* Footnotes issue with LaTeX export
@ 2011-12-27  0:15 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-12-27  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm experiencing an issue similar to this one:
--- http://osdir.com/ml/emacs-orgmode-gnu/2011-10/msg00544.html

I have a paragraph in which I reference a dollar amount (preceded by "$").
Attempting to insert a footnote anywhere in that paragraph gets me the
error "Cannot insert a footnote here." Inserting one manually leaves the
text black vs. fontified in the typical link color. Export produces it as
the verbatim text ([fn:xx]) instead of converting it. Trying to escape the
$ sign with \ doesn't fix the issue. Inserting another $ re-activates the
footnote, but that will obviously convert my dollar amount to math font,
which isn't what I want.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

* Re: Footnotes issue with LaTeX export
@ 2011-12-27 10:43 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-12-27 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm experiencing an issue similar to this one:
> --- http://osdir.com/ml/emacs-orgmode-gnu/2011-10/msg00544.html
>
> I have a paragraph in which I reference a dollar amount (preceded by "$").
> Attempting to insert a footnote anywhere in that paragraph gets me the
> error "Cannot insert a footnote here."

[...]

> Any suggestions?

Yes: Can you provide an ECM (Complete Minimal Example), and tell the
version of Org you're using?

Also, does M-: (org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p) return coherent values
(that is nil when point isn't inside a LaTeX fragment) when evaluated
throughout the paragraph?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Footnotes issue with LaTeX export
@ 2012-01-08 19:30   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-01-08 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 4:43 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I'm experiencing an issue similar to this one:
> > --- http://osdir.com/ml/emacs-orgmode-gnu/2011-10/msg00544.html
> >
> > I have a paragraph in which I reference a dollar amount (preceded by
> "$").
> > Attempting to insert a footnote anywhere in that paragraph gets me the
> > error "Cannot insert a footnote here."
>
> [...]
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Yes: Can you provide an ECM (Complete Minimal Example), and tell the
> version of Org you're using?

Sure. Here you are:

-- M-x org-version: Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.61.g59df6)
-- Emacs: 23.3.1

-- Minimal example:

#+begin_src orgmode
* Header

Test paragraph where I insert a dollar amount of $100.

Test paragraph where I insert a dollar amount of \$100.

Test paragraph where I insert a dollar amount of 100.[fn:1]

* Footnotes

[fn:1] Successful; the first two give the error 'Cannot insert a footnote
here'
#+end_src

> Also, does M-: (org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p) return coherent values
> (that is nil when point isn't inside a LaTeX fragment) when evaluated
> throughout the paragraph?

I don't necessarily understand the debugger (what constitutes a full set of
output), but it looks like I might be getting two outputs depending on
where I execute that function:

-- One:
  eval((org-inside-LaTeX-fragment p))
  eval-expression((org-inside-LaTeX-fragment p) nil)
  call-interactively(eval-expression nil nil)
  recursive-edit()
  byte-code("\306\x10 @\307=\203!

-- The other:
  eval((org-inside-LaTeX-fragment p))
  eval-expression((org-inside-LaTeX-fragment p) nil)
  call-interactively(eval-expression nil nil)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
John

@ 2012-01-09  7:05     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-01-09  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> #+begin_src orgmode
> * Header
>
> Test paragraph where I insert a dollar amount of $100.
>
> Test paragraph where I insert a dollar amount of \$100.
>
> Test paragraph where I insert a dollar amount of 100.[fn:1]
>
> * Footnotes
>
> [fn:1] Successful; the first two give the error 'Cannot insert a footnote
> here'
> #+end_src

Yes, that's what I thought: `org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p' is the key.

