* C-x RET r utf-8 RET
@ 2014-12-08  6:09 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-12-08  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I'm trying to set this

╭────
│C-x RET r utf-8 RET
╰────

as "C-x zx" as I'm finding that I need to use this block-quoted
command fairly regularly for some unknown reason.

I have set it as

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(global-set-key (kbd "C-x zx") 'r utf8)
#+END_SRC

but the system rejects it as the "utf8" stage.

How can I set it please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.1.0

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: C-x RET r utf-8 RET
@ 2014-12-08  7:35 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-12-08  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I'm trying to set this
>
> ╭────
> │C-x RET r utf-8 RET
> ╰────
>
> as "C-x zx" as I'm finding that I need to use this block-quoted
> command fairly regularly for some unknown reason.
>
> I have set it as
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-x zx") 'r utf8)
> #+END_SRC
>
> but the system rejects it as the "utf8" stage.

You've got a small confusion here between "key sequence" and "command
name". Up at the top, you're typing in the key sequence "C-x RET r".
That key sequence calls the command `revert-buffer-with-coding-system'.
You can verify this by using "C-h c" (for describe-key-briefly) and then
typing "C-x RET r". Or, the other way around, by typing "C-h w" (for
where-is), then "revert-buffer-with-coding-system".

When you set your global keys, the key sequence needs to point at a
_command_, not at more keys. We already know what the command name is,
so it will look like:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-x zx") 'revert-buffer-with-coding-system)

But that doesn't include the utf-8 part: using this key sequence will
still prompt you for a coding system. You could do that in a lambda, but
it probably won't accept a non-interactive function, so you'll likely
want something a little more complicated:

(defun my-set-coding-system-to-utf8 ()
  (interactive)
  (revert-buffer-with-coding-system 'utf-8))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-x zx") 'my-set-coding-system-to-utf8)

Give that a shot!

Note that the coding system specified is the symbol 'utf-8. It needs to
be quoted, and it needs to have the hyphen. I have more than once tried
to set my coding systems to 'utf8, to no avail.

Yours,
Eric

* Re: C-x RET r utf-8 RET
@ 2014-12-08  9:00   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-12-08  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-12-08, at 08:35, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> [...] You could do that in a lambda, but
> it probably won't accept a non-interactive function, [...]

Out of curiosity: can't a lambda (in e.g. global-set-key) be made
interactive?  I did this right now:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-z C-s") (lambda () (interactive) (message "It can be done!")))

and it seems to work.  Is it going to change e.g. in future Emacs
versions, IOW, is it deprecated or something?

> Yours,
> Eric

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: C-x RET r utf-8 RET
@ 2014-12-08  9:39     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-12-08  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> On 2014-12-08, at 08:35, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> [...] You could do that in a lambda, but
>> it probably won't accept a non-interactive function, [...]
>
> Out of curiosity: can't a lambda (in e.g. global-set-key) be made
> interactive?  I did this right now:
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-z C-s") (lambda () (interactive) (message "It can be done!")))
>
> and it seems to work.  Is it going to change e.g. in future Emacs
> versions, IOW, is it deprecated or something?

No, you're quite right, I was just answering off the cuff, without
thorough thought. It is indeed possible to stick (interactive) inside of
a lambda, though intuition tells me that that it's not generally good
practice -- Emacs' introspection functions will probably at some point
bark at you for not having a named function, and it will make it harder
to use the built-in help functions to figure out what's going on. But
yes, you're right, it's definitely possible.

* Re: C-x RET r utf-8 RET
@ 2014-12-08 12:09       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-12-08 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-12-08, at 10:39, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> No, you're quite right, I was just answering off the cuff, without
> thorough thought. It is indeed possible to stick (interactive) inside of
> a lambda, though intuition tells me that that it's not generally good
> practice -- Emacs' introspection functions will probably at some point
> bark at you for not having a named function, and it will make it harder
> to use the built-in help functions to figure out what's going on. But
> yes, you're right, it's definitely possible.

You're probably right - describe-key works (of course), but in an ideal
way (somehow jumping to the source won't work;-) - but a docstring
will!).

Best.

--

@ 2014-12-08 13:34   ` Sharon Kimble