Hi Nick, At Sat, 25 Feb 2012 04:20:10 -0500, Nick Dokos wrote: > > I was bitten by this and it took me a while to figure out what was going > on, so maybe I can save somebody some time by recording the problem here. > > I'm using bbdb 2.36devo (i.e. an old bbdb version - see below for my > 3.0 troubles), and although org-bbdb-anniversaries was working fine, > bbdb links did not: C-c l on a bbdb entry would raise an error about > void function bbdb-record-get-field. Now org-bbdb-store-link contains > the following code > > (if org-bbdb-old > (bbdb-record-getprop rec 'company) > (car (bbdb-record-get-field rec 'organization)) > > so clearly org-bbdb-old was nil - but why? It seemed to me that it should > be t since my bbdb was old. > > It turns out that org-bbdb.el contains a line that sets org-bbdb-old > thus: > > (defvar org-bbdb-old (fboundp 'bbdb-record-get-field-internal)) > > Check whether an "old" bbdb function is present and if so, set > org-bbdb-old to t. Basically, the variable tells the rest of org-bbdb.el > whether one's bbdb is old (< 3.0) or not, so that it can use the proper > compatibility layer. This was not working in my case : the variable > resolutely held the value nil, no matter what requires/load-library/ etc > tricks I threw at it. > > The problem was that org-bbdb is part of org-modules by default and that > was loading org-bbdb way too early, certainly before bbdb itself was > loaded. That would set the value to nil and nothing I would do could > change it (short of whacking it with a setq). I pushed a patch that should fix this problem. I wrapped a `eval-after-load' around the `defvar', this should make sure that the variable is set after bbdb was loaded. > > Re: the bbdb 3.0 troubles. I have tried switching to bbdb 3.0 > (specifically "BBDB version 3.02 ($Date: 2012/01/02 10:08:06 $)") but > I've been stymied so far with org-bbdb-anniversaries blowing up (a far > worse scenario than the link problem above - that's why I'm still using > 2.36devo and went after the link fix first). > > The error I get is "Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function > bbdb-record-getprop)" in org-bbdb-anniv-hash (see backtrace below), > but I haven't chased down that problem yet. But it seems there are > people using bbdb 3.0 so I'm wondering what's wrong with my setup. Can't comment on this. Best, -- David -- OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6 Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org Email..... dmaus@ictsoc.de