 :var y=tbl-2 :colnames yes
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+results:
> | col1 | col2 |
> |------+------|
> |   45 |   34 |
> |   77 |   56 |
>
> release_7.7-396-g3538
> Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.396.g3538)
>
> Bug?  Or my setup?

Bug, I think: org-babel-disassemble-tables goes over tables from left to
right (top to bottom) but conses colnames (and rownames) to the front,
so they come out backwards. Reversing those two lists just before
org-babel-disassemble-tables returns should fix it.

Nick

* Re: Bug passing tables to R code blocks?
@ 2011-10-18 16:09   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-10-18 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>
>> Aloha all,
>>
>> I'm seeing some unexpected behavior when passing two tables into an R
>> source code block.  Things seem to work as expected when only one table is
>> passed.
>>
>> In the following example, the header for the second table ends up on the
>> first table when I evaluate the source code block.
>>
>> * R tables
>>
>> #+TBLNAME: tbl-1
>> | column1 | column2 |
>> |---------+---------|
>> |      45 |      34 |
>> |      77 |      56 |
>>
>> #+tblname: tbl-2
>> | col1 | col2 |
>> |------+------|
>> | a    | b    |
>> | c    | d    |
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC R :var x=tbl-1 :var y=tbl-2 :colnames yes
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> #+results:
>> | col1 | col2 |
>> |------+------|
>> |   45 |   34 |
>> |   77 |   56 |
>>
>> release_7.7-396-g3538
>> Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.396.g3538)
>>
>> Bug?  Or my setup?
>>

> Bug, I think: org-babel-disassemble-tables goes over tables from left to
> right (top to bottom) but conses colnames (and rownames) to the front,
> so they come out backwards. Reversing those two lists just before
> org-babel-disassemble-tables returns should fix it.

Nick, thanks for diagnosing this problem your fix worked exactly as
expected and I have just pushed it up to the Org-mode repository.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Bug passing tables to R code blocks?
@ 2011-10-18 18:44     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-10-18 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org-mode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
>> Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Aloha all,
>>>
>>> I'm seeing some unexpected behavior when passing two tables into an R
>>> source code block.  Things seem to work as expected when only one table is
>>> passed.
>>>
>>> In the following example, the header for the second table ends up on the
>>> first table when I evaluate the source code block.
>>>
>>> * R tables
>>>
>>> #+TBLNAME: tbl-1
>>> | column1 | column2 |
>>> |---------+---------|
>>> |      45 |      34 |
>>> |      77 |      56 |
>>>
>>> #+tblname: tbl-2
>>> | col1 | col2 |
>>> |------+------|
>>> | a    | b    |
>>> | c    | d    |
>>>
>>> #+BEGIN_SRC R :var x=tbl-1 :var y=tbl-2 :colnames yes
>>> #+END_SRC
>>>
>>> #+results:
>>> | col1 | col2 |
>>> |------+------|
>>> |   45 |   34 |
>>> |   77 |   56 |
>>>
>>> release_7.7-396-g3538
>>> Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.396.g3538)
>>>
>>> Bug?  Or my setup?
>>>

>> Bug, I think: org-babel-disassemble-tables goes over tables from left to
>> right (top to bottom) but conses colnames (and rownames) to the front,
>> so they come out backwards. Reversing those two lists just before
>> org-babel-disassemble-tables returns should fix it.
>>

> Nick, thanks for diagnosing this problem your fix worked exactly as
> expected and I have just pushed it up to the Org-mode repository.
>
> Best -- Eric
>

>> Nick

Thanks Eric and Nick,

This fixes the problem I was seeing.