* Exporter aborts upon encountering even one unresolvable link
@ 2015-09-25  2:50 D. C. Toedt
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: D. C. Toedt @ 2015-09-25  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just updated to 8.3.1 from 8.3beta (from git).  That appears to have been
a terrible mistake on my part.

From this thread
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2015-09/msg00040.html> I
see that the exporter now throws an error and aborts when it encounters an
unresolvable link.  That makes things really, REALLY difficult.  It means I
can't get a complete, working export to HTML (in my case) until all link
problems are fixed in my 22KLOC .org file (which I use to generate
http://www.CommonDraft.org/index.html
<http://www.commondraft.org/index.html>).  That seems EXTREMELY suboptimal.
(I'm trying to be tactful here.)

Worse, the exporter doesn't even generate a list of unresolvable links
before aborting.  That means the only way that I can find and fix busted
links (so far as I know) is to do an export --- which takes several minutes
given the large file  --- and have the export abort on a single link. Then
I fix that one link, export again, and have it abort again. Repeat.
Aaaargggggg.

I started looking at the hooks, as suggested in a message in the previous
thread, but I'm not nearly skilled enough in elisp to be able to do
anything useful.

Any suggestions?

*D. C. Toedt III  **(My last name is pronounced "Tate"; I go by "D. C.,"
which stands for Dell Charles**) *
Attorney & neutral arbitrator -- tech contracts & IP  |  Adjunct professor,
University of Houston Law Center
​Author, ​​​Common Draft <http://www.commondraft.org/> desk book of
contract clauses & research notes   |  LinkedIn: dctoedt
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/dctoedt>   |   Calendar
<https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=dc.toedt@toedt.com&mode=WEEK>
(redacted)
E: dc@toedt.com    O: +1 (713) 364-6545    C: +1 (713) 516-8968
​​

​
Houston, Texas (Central time zone)

Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is not intended
to serve as assent to an agreement or other document, whether or not
attached to this message.

* Re: Exporter aborts upon encountering even one unresolvable link
@ 2015-09-25  3:00 ` D. C. Toedt
From: D. C. Toedt @ 2015-09-25  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

P.S.:   Thank heavens for Time Machine.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 9:50 PM, D. C. Toedt <dc@toedt.com> wrote:

> I just updated to 8.3.1 from 8.3beta (from git).  That appears to have
> been a terrible mistake on my part.
>
> From this thread
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2015-09/msg00040.html>
> I see that the exporter now throws an error and aborts when it encounters
> an unresolvable link.  That makes things really, REALLY difficult.  It
> means I can't get a complete, working export to HTML (in my case) until all
> link problems are fixed in my 22KLOC .org file (which I use to generate
> http://www.CommonDraft.org/index.html
> <http://www.commondraft.org/index.html>).  That seems EXTREMELY
> suboptimal. (I'm trying to be tactful here.)
>
> Worse, the exporter doesn't even generate a list of unresolvable links
> before aborting.  That means the only way that I can find and fix busted
> links (so far as I know) is to do an export --- which takes several minutes
> given the large file  --- and have the export abort on a single link.
> Then I fix that one link, export again, and have it abort again. Repeat.
> Aaaargggggg.
>
> I started looking at the hooks, as suggested in a message in the previous
> thread, but I'm not nearly skilled enough in elisp to be able to do
> anything useful.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> *D. C. Toedt III  **(My last name is pronounced "Tate"; I go by "D. C.,"
> which stands for Dell Charles**) *
> Attorney & neutral arbitrator -- tech contracts & IP  |  Adjunct
> professor, University of Houston Law Center
> ​Author, ​​​Common Draft <http://www.commondraft.org/> desk book of
> contract clauses & research notes   |  LinkedIn: dctoedt
> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/dctoedt>   |   Calendar
> <https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=dc.toedt@toedt.com&mode=WEEK>
> (redacted)
> E: dc@toedt.com    O: +1 (713) 364-6545    C: +1 (713) 516-8968
> ​​
>
> ​
> Houston, Texas (Central time zone)
>
> Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is not intended
> to serve as assent to an agreement or other document, whether or not
> attached to this message.

