* Anyone using or working on ob-scheme?
@ 2012-11-22  3:29 Michael Gauland
From: Michael Gauland @ 2012-11-22  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've recently started playing with guile source blocks, and haven't gotten the
results I expect. In particular, I've found that:
    + :results output only returns the first word of the output text.
    + :results value prompts me for a lisp expression, and returns
      whatever I give it.
    + :session generates the message "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"
    + :session abc works the first time, but generates the message "Buffer name
      `abc' is in use" when I try to evaluate the block again.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's had more success than I have, or who is
working on ob-scheme.el, before I wade into the code.

Kind Regards,
Mike

* Re: Anyone using or working on ob-scheme?
@ 2012-11-22 13:05 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-11-22 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Gauland <mikelygee@no8wireless.co.nz> writes:

Hi Mike,

> I've recently started playing with guile source blocks, and haven't
> gotten the results I expect.

> I'd like to hear from anyone who's had more success than I have, or
> who is working on ob-scheme.el, before I wade into the code.

just as a side remark: I remember that, when trying to write
ob-picolisp, I tried to base it on ob-scheme, since it seemed the next
logical thing to do (its about two lisp dialects). And I was surprised
how much had to be changed and how different the final results were.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Anyone using or working on ob-scheme?
@ 2012-11-25 20:07   ` Michael Gauland
From: Michael Gauland @ 2012-11-25 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> just as a side remark: I remember that, when trying to write
> ob-picolisp, I tried to base it on ob-scheme, since it seemed the next
> logical thing to do (its about two lisp dialects). And I was surprised
> how much had to be changed and how different the final results were.

Thanks for you response. Did you need to change so much because the languages
differed more than you expected, or was there another reason?

Any tips you could provide based on your experience would be appreciated.

@ 2012-11-25 20:30     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-11-25 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Gauland <mikelygee@no8wireless.co.nz> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> just as a side remark: I remember that, when trying to write
>> ob-picolisp, I tried to base it on ob-scheme, since it seemed the next
>> logical thing to do (its about two lisp dialects). And I was surprised
>> how much had to be changed and how different the final results were.
>
> Thanks for you response. Did you need to change so much because the languages
> differed more than you expected, or was there another reason?
>
> Any tips you could provide based on your experience would be appreciated.

I forgot all the details, I was an absolute starter with Elisp and I got
stuck sometimes and received help from the org-babel creator Eric
Schulte. Of course some language specific details caused problems, but
the resulting code was not only a copy with some tiny changes.

Maybe you could figure out which parts of ob-scheme don't do what they
should and then compare these parts with its counterparts in
ob-picolisp - it might give you some ideas for alternative solutions.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Anyone using or working on ob-scheme?
@ 2012-11-26 23:34       ` Michael Gauland
From: Michael Gauland @ 2012-11-26 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz <at> googlemail.com> writes:
> I forgot all the details, I was an absolute starter with Elisp and I got
> stuck sometimes and received help from the org-babel creator Eric
> Schulte. Of course some language specific details caused problems, but
> the resulting code was not only a copy with some tiny changes.
>
> Maybe you could figure out which parts of ob-scheme don't do what they
> should and then compare these parts with its counterparts in
> ob-picolisp - it might give you some ideas for alternative solutions.

That sounds like good advice. I'll start poking around, and see what I find.

Wish me luck!

@ 2012-12-19  0:48         ` Jeff Mickey
From: Jeff Mickey @ 2012-12-19  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gauland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Michael Gauland
<mikelygee@no8wireless.co.nz> wrote:
> Wish me luck!

Indeed!

I'm running into these problems as well. I was curious if you've had
any time to work on this.

As a general question to the org list: What dynamic languages similar
to how scheme will interact with it's inferior process (python and
ruby?) have decently complete org babel implementations that I can
look at to fix parts of this? I'd like to get :session working.

  //  jeff

* Re: Anyone using or working on ob-scheme?
@ 2012-12-19  2:02           ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-12-19  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jeff Mickey <jeff@archlinux.org> writes:

> As a general question to the org list: What dynamic languages similar
> to how scheme will interact with it's inferior process (python and
> ruby?) have decently complete org babel implementations that I can
> look at to fix parts of this? I'd like to get :session working.

Maybe have a look at ob-picolisp.el? Its not really tested out there in
the wild, but I had quite a lot of testcases that worked out fine.

Its included in Org-mode, but there is a github repo with two additional
test-files:

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Anyone using or working on ob-scheme?
@ 2012-12-19  2:55           ` Michael Gauland
From: Michael Gauland @ 2012-12-19  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Mickey; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode