Hello, A few weeks ago, I posted on this ML a proof of concept about dynamic numbering of headlines in an Org buffer. Since then, I worked on it more seriously, improved it, and threw in some features. Here is an excerpt of its commentary section: This library provides dynamic numbering for Org headlines. Use to toggle it. You can select what is numbered according to level, tags, COMMENT keyword, or UNNUMBERED property. You can also skip footnotes sections. See `org-num-max-level', `org-num-skip-tags', `org-num-skip-commented', `org-num-skip-unnumbered', and `org-skip-footnotes' for details. You can also control how the numbering is displayed by setting `org-num-face' and `org-num-format-function'. I tested it a bit, even in relatively large documents like the Org manual, without problem. I also wrote a test suite for that library. Since it is very much Org-specific, and a basic feature you could expect from Org, I'd like to add it in core. So, if there is no strong objection to it, it can go in Org 9.3. I attach the library for further testing, suggestions, remarks… Let me know what you think. Regards, -- Nicolas Goaziou