* Re: Exporter aborts upon encountering even one unresolvable link
@ 2015-09-25  7:04 ` Rainer M Krug
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-09-25  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D. C. Toedt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"D. C. Toedt" <dc@toedt.com> writes:

> I just updated to 8.3.1 from 8.3beta (from git).  That appears to have been
> a terrible mistake on my part.>
> From this thread
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2015-09/msg00040.html> I
> see that the exporter now throws an error and aborts when it encounters an
> unresolvable link.  That makes things really, REALLY difficult.  It means I
> can't get a complete, working export to HTML (in my case) until all link
> problems are fixed in my 22KLOC .org file (which I use to generate
> http://www.CommonDraft.org/index.html
> <http://www.commondraft.org/index.html>).  That seems EXTREMELY suboptimal.
> (I'm trying to be tactful here.)

See the thread
,----
|  Bug: Export to html fails when link to header in non existing file in
|  document present WAS: Error export to html - "Org-publish-cache-get:
|  `org-publish-cache-get' called, but no cache present" [8.3beta
|  (release_8.3beta-1115-g8f3946 @
|  /Users/rainerkrug/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)]
`----

For further details.

> Worse, the exporter doesn't even generate a list of unresolvable links
> before aborting.  That means the only way that I can find and fix busted
> links (so far as I know) is to do an export --- which takes several minutes
> given the large file  --- and have the export abort on a single link. Then
> I fix that one link, export again, and have it abort again. Repeat.
> Aaaargggggg.

You can use org-lint for this.

> I started looking at the hooks, as suggested in a message in the previous
> thread, but I'm not nearly skilled enough in elisp to be able to do
> anything useful.

Look at publishing instead of exporting to html which works with
missing links.

I have the following in my emacs.org which makes it possible to publish
all org files to html in the folder ./pubHTML/ which is equivalent to
exporting.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq org-publish-project-alist
      '(
        ("local"
         :base-directory "./"
         :base-extension "org"
         :publishing-directory "./pubHTML/"
         :recursive t
         :publishing-function org-html-publish-to-html
         :headline-levels 6
         :auto-preamble t)
        ))
#+end_src

Cheers,

Rainer

> Any suggestions?
>

> *D. C. Toedt III  **(My last name is pronounced "Tate"; I go by "D. C.,"
> which stands for Dell Charles**) *
> Attorney & neutral arbitrator -- tech contracts & IP  |  Adjunct professor,
> University of Houston Law Center
> ​Author, ​​​Common Draft <http://www.commondraft.org/> desk book of
> contract clauses & research notes   |  LinkedIn: dctoedt
> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/dctoedt>   |   Calendar
> <https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=dc.toedt@toedt.com&mode=WEEK>
> (redacted)
> E: dc@toedt.com    O: +1 (713) 364-6545    C: +1 (713) 516-8968
> ​​
>
> ​
> Houston, Texas (Central time zone)
>
> Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is not intended
> to serve as assent to an agreement or other document, whether or not
> attached to this message.

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Exporter aborts upon encountering even one unresolvable link
@ 2015-09-25  7:05   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-09-25  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D. C. Toedt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"D. C. Toedt" <dc@toedt.com> writes:

> P.S.:   Thank heavens for Time Machine.

True - but mainly for other things.

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 9:50 PM, D. C. Toedt <dc@toedt.com> wrote:
>
>> I just updated to 8.3.1 from 8.3beta (from git).  That appears to have
>> been a terrible mistake on my part.
>>
>> From this thread
>> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2015-09/msg00040.html>
>> I see that the exporter now throws an error and aborts when it encounters
>> an unresolvable link.  That makes things really, REALLY difficult.  It
>> means I can't get a complete, working export to HTML (in my case) until all
>> link problems are fixed in my 22KLOC .org file (which I use to generate
>> http://www.CommonDraft.org/index.html
>> <http://www.commondraft.org/index.html>).  That seems EXTREMELY
>> suboptimal. (I'm trying to be tactful here.)
>>
>> Worse, the exporter doesn't even generate a list of unresolvable links
>> before aborting.  That means the only way that I can find and fix busted
>> links (so far as I know) is to do an export --- which takes several minutes
>> given the large file  --- and have the export abort on a single link.
>> Then I fix that one link, export again, and have it abort again. Repeat.
>> Aaaargggggg.
>>
>> I started looking at the hooks, as suggested in a message in the previous
>> thread, but I'm not nearly skilled enough in elisp to be able to do
>> anything useful.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

