* Org Mode new Makefile and el-get
@ 2012-04-22  1:54 Mike McLean
From: Mike McLean @ 2012-04-22  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If anyone uses el-get (https://github.com/dimitri/el-get) the recipe for building OrgMode broke with the recent Makefile changes. I submitted a patch to el-get to change the OrgMode build (https://github.com/dimitri/el-get/pull/719).

Specifically, this patch references Samuel Wales’ message: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/55022

* Re: Org Mode new Makefile and el-get
@ 2012-04-22  6:49 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-22  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Mike McLean writes:
> If anyone uses el-get (https://github.com/dimitri/el-get) the recipe
> for building OrgMode broke with the recent Makefile changes. I
> submitted a patch to el-get to change the OrgMode build
> (https://github.com/dimitri/el-get/pull/719).

This is more easily accomplished using the target "oldorg".

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html

* Re: Org Mode new Makefile and el-get
@ 2012-04-22 16:14   ` Mike McLean
From: Mike McLean @ 2012-04-22 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 22, 2012, at 2:49 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Mike McLean writes:
>> If anyone uses el-get (https://github.com/dimitri/el-get) the recipe
>> for building OrgMode broke with the recent Makefile changes. I
>> submitted a patch to el-get to change the OrgMode build
>> (https://github.com/dimitri/el-get/pull/719).
>
> This is more easily accomplished using the target "oldorg".

I did see the “oldorg” references in the email thread; my question is which one is more future proof? I guess (and please tell me if I am incorrect) that the oldorg build is just there for backwards compatibility and that the compile, autoloads, info was the “correct” way.

* Re: Org Mode new Makefile and el-get
@ 2012-04-22 16:25     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-22 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Mike McLean writes:
>> This is more easily accomplished using the target "oldorg".
>
> I did see the “oldorg” references in the email thread; my question is
> which one is more future proof? I guess (and please tell me if I am
> incorrect) that the oldorg build is just there for backwards
> compatibility and that the compile, autoloads, info was the “correct”
> way.

The most future-proof way is to provide a local.mk with suitably defined
definitions for where to put things and then do a "make install".
Otherwise you might not find the ODT style files in the right places or
try to work with out-of-sync autoload files.

The oldorg target is currently defined as doing exactly "compile
autoloads info", but if it turns out that this is still not "compatible
enough" the definition of oldorg might change, but the target will still
be there.

Regards,
Achim.