From: Stefan Huchler <stefan.huchler@mail.de>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: how to force org-mode to interpret number as string
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 05:12:38 +0100	[thread overview]

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Stefan Huchler <stefan.huchler@mail.de> writes:
>
>> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Stefan,

>>> That a problem here, but I guess this is handy in many circumstances.
>>>
>>> Why don't use just turn the number into a string in your code?
>>
>> if I could do that, without loosing the numbers behind the point I would
>> be ok with that, but I dont want a fixed system for 1 table, but for a
>> random table.
>>

> I think that for this to work you may have to abandon using "." as your
> numerical thousands separator.  Or customize string-to-number and
> org-babel-number-p to fit your number syntax.
>
> Best,

I think the way I have to go is to use export the table to csv then it
looses some of its "cleverness" and does what it should do in the first
place.

Hmm I just thought a second, maybe it does also do that
data-manipulation also before it exports it, but no org-table-export
does export it like a string.

So here you have one bug, its inconsistent.

So yes the easiest workaround is most likely to export it to a csv in /tmp/...
and then parse it back ^^.

Again I am suprised that there is no serial-mail package for emacs, then
I would not even have to write this code.

Sorry that I am maybe not so constructive but it´s stuff that should
work and now you say that I should fix that upstream with me having written 50 lines
of lisp code in my life.

And how big are the chances that it gets included, when you people do
not even consider that as a bug / needed feature.

But sorry I really flame to much, I just find some stuff really stupid,
as example why did I need to make out of a table a dict in the first
place to put it into a list with lists is really stupid, dicts are more
confortable I know in elisp maybe it has another name, but its similar
and even in python I get no list of dicts (lines).

Is it because of monstroses big Tables and performance problems?

Sorry I can´t stopp. Still there is much great stuff there. Else I would
not try to migrate my life into emacs ^^ ;)