Joseph Vidal-Rosset writes: > Many thanks Eric for this email and the attachment. > > Of course it is very useful. > > 2014-08-05 2:23 GMT+02:00 Eric Schulte : > >> Hi List, >> >> I thoroughly enjoyed using Org-mode to write my dissertation. I was >> happy to be able to export (mostly) equivalent versions of the document >> to HTML and PDF. I'd recommend using Org-mode for such a complex >> writing task to those who are either willing to hack the exporter, or >> are willing to accept an Org-mode document with inline LaTeX which only >> /really/ works with the LaTeX backend. >> >> As I fall in the former category, here are the small extensions to the >> Org-mode exporter which I found necessary. Thanks to the new exporting >> backend they were uniformly easy to implement. They are included in the >> attached elisp file. Each pagefeed (^L) in the file marks a new section >> of functionality, the sections are as follows... >> >> 1. Ignore Headlines and keep content (discussed here recently) >> 2. Multi-column Table Cells >> 3. Wide tables extend into the margins. >> 4. Wide tables squeezed within the margins >> 5. "sc" links for the \sc{} latex command >> 6. "gls" links for the \gls{} family of Glossary commands >> 7. color links >> 8. TIKZ figure links >> 9. Tie certain latex commands to the preceding word. >> 10. Fix emphasis in text export >> >> A simplified version of my Makefile is also attached. I hope someone >> finds this useful. >> >> Best, >> Eric >> > > Can you tell us how using the Makefile in order to test all these functions > for a dissertation? The Makefile and the code do not need to be used together. > I am especially interested by points 2 and 8. > For point 2 try adding the following above a wide table in an Org-mode document (after evaluating the code). #+ATTR_LaTeX: :environment wide On export this should allow your table to cut into the page margins (note: for my school I later had to undo this as there were strict rules about margins in dissertations). Point 8 is a little more involved. I prefer to convert my TIKZ figures to svg for HTML export, and keep them as raw tikz for LaTeX export. I found that the easiest way to do this (for me at least), was to keep the figures in external .tex files. I would then manually generate an svg version of these files using the tex2svg script (attached). With these files on hand, the code in Point 8 will export Org-mode text like the following. #+name: llvm-mutation #+Caption[LLVM Transformations]: Illustration of transformations over LLVM IR. These transformations require that the SSA data dependency graph be repaired after each mutation. #+TIKZ_Figure: llvm-mutation so that the file llvm-mutation.tex is included in LaTeX export wrapped in a figure, and the file llvm-mutation.svg is included as an image in HTML export. Best, Eric