* New version of VimOrganizer, an Org-mode clone in Vim
@ 2011-11-03  0:31 Herbert Sitz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Herbert Sitz @ 2011-11-03  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just formally pushed up a new version of VimOrganizer, an Org clone in Vim.

This version is much closer to being a true alternative to using Org-mode in
Emacs.  I say alternative to "using Org-mode in Emacs", because VimOrganizer in
large part operate as a front end to Org-mode by making calls to a running Emacs
server.  All of the export functionality is done this way, as is access to stuff
like Org-babel, spreadsheet evaluation, live blocks like clocktables, column
blocks, etc.

I'd be glad to hear any feedback, comments, suggestions. . .

An intro to some of the stuff in the new version is here:
https://github.com/hsitz/VimOrganizer/blob/master/intro.txt

Git page is here:
https://github.com/hsitz/VimOrganizer

And the page on Vim's website is here:

I will try to get some videos of the new functionality in next day or two.  One
main thing I'm happy about is I extended my patch of Vim to allow separate
highlighting of TODO items on folded headings.  Previously my patch enabled
level-dependent fold highlighting, but always showed TODOs in same color as the
folded heading.  Much nicer to have everything collapsed and still have the
TODOs pop out at you.

Thanks to everybody on here who's provided help for my (sometimes silly)
questions about Org-mode and how it works.  I'm starting to really appreciate
elisp, so who knows what the future holds. . .

Regards,

Herb

* Re: New version of VimOrganizer, an Org-mode clone in Vim
@ 2011-11-03  7:26 ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-11-03  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Sitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hmmm...
nice! Maybe it helps to bring finally peace between Vi and Emacs users. I
will forward it to my Vi-friends:)
Torsten

@ 2011-11-03  8:07 ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2011-11-03  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Herbert Sitz <hesitz@gmail.com> writes:

> I just formally pushed up a new version of VimOrganizer, an Org clone in Vim.

nice, I announced this on the picolisp newsgroup, since this new
org-babel language is more vim based, and VimOrganizer might help to

--
Thorsten

* Re: New version of VimOrganizer, an Org-mode clone in Vim
@ 2011-11-03  8:11   ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2011-11-03  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:

sorry, incomplete sentence, wrong keystroke ...

> nice, I announced this on the picolisp newsgroup, since this new
> org-babel language is more vim based, and VimOrganizer might help to

...spread the news about orgmode and org-babel in the
picolisp community.

cheers
--
Thorsten

* Re: New version of VimOrganizer, an Org-mode clone in Vim
@ 2011-11-03 22:09 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-11-03 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Sitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Herb

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 01:31, Herbert Sitz <hesitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be glad to hear any feedback, comments, suggestions. . .

My intention is the opposite of undermining your work in any way and I
find it a good thing that users who prefer Vim can handle Org files
too. But for completeness and because it is not well known let me
suggest to point out here

> An intro to some of the stuff in the new version is here:
> https://github.com/hsitz/VimOrganizer/blob/master/intro.txt

or at a similar place that there is also the possibility to have the
vi modal editing paradigm and most of the vi key bindings within Emacs
itself by using a vi emulation like Viper mode. (I use Emacs with
Viper mode all the time to have the best of both worlds.)

Michael

* Re: New version of VimOrganizer, an Org-mode clone in Vim
@ 2011-11-03 23:26   ` Herbert Sitz
From: Herbert Sitz @ 2011-11-03 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand <at> gmail.com> writes:

> or at a similar place that there is also the possibility to have the
> vi modal editing paradigm and most of the vi key bindings within Emacs
> itself by using a vi emulation like Viper mode. (I use Emacs with
> Viper mode all the time to have the best of both worlds.)
>
> Michael

Michael -- No problem, this issue was of course brought up when I started the
project a year or so ago.  Actually for the many Vim users who have tried to
make the transition to Emacs I think it is pretty well known that there are
several different Vim emulators for Emacs.  (Evil is a fairly new one I still
want to try out; I'm not sure but I think it's by same team and intended to
supplant Vimpulse, which itself extends Viper:  http://gitorious.org/evil )

In any case, for several people who contacted me about editing Org documents,
and who had no preference for Vim over Emacs, I of course recommended that they
go with Emacs.  That's a no brainer.