>> *D. C. Toedt III  **(My last name is pronounced "Tate"; I go by "D. C.,"
>> which stands for Dell Charles**) *
>> Attorney & neutral arbitrator -- tech contracts & IP  |  Adjunct
>> professor, University of Houston Law Center
>> ​Author, ​​​Common Draft <http://www.commondraft.org/> desk book of
>> contract clauses & research notes   |  LinkedIn: dctoedt
>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/dctoedt>   |   Calendar
>> <https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=dc.toedt@toedt.com&mode=WEEK>
>> (redacted)
>> E: dc@toedt.com    O: +1 (713) 364-6545    C: +1 (713) 516-8968
>> ​​
>>
>> ​
>> Houston, Texas (Central time zone)
>>
>> Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is not intended
>> to serve as assent to an agreement or other document, whether or not
>> attached to this message.

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Exporter aborts upon encountering even one unresolvable link
@ 2015-09-28  2:19   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-09-28  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 09:04:29AM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:

> Look at publishing instead of exporting to html which works with
> missing links.

That sounds a bit fishy.  AFAIK, ox-publish just wraps around the usual
org-export-as functions from ox.el.  I could be wrong of course.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Exporter aborts upon encountering even one unresolvable link
@ 2015-09-28  7:53 ` thomas
From: thomas @ 2015-09-28  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

just my 2 cents: I think the new error message is very nice and helpful,
UNLESS you work on a bigger document, narrow your buffer and try to
export the narrowed portion of the document.
This does not work anymore.

I can agree with D. C. Toedt that it would be nice to have an easy way
to customize this behaviour of the exporter.

- thomas

@ 2015-09-28 11:21   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-09-28 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

thomas <thomas@friendlyvillagers.com> writes:

> just my 2 cents: I think the new error message is very nice and helpful, UNLESS you work on a bigger document, narrow your buffer and try to export the narrowed portion of the
> document.
> This does not work anymore.
>
> I can agree with D. C. Toedt that it would be nice to have an easy way to customize this behaviour of the exporter.

See the thread with title "[RFC] Draft mode":

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/101542

--
Nick

* Re: Exporter aborts upon encountering even one unresolvable link
@ 2015-10-07 13:51   ` D. C. Toedt
From: D. C. Toedt @ 2015-10-07 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

To the org-mode maintainers (all praise and thanks to them, incidentally):
 Is there any chance that this can be made into a per-file configuration
#+OPTION?  No doubt the publishing approach suggested by Rainer (thanks
also to him for suggesting it) would work, but it would take some effort to
get it set up; I've looked into publishing on previous occasions and
concluded it was easier just to do a simple HTML export.  Other things
being equal, #+OPTION options would be easier for non-expert users such as
me to work with, than fiddling with the .emacs file.

D. C. Toedt III
*(My last name is pronounced "Tate")*
Attorney & arbitrator -- tech contracts & IP
Common Draft <http://www.CommonDraft.org> contracts project
O: +1 (713) 364-6545
C: +1 (713) 516-8968
​​

dc@toedt.com
www.OnContracts.com/About

Unless expressly stated otherwise,
this message is not intended to serve
as assent to an agreement or other document,
even if attached to this message.

