* Inconsistent output when logging things between org-indent-mode set to on and off
@ 2011-12-23 10:56 Gustav Wikström
From: Gustav Wikström @ 2011-12-23 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hello again!

I've found an inconsistency in org depending on if org-indent-mode is
activated or not.

When org-indent-mode is inactive i get spaces in front of schedules and
deadlines under a headline, to match the start of the text of the headline
i presume. When org-indent-mode is active I do not see this behaviour.

Example when scheduling something with org-indent-mode on and then looking
at the plain text:

***** Test
SCHEDULED: <2011-12-23 Fri>

Example when scheduling something without org-indent-mode and then looking
at the plain text:

***** Test
      SCHEDULED: <2011-12-23 Fri>

I propose is to remove the whitespace when org-indent-mode is inactive
while scheduling things. Or make it a custom setting (maybe it already is?)
with the default to not add whitespace.

I do realize that this is a minor (really minor...) inconsistency, but it
bugged me and why not report it then?

Regards
Gustav

* Re: Inconsistent output when logging things between org-indent-mode set to on and off
@ 2011-12-23 11:47 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-12-23 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gustav Wikström; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hello,

Gustav Wikström <gustav.erik@gmail.com> writes:

> When org-indent-mode is inactive i get spaces in front of schedules and
> deadlines under a headline, to match the start of the text of the headline
> i presume. When org-indent-mode is active I do not see this behaviour.
>
> Example when scheduling something with org-indent-mode on and then looking
> at the plain text:
>
> ***** Test
> SCHEDULED: <2011-12-23 Fri>

I don't have that behaviour. C-c C-s on an headline, with Org indent
mode active, indent (virtually) the line like:

> ***** Test
>       SCHEDULED: <2011-12-23 Fri>

How do you obtain that?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Inconsistent output when logging things between org-indent-mode set to on and off
@ 2011-12-23 12:24   ` Gustav Wikström
From: Gustav Wikström @ 2011-12-23 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hello!

2011/12/23 Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>

> Hello,
>
> Gustav Wikström <gustav.erik@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > When org-indent-mode is inactive i get spaces in front of schedules and
> > deadlines under a headline, to match the start of the text of the
> headline
> > i presume. When org-indent-mode is active I do not see this behaviour.
> >
> > Example when scheduling something with org-indent-mode on and then
> looking
> > at the plain text:
> >
> > ***** Test
> > SCHEDULED: <2011-12-23 Fri>
>
> I don't have that behaviour. C-c C-s on an headline, with Org indent
> mode active, indent (virtually) the line like:
>
> > ***** Test
> >       SCHEDULED: <2011-12-23 Fri>
>
> How do you obtain that?

If you disable org-mode after the scheduling and just looking at the plain
text you will see no indentation. This is good (according to me ;) )

Doing the same thing from the start, without org-indent-mode, gives another
result. This is the inconsistency I mention.

Kind regards

@ 2011-12-23 12:29     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-12-23 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gustav Wikström; +Cc: Org Mode List

Gustav Wikström <gustav.erik@gmail.com> writes:

> If you disable org-mode after the scheduling and just looking at the plain
> text you will see no indentation. This is good (according to me ;) )
>
> Doing the same thing from the start, without org-indent-mode, gives another
> result. This is the inconsistency I mention.

So, if I get it right, you claim that virtual indentation isn't
consistent with real indentation. Well, this is true, but also
logical.

Disabling Org mode shouldn't remove all real indentation in the buffer,
should it?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Inconsistent output when logging things between org-indent-mode set to on and off
@ 2011-12-23 12:47       ` Gustav Wikström
From: Gustav Wikström @ 2011-12-23 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

2011/12/23 Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>

> Gustav Wikström <gustav.erik@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > If you disable org-mode after the scheduling and just looking at the
> plain
> > text you will see no indentation. This is good (according to me ;) )
> >
> > Doing the same thing from the start, without org-indent-mode, gives
> another
> > result. This is the inconsistency I mention.
>
> So, if I get it right, you claim that virtual indentation isn't
> consistent with real indentation. Well, this is true, but also
> logical.
>
> Disabling Org mode shouldn't remove all real indentation in the buffer,
> should it?

I don't see why there is real indentation at all. org-indent-mode should
not change the behavior of writing content in a file. It should (imho) just
add virtual indentation to make the presentation better.

Either org-mode with org-indent-mode adds (non-virtual) space when calling
C-c C-s (or other similar function that has this behavior) or org-mode
without org-indent-mode stops adding space when calling these functions.

My opinion is that there should be no space in either setting as default.

@ 2011-12-23 13:28         ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found]           ` <CA+SyOP-D4j1aM-APNaVA8g2w+Httfv8vLyHWRhP9SCg5m2achA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-12-23 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gustav Wikström; +Cc: Org Mode List

Gustav Wikström <gustav.erik@gmail.com> writes:

> 2011/12/23 Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>
>
>> Gustav Wikström <gustav.erik@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > If you disable org-mode after the scheduling and just looking at the
>> plain
>> > text you will see no indentation. This is good (according to me ;) )
>> >
>> > Doing the same thing from the start, without org-indent-mode, gives
>> another
>> > result. This is the inconsistency I mention.
>>
>> So, if I get it right, you claim that virtual indentation isn't
>> consistent with real indentation. Well, this is true, but also
>> logical.
>>
>> Disabling Org mode shouldn't remove all real indentation in the buffer,
>> should it?
>>

> I don't see why there is real indentation at all. org-indent-mode should
> not change the behavior of writing content in a file. It should (imho) just
> add virtual indentation to make the presentation better.

> Either org-mode with org-indent-mode adds (non-virtual) space when calling
> C-c C-s (or other similar function that has this behavior) or org-mode
> without org-indent-mode stops adding space when calling these functions.

> My opinion is that there should be no space in either setting as default.

You may want to have a look at both `org-adapt-indentation' and
`org-indent-mode-turns-off-org-adapt-indentation' variables.

Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2011-12-23 15:58             ` Gustav Wikström
From: Gustav Wikström @ 2011-12-23 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

>> You may want to have a look at both `org-adapt-indentation' and
>> `org-indent-mode-turns-off-org-adapt-indentation' variables.

Ahh, I'll look into them. Would be nice if they defaulted to the same
behavior but being able to customize it solves the problem for me at least.
=)

Kind regards and Merry Christmas

@ 2011-12-23 16:37               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-12-23 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gustav Wikström; +Cc: Org Mode List

Gustav Wikström <gustav.erik@gmail.com> writes:

> Ahh, I'll look into them. Would be nice if they defaulted to the same
> behavior but being able to customize it solves the problem for me at
> least. =)

The default behavior is to turn off `org-adapt-indentation' when
`org-indent-mode' is turned on -- which seems correct.  Anyway,
glad if you found a solution!

--
 Bastien