* C-c C-c in Org Footnotes
@ 2014-02-18 16:11 Samuel Schaumburg
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Samuel Schaumburg @ 2014-02-18 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

I frequently use org to write outlines for my thesis-papers. This often
requires lenghty footnotes. The manual says, that I can use C-c C-c to
jump back into the main text, where the footnote was originally set.
 back to the footnotemark. I can use C-a if it is just a one line, but
 often it is not, and I find myself moving around in the buffer some
 way, to get back to the footnote mark and then C-c C-c.

What I would like to know is, wether there is an easy way, to just make
C-c C-c work whenever I am in a footnote paragraph, no mater where the
cursor currently is positioned.

If you have any idea on how to do that, I would appreciate that.

Thanks
Samuel

* Re: C-c C-c in Org Footnotes
@ 2014-02-18 21:38 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-02-18 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Samuel Schaumburg <eagleeye777@hotmail.de> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I frequently use org to write outlines for my thesis-papers. This often
> requires lenghty footnotes. The manual says, that I can use C-c C-c to
> jump back into the main text, where the footnote was originally set.
>  back to the footnotemark. I can use C-a if it is just a one line, but
>  often it is not, and I find myself moving around in the buffer some
>  way, to get back to the footnote mark and then C-c C-c.
>
> What I would like to know is, wether there is an easy way, to just make
> C-c C-c work whenever I am in a footnote paragraph, no mater where the
> cursor currently is positioned.
>
> If you have any idea on how to do that, I would appreciate that.

In the following example, where | is the cursor, I can go back by
issuing C-c &.

    r[fn:1]

    * Footnotes

    [fn:1] horse

    cow |

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
El Rey ha muerto. ¡Larga vida al Rey!

* Re: C-c C-c in Org Footnotes
@ 2014-02-19  2:37 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-02-19  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Samuel Schaumburg <eagleeye777@hotmail.de> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I frequently use org to write outlines for my thesis-papers. This often
> requires lenghty footnotes. The manual says, that I can use C-c C-c to
> jump back into the main text, where the footnote was originally set.
>  back to the footnotemark. I can use C-a if it is just a one line, but
>  often it is not, and I find myself moving around in the buffer some
>  way, to get back to the footnote mark and then C-c C-c.
>
> What I would like to know is, wether there is an easy way, to just make
> C-c C-c work whenever I am in a footnote paragraph, no mater where the
> cursor currently is positioned.
>
> If you have any idea on how to do that, I would appreciate that.
>
> Thanks
> Samuel

I'm not sure if this counts as an "easy" way, but you could add a
function to org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-final-hook, that checks if you're in a
multi-line footnote definition and then calls org-footnote-action as if
you were. I say put it in the final hook just so it doesn't clobber
anything else that C-c C-c might want to do at point. It could look
like (very lightly tested):

(defun my-return-from-fn ()
  (let* ((context (org-element-context))
	 (parent (org-element-property :parent context)))
    (when (eq (org-element-type parent) 'footnote-definition)
      (goto-char (org-element-property :post-affiliated context))
      (call-interactively 'org-footnote-action))))

(add-hook 'org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-final-hook 'my-return-from-fn)

It still tells you "C-c C-c can do nothing useful at this location", but
at least it returns you to the right place!

* Re: C-c C-c in Org Footnotes
@ 2014-02-19 16:45   ` Samuel Schaumburg
From: Samuel Schaumburg @ 2014-02-19 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks Eric,

I think that will do.

Cheers
Samuel

@ 2014-02-19 20:53 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-02-19 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Schaumburg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

this doesn't answer your question, but i find that inline footnotes
keep everything together.

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.