From: Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Best practices to get reminders?
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 21:12:07 -0700	[thread overview]

On Apr 06 2015, jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) wrote:
> Nikolaus Rath writes:
>
>> However, there's one thing where I feel lost. I don't expect to
>> be editing my orgmode files on a daily basis (at least not yet),
>> so how can I make sure that I don't miss an important deadline?
>> It seems to me that it doesn't help much if instead of worrying
>> to forget a deadline I now have to worry about forgetting to
>> check my org-mode agenda...
>>
>> How do other people handle this? Is everyone else opening and
>> working on their org files daily so that this becomes a
>> non-issue?
>
> You can put this after your org-agenda-files configuration in your
> .emacs:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>   (appt-activate 1)
>   (org-agenda-to-appt)
> #+END_SRC
> Then you will be reminded of things in your org files, before the
> appointment time (I think 12 min is the default).

Hmm. I tried it with this test-event:

* TODO Test task
  SCHEDULED: <2015-04-07 Tue>

But running (org-agenda-to-appt) just gives "No event to add".

Is this because there is no time specified? I'm not really concerned
with appointments that have a time span, but with projects that have
specific due dates...

Best,
-Nikolaus