* Coloured source code examples in --batch exports?
@ 2019-06-13 15:20 Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2019-06-13 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Consider a file =foo.org= with the following content:

#+begin_src org :tangle foo.org
,#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun foo (a b c)
    "A metasyntactic function that doesn't do much."
    (interactive)
    (message "foo"))
,#+end_src
#+end_src

I can export that to HTML and get a nicely colourized export like so:

#+begin_src sh :results output verbatim
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs --file foo.org --eval '(progn (package-initialize) (org-html-export-to-html nil nil nil t) (kill-emacs))'
cat foo.html
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: <div class="org-src-container">
:   <span style="font-style: italic;">"A metasyntactic function that doesn't do much."</span>
:   (<span style="font-weight: bold;">interactive</span>)
:   (message <span style="font-style: italic;">"foo"</span>))
: </pre>
: </div>

However, I can't run it like that because I'm trying to run it headless
on CirleCI, where neither DISPLAY nor TERM environment variables are
set. (Yes, I'm trying to automate my blog publishing.)

Adding a ~--batch~ flag to the command makes the command run on
CircleCI, but I get a less colourful (and less pleasing) result. The
markup appears to only use /italic/ and *bold* styles now.

#+begin_src sh :results output verbatim
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs --batch --file foo.org --eval '(progn (package-initialize) (org-html-export-to-html nil nil nil t) (kill-emacs))'
cat foo.html
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: <div class="org-src-container">
:   <span style="font-style: italic;">"A metasyntactic function that doesn't do much."</span>
:   (<span style="font-weight: bold;">interactive</span>)
:   (message <span style="font-style: italic;">"foo"</span>))
: </pre>
: </div>

Is there a way I can get the nicely coloured output while exporting in
~--batch~ mode?

Stig

PS: In reality I'm using Org's publishing setup, but it was easier to
create a minimal example using export than an ECM that involves having
to configure ~org-publish-project-alist~...

* Re: Coloured source code examples in --batch exports?
@ 2019-06-13 20:16 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2019-06-13 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Stig Brautaset <stig@brautaset.org> writes:

> Adding a ~--batch~ flag to the command makes the command run on
> CircleCI, but I get a less colourful (and less pleasing) result. The
> markup appears to only use /italic/ and *bold* styles now.

--batch skips your initialization file. You will have to provide a minimal
load file that does the initializations you need and then use -l to load it:

emacs --batch -l my-init-file.el --file foo.org \
      --eval '(progn (package-initialize) (org-html-export-to-html nil nil nil t) (kill-emacs))'

Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: Coloured source code examples in --batch exports?
@ 2019-06-13 21:34   ` Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2019-06-13 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Stig Brautaset <stig@brautaset.org> writes:

>> Adding a ~--batch~ flag to the command makes the command run on
>> CircleCI, but I get a less colourful (and less pleasing) result. The
>> markup appears to only use /italic/ and *bold* styles now.
>>

> --batch skips your initialization file. You will have to provide a minimal
> load file that does the initializations you need and then use -l to load it:

Thank you. I did have a separate init file, but at the time I hadn't
figured out what to put in it! (I simplified my ECM too much!) However,
I've since discovered the magic org-html-htmlize-output-type variable
that does what I need.

My apologies for wasting people's time. I should have spent a bit more
time searching the archives, and less time building an ECM to
demonstrate something documented not to work!

Stig