* Editting from the agenda view
@ 2019-11-22 15:25 Shérab
From: Shérab @ 2019-11-22 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

Apologies for what's probably a totally dumb question but I am unable to
find the answer although I did read the doc.

When I am in an agenda view, say the weekly view, how can I edit one of
the listed entries? I may want to do that either because I notice I have
made a typo that I would like to fix, or because I would like to
re-schedule the entry for another date.

Which workflow should I use to achieve this?

Many thanks in advance for your help for this feature I am very much
interested in,

Shérab.

* Re: Editting from the agenda view
@ 2019-11-22 15:55 ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2019-11-22 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Hi Shérab,

I usually press Enter on the entry, which takes you to the file from where
it came, and you can edit it there.

If there's a way to remote-edit it from the agenda view, I'd also love to
know about it :)

--Diego

@ 2019-11-22 16:30   ` Shérab
From: Shérab @ 2019-11-22 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Diego, many thanks for your prompt response!

Diego Zamboni (2019/11/22 16:55 +0100):
> Hi Shérab,
>
> I usually press Enter on the entry, which takes you to the file from where
> it came, and you can edit it there.

I tried and it worked, thanks! Does this leave the agenda view and you
then return to it as you enter it the fiirst time, e.g. C-c a a ?

Is there a way to return to the agenda view exactly where one was when
pressing enter?

Thanks to all,

@ 2019-11-22 17:07     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-11-22 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer@ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Hi Diego, many thanks for your prompt response!
>
> Diego Zamboni (2019/11/22 16:55 +0100):
>> Hi Shérab,
>>
>> I usually press Enter on the entry, which takes you to the file from where
>> it came, and you can edit it there.
>
> I tried and it worked, thanks! Does this leave the agenda view and you
> then return to it as you enter it the fiirst time, e.g. C-c a a ?
>
> Is there a way to return to the agenda view exactly where one was when
> pressing enter?

If you use <TAB> instead of <RET>, the underlying org file will be
popped up next to the agenda, instead of replacing it. When you're done
editing use `other-window' to get back to the agenda, then "o" to close
other windows.

Hope that helps,
Eric

* Re: Editting from the agenda view
@ 2019-11-22 17:12     ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2019-11-22 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer@ens-lyon.org> writes:
>> I usually press Enter on the entry, which takes you to the file from
>> where it came, and you can edit it there.
> I tried and it worked, thanks! Does this leave the agenda view and you
> then return to it as you enter it the fiirst time, e.g. C-c a a ?
No. It comes to the same state where you left. It is a buffer. It won't
change until you press 'g'.

> Is there a way to return to the agenda view exactly where one was when
> pressing enter?
This is what I mentioned above. This is the default behaviour.

Pankaj Jangid

* Re: Editting from the agenda view
       [not found] <mailman.38.1574442075.14739.emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
@ 2019-11-22 17:30 ` "Éibhear"
From: "Éibhear" @ 2019-11-22 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien.Hinderer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Have a look at the agenda columns view in the documentation. I find it
very useful for editing items in situ in the agenda.

Éibhear

--
Éibhear Ó hAnluain,
Dublin, Ireland

* Re: Editting from the agenda view
@ 2019-11-22 19:02       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2019-11-22 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

previous-buffer and next-buffer might be useful.  emacs has oddities
here, so idk if it will work for you.  i find that placing
(switch-to-buffer (current-buffer)), which you would think would be a
no-op, sometimes fixes those problems.

[there is also the emacs global mark ring, but htat has at least 2
problema s we have discussed on this ml; 1) does not go ack to correct
location and 2) uniquifies duplicate entries in addition tot he usual
issues like e.g. only a basck not a forward.]

--
The Kafka Pandemic

What is misopathy?
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it at any time.

* Re: Editting from the agenda view
@ 2019-11-23  8:14 ` Victor A. Stoichita
From: Victor A. Stoichita @ 2019-11-23  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le 22 Nov 2019, Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer@ens-lyon.org> a écrit :
> When I am in an agenda view, say the weekly view, how can I edit
> one of
> the listed entries? I may want to do that either because
> I notice I have
> made a typo that I would like to fix, or because I would like to
> re-schedule the entry for another date.

To reschedule an entry remotely from the agenda view, you can
press S-right (org-agenda-do-date-later) or S-left
(org-agenda-do-date-earlier).
C-c C-s (org-agenda-schedule) and C-c C-d (org-agenda-deadline)
also work without leaving the agenda view.

Regards,
Victor

* Re: Editting from the agenda view
@ 2019-11-24 11:52       ` Shérab
From: Shérab @ 2019-11-24 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Eric, many thanks for your help!

Eric Abrahamsen (2019/11/22 09:07 -0800):
> Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer@ens-lyon.org> writes:
>
> > Hi Diego, many thanks for your prompt response!
> >
> > Diego Zamboni (2019/11/22 16:55 +0100):
> >> Hi Shérab,
> >>
> >> I usually press Enter on the entry, which takes you to the file from where
> >> it came, and you can edit it there.
> >
> > I tried and it worked, thanks! Does this leave the agenda view and you
> > then return to it as you enter it the fiirst time, e.g. C-c a a ?
> >
> > Is there a way to return to the agenda view exactly where one was when
> > pressing enter?
>
> If you use <TAB> instead of <RET>, the underlying org file will be
> popped up next to the agenda, instead of replacing it.

Yes, that worked, thanks!

> When you're done
> editing use `other-window' to get back to the agenda, then "o" to close
> other windows.

To go back to the other window (the agenda view) I used C-x o and that
worked but the agenda view had not been updated and it didn't get
updated when I then pressed 'o' to close other windows. IS that the
expected behaviour? Somehow I'd like that the agenda view gets refreshed
automatically at some point, if that's possible?

Thanks again Eric, it does help!

@ 2019-11-24 12:01       ` Shérab
From: Shérab @ 2019-11-24 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Pankaj Jangid (2019/11/22 17:12 +0000):
> Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer@ens-lyon.org> writes:
> >> I usually press Enter on the entry, which takes you to the file from
> >> where it came, and you can edit it there.
> > I tried and it worked, thanks! Does this leave the agenda view and you
> > then return to it as you enter it the fiirst time, e.g. C-c a a ?
> No. It comes to the same state where you left. It is a buffer. It won't
> change until you press 'g'.

Okay, thanks.

@ 2019-11-24 12:03   ` Shérab
From: Shérab @ 2019-11-24 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

"Éibhear" (2019/11/22 17:30 -0000):

> Hi,
>
> Have a look at the agenda columns view in the documentation. I find it
> very useful for editing items in situ in the agenda.

Thanks. Will do, but usually columns are not very handy for me -- I'm
blind and using a braille terminal. In such a context linearity matters
quite a lot.

Best wishes,

Shérab.

* Re: Editting from the agenda view
@ 2019-11-26 14:21   ` Shérab
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Shérab @ 2019-11-26 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Victor,

Many thanks for your response and sorry for the delay of mine!

Victor A. Stoichita (2019/11/23 09:14 +0100):

> Le 22 Nov 2019, Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer@ens-lyon.org> a écrit :
> > When I am in