[portions omitted]​​

@ 2015-10-07 14:02     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-10-07 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D. C. Toedt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"D. C. Toedt" <dc@toedt.com> writes:

> To the org-mode maintainers (all praise and thanks to them, incidentally):
>  Is there any chance that this can be made into a per-file configuration
> #+OPTION?  No doubt the publishing approach suggested by Rainer (thanks
> also to him for suggesting it) would work, but it would take some effort to
> get it set up; I've looked into publishing on previous occasions and
> concluded it was easier just to do a simple HTML export.

Partly true.

If you add

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq org-publish-project-alist
      '(
        ("local"
         :base-directory "./"
         :base-extension "org"
         :publishing-directory "./pubHTML/"
         :recursive t
         :publishing-function org-html-publish-to-html
         :headline-levels 6
         :auto-preamble t)
        ))
#+end_src

to your emacs.el file you will have the publishing into a subdirectory
called "./pubHTML/" in the current directory.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Other things
> being equal, #+OPTION options would be easier for non-expert users such as
> me to work with, than fiddling with the .emacs file.
>
> D. C. Toedt III
> *(My last name is pronounced "Tate")*
> Attorney & arbitrator -- tech contracts & IP
> Common Draft <http://www.CommonDraft.org> contracts project
> O: +1 (713) 364-6545
> C: +1 (713) 516-8968
> ​​
>
> dc@toedt.com
> www.OnContracts.com/About
>
> Unless expressly stated otherwise,
> this message is not intended to serve
> as assent to an agreement or other document,
> even if attached to this message.
>

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 12:04 AM, Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> wrote:
>
> [portions omitted]​​
>

>> ​​
>> Look at publishing instead of exporting to html which works with
>> ​​
>> missing links.
>> ​​
>>
>> ​​
>> I have the following in my emacs.org which makes it possible to publish
>> all org files to html in the folder ./pubHTML/ which is equivalent to
>> exporting.
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>> (setq org-publish-project-alist
>>       '(
>>         ("local"
>>          :base-directory "./"
>>          :base-extension "org"
>>          :publishing-directory "./pubHTML/"
>>          :recursive t
>>          :publishing-function org-html-publish-to-html
>>          :headline-levels 6
>>          :auto-preamble t)
>>         ))
>> #+end_src

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Exporter aborts upon encountering even one unresolvable link
@ 2015-10-09 22:28   ` D. C. Toedt
From: D. C. Toedt @ 2015-10-09 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> Look at publishing instead of exporting to html which works with missing
links.
​​

Apparently it doesn't.
I'm still having the same problem of throwing a fatal error --- even when
publishing, not exporting --- when encountering a missing (unresolvable)
link.  This was after doing a clean install of org-mode 8.3.2 (20151005,
using the emacs package manager) on top of a clean install of the latest
stable version of emacs (24.5) from EmacsForMacOSX. (I'm running the latest
version of Mac OS X Yosemite; haven't gotten around to El Capitan.)  I then
set up publishing the way Rainer suggested in his email.  Well, publishing
likewise throws an error when it encounters a missing link target, just as
does exporting.

> You can use org-lint for this.

I haven't tried org-lint yet (
http://steve.planetbarr.com/posts/2015-08-11-org-lint.html).  That requires
building org from a separate branch in git.  That makes me nervous -- I'm a
user, not a dev, and while I'm sort of familiar with git, it seems like yet
another layer of complexity.

I don't mean to be a nag, but I genuinely don't understand why org-mode's
former way of dealing with unresolvable links during export was disabled.
The old way, namely just marking the problem link in the output file and
continuing with the export, made it very easy to search for the problem in
the output file. That approach was simple and worked quite well.  It also
allowed exporting a single .org file, instead of jumping through the hoops
of publishing a project.  The new way seems like a giant step backwards;
it's likely to be a significant barrier to entry for non-expert users.

Can the old way of dealing with unresolvable links be restored, at least as
an option?

D. C. Toedt III
*(My last name is pronounced "Tate")*
Attorney & arbitrator -- tech contracts & IP
Common Draft <http://www.CommonDraft.org> toolkit for contract drafters
O: +1 (713) 364-6545
C: +1 (713) 516-8968
​​