* What the difference between the non-source blocks?
@ 2013-06-15  8:37 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-06-15  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi List,

I usually use my gut feeling to decide if I use an EXAMPLE or a QUOTE or
a VERSE block. I would prefer to have a kind of mental decision like

,---------------
| if A
|   then EXAMPLE
|   else if B
|     then QUOTE
|     else VERSE
`---------------

or so. So what would be a complete list of these "verbatim" environments
in Org-mode, and how could their chacteristics be described in a few
words? Can I find that in the manual or somewhere else?

In section 15.2. Easy Templates I find

|example |
|| |

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: What the difference between the non-source blocks?
@ 2013-06-15  8:42 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-06-15  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

[sorry, unfinished post - I did C-c C-c in the table, but it send the
mail instead of aligning the table ;)]

`---------------

or so. So what would be a complete list of these "verbatim" environments
in Org-mode, and how could their chacteristics be described in a few
words? Can I find that in the manual or somewhere else?

In section 15.2. Easy Templates I find

| block   | use for? |
---------------------
|EXAMPLE  |          |
|QUOTE    |          |
|VERSE    |          |
|CENTER   |          |

Is this a complete list? What are the criteria to choose one or the
other?

Thanks for tips or a related link.

--

@ 2013-06-15 12:48   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-06-15 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> I usually use my gut feeling to decide if I use an EXAMPLE or a QUOTE or
> a VERSE block. I would prefer to have a kind of mental decision like
>
> ,---------------
> | if A
> |   then EXAMPLE
> |   else if B
> |     then QUOTE
> |     else VERSE
> `---------------
>
> or so. So what would be a complete list of these "verbatim" environments
> in Org-mode, and how could their chacteristics be described in a few
> words? Can I find that in the manual or somewhere else?
>
> In section 15.2. Easy Templates I find
>
> | block   | use for? |
> ---------------------
> |EXAMPLE  |          |
> |QUOTE    |          |
> |VERSE    |          |
> |CENTER   |          |
>
> Is this a complete list? What are the criteria to choose one or the
> other?
>
> Thanks for tips or a related link.

From the most restrictive environment to the least one:

  - example block :: Indentation, blank lines (excepted at the beginning
                     and the end of the block) and line breaks are
                     preserved. No Org syntax whatsoever is recognized
                     within. This is like a source block without
                     a language (you can number lines...).

  - verse block :: Indentation, blank lines (excepted at the beginning
                   and the end of the block) and line breaks are
                   preserved. Org objects are recognized (e.g.,
                   emphasis) but not elements (e.g., paragraphs)

  - quote block and center block :: They can contain anything, including
    elements (e.g., paragraphs, lists...). Center blocks center their
    contents (duh!) and Quote blocks make them stand out in some way.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: What the difference between the non-source blocks?
@ 2013-06-15 13:28     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-06-15 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

Hello,

>> In section 15.2. Easy Templates I find
>>
>> | block   | use for? |
>> ---------------------
>> |EXAMPLE  |          |
>> |QUOTE    |          |
>> |VERSE    |          |
>> |CENTER   |          |
>>
>> Is this a complete list? What are the criteria to choose one or the
>> other?
>>
>> Thanks for tips or a related link.
>
> From the most restrictive environment to the least one:
>
>   - example block :: Indentation, blank lines (excepted at the beginning
>                      and the end of the block) and line breaks are
>                      preserved. No Org syntax whatsoever is recognized
>                      within. This is like a source block without
>                      a language (you can number lines...).
>
>   - verse block :: Indentation, blank lines (excepted at the beginning
>                    and the end of the block) and line breaks are
>                    preserved. Org objects are recognized (e.g.,
>                    emphasis) but not elements (e.g., paragraphs)
>
>   - quote block and center block :: They can contain anything, including
>     elements (e.g., paragraphs, lists...). Center blocks center their
>     contents (duh!) and Quote blocks make them stand out in some way.

Thanks, thats valuable information. I asked myself what are the exact
differences between these blocks quite often. Wouldn't this be important
information for the user manual?

--
cheers,
Thorsten