,----
|(org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p)
|
| Test if point is inside a LaTeX fragment.
| I.e. after a \begin, \(, M-x , $, or $$, without the corresponding closing
| sequence appearing also before point.
| Even though the matchers for math are configurable, this function assumes
| that \begin, \(, \[, and $$ are always used.  Only the single dollar
| delimiters are skipped when they have been removed by customization.
| The return value is nil, or a cons cell with the delimiter and the
| position of this delimiter.
|
| This function does a reasonably good job, but can locally be fooled by
| for example currency specifications.  For example it will assume being in
| inline math after "$22.34".  The LaTeX fragment formatter will only format
| fragments that are properly closed, but during editing, we have to live
| with the uncertainty caused by missing closing delimiters.  This function
| looks only before point, not after.
`----

On purpose, Org won't insert a footnote inside a LaTeX fragment.  But,
in your example, it is fooled by the currency.

One workaround would be to remove "$" as a math delimiter from
`org-format-latex-options'.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Footnotes issue with LaTeX export
@ 2012-01-09 13:56       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-01-09 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > #+begin_src orgmode
> > * Header
> >
> > Test paragraph where I insert a dollar amount of $100.
> >
> > Test paragraph where I insert a dollar amount of \$100.
> >
> > Test paragraph where I insert a dollar amount of 100.[fn:1]
> >
> > * Footnotes
> >
> > [fn:1] Successful; the first two give the error 'Cannot insert a footnote
> > here'
> > #+end_src
>
> Yes, that's what I thought: `org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p' is the key.
>
> ,----
> |(org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p)
> |
> | Test if point is inside a LaTeX fragment.
> | I.e. after a \begin, \(, M-x , $, or $$, without the corresponding
> closing
> | sequence appearing also before point.
> | Even though the matchers for math are configurable, this function assumes
> | that \begin, \(, \[, and $$ are always used.  Only the single dollar
> | delimiters are skipped when they have been removed by customization.
> | The return value is nil, or a cons cell with the delimiter and the
> | position of this delimiter.
> |
> | This function does a reasonably good job, but can locally be fooled by
> | for example currency specifications.  For example it will assume being in
> | inline math after "$22.34".  The LaTeX fragment formatter will only
> format
> | fragments that are properly closed, but during editing, we have to live
> | with the uncertainty caused by missing closing delimiters.  This function
> | looks only before point, not after.
> `----
>
> On purpose, Org won't insert a footnote inside a LaTeX fragment.  But,
> in your example, it is fooled by the currency.
>
> One workaround would be to remove "$" as a math delimiter from
> `org-format-latex-options'.

How about another idea... would it be possible to remove "\$" as a math
delimiter? I *do* use $math$ a bit, at least in this document, and have
=TeX:t and LaTeX:t= in my options... thus, I'm very careful about prefixing
"\" to any instances of $ and %. Removing \$ as a math delimiter or making
"\" register as the "universal escape character" would also do the trick.

If I removed $ as you suggest, could I use \begin{math}/\end{math} inline?
I have quite a bit of inline math.

Thanks!
John

@ 2012-01-09 17:31         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-01-09 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

>> One workaround would be to remove "$" as a math delimiter from
>> `org-format-latex-options'.

> How about another idea... would it be possible to remove "\$" as a math
> delimiter? I *do* use $math$ a bit, at least in this document, and have
> =TeX:t and LaTeX:t= in my options... thus, I'm very careful about prefixing
> "\" to any instances of $ and %. Removing \$ as a math delimiter or making
> "\" register as the "universal escape character" would also do the trick.
>
> If I removed $ as you suggest, could I use \begin{math}/\end{math} inline?
> I have quite a bit of inline math.

You can already use \(inline math\). I don't think there is
a need for extra syntax.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Footnotes issue with LaTeX export
@ 2012-01-09 17:49         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2012-01-09 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> If I removed $ as you suggest, could I use \begin{math}/\end{math} inline?
> I have quite a bit of inline math.

You can use \( ... \) for inline math.  Works well for me.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.90.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.66.g1283)

* Re: Footnotes issue with LaTeX export
@ 2012-01-09 17:56           ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-01-09 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode