From: Richard Lawrence <richard.lawrence@berkeley.edu>
To: Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org release 8.2.5g (minor release from maint)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 09:28:45 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi Bastien,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Any reason why Debian developers are not using 24.3 as the stable
> version of Emacs?  It has been out for now one year.

Well, the way that the Debian stable release works is that they ship the
latest stable version of a package which is available at the time of
their pre-release "freeze".  After the freeze, packages only receive
updates for critical bugs and security fixes for the lifetime of the
release.

The current release (Debian Wheezy) was frozen on 2012-06-30 and
released 2013-05-04. I think Emacs 24 probably just barely missed the
Wheezy release, as 24.1 was released 2012-06-10.  My guess is that the
Debian maintainers either didn't consider 24.1 stable enough yet for
Wheezy, or they just weren't sure and didn't want to take the chance.

The next release (Jessie) is not yet frozen, and some post-24 Emacs will
certainly be included when it is.

Anyway, I don't think Org should be beholden to distributions' release
cycles in general.  Users like me who are happy with an older Emacs but
want a newer Org are probably a very small minority (but speak up if
you're out there!).  And for these users, it is probably only a minor
inconvenience to have to install cl-lib or a newer Emacs.  That is at
least true in my case.  If introducing a dependency on cl-lib right now
will be the best thing for Org, I have no real objections; if it can be
put off for a while without significant cost, that would be great, but
it isn't necessary.

Best,
Richard