I use Viper/Vimpulse myself when in Emacs, and while nice, I certainly would not
say it gives me the best of both worlds.  It gives me Emacs, which is great,
along with a useful but somewhat kludgy-feeling emulation of a decent chunk of
Vim stuff.  Good enough for some people trying to make the switch to Emacs.  Not
good enough for many, who have tried to make the switch only to turn back to
Vim.  You may be aware that the Org project itself is one of the major reasons
people try to switch from Vim to Emacs.  I was one of those people who tried and
didn't like working in Emacs, despite using Viper/Vimpulse.

Even now when I use Org-mode I mostly operate it using the menu system, not with
the key-chord-combinations.  One neat idea, I think, would be for someone to
extend Viper/Vimpulse/(or Evil) with keybindings that provide a usable Vim-type
modal interface to Org-mode's features.  That could be nice.

@ 2011-11-04 13:31     ` Tom Short
From: Tom Short @ 2011-11-04 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Sitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Herbert Sitz <hesitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> or at a similar place that there is also the possibility to have the
>> vi modal editing paradigm and most of the vi key bindings within Emacs
>> itself by using a vi emulation like Viper mode. (I use Emacs with
>> Viper mode all the time to have the best of both worlds.)
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Michael -- No problem, this issue was of course brought up when I started the
> project a year or so ago.  Actually for the many Vim users who have tried to
> make the transition to Emacs I think it is pretty well known that there are
> several different Vim emulators for Emacs.  (Evil is a fairly new one I still
> want to try out; I'm not sure but I think it's by same team and intended to
> supplant Vimpulse, which itself extends Viper:  http://gitorious.org/evil )

Evil is very nice. I like it a lot and could never get used to
Vimpulse. It is intended to replace Viper/Vimpulse. I second your idea
of better org integration. See here for a start of a customization:

http://zuttobenkyou.wordpress.com/tag/orgmode/

Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying VimOrganizer.

* Re: New version of VimOrganizer, an Org-mode clone in Vim
@ 2011-11-07  5:25     ` Tom Prince
From: Tom Prince @ 2011-11-07  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Sitz, emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 23:26:57 +0000 (UTC), Herbert Sitz <hesitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael -- No problem, this issue was of course brought up when I
> started the project a year or so ago.  Actually for the many Vim users
> who have tried to make the transition to Emacs I think it is pretty
> well known that there are several different Vim emulators for Emacs.
> (Evil is a fairly new one I still want to try out; I'm not sure but I
> think it's by same team and intended to supplant Vimpulse, which
> itself extends Viper: http://gitorious.org/evil )
>
> [...]
>
> Even now when I use Org-mode I mostly operate it using the menu system, not with
> the key-chord-combinations.  One neat idea, I think, would be for someone to
> extend Viper/Vimpulse/(or Evil) with keybindings that provide a usable Vim-type
> modal interface to Org-mode's features.  That could be nice.

As far as I can tell, evil grew out the merger of viper and another
vi/vim emulation mode (not viper). In particular, it was designed to
extensible from the gound.

  Tom

* Re: New version of VimOrganizer, an Org-mode clone in Vim
@ 2011-11-22  7:39       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-11-22  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Short; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Herbert Sitz

Tom Short <tshort.rlists@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Herbert Sitz <hesitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>>

>>> or at a similar place that there is also the possibility to have the
>>> vi modal editing paradigm and most of the vi key bindings within Emacs
>>> itself by using a vi emulation like Viper mode. (I use Emacs with
>>> Viper mode all the time to have the best of both worlds.)
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>> Michael -- No problem, this issue was of course brought up when I started the
>> project a year or so ago.  Actually for the many Vim users who have tried to
>> make the transition to Emacs I think it is pretty well known that there are
>> several different Vim emulators for Emacs.  (Evil is a fairly new one I still
>> want to try out; I'm not sure but I think it's by same team and intended to
>> supplant Vimpulse, which itself extends Viper:  http://gitorious.org/evil )
>
> Evil is very nice. I like it a lot and could never get used to
> Vimpulse. It is intended to replace Viper/Vimpulse. I second your idea
> of better org integration. See here for a start of a customization:
>
> http://zuttobenkyou.wordpress.com/tag/orgmode/
>
> Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying VimOrganizer.

I have been using evil for several months now.  It works very very
well.  I also had tried previous VI emulation attempts (viper, vimpulse)
but none stuck.  Evil has.  It works particularly well with org mode in
my experience.  Highly recommended if you want vi + emacs, as I do.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.90.1
: using Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.582.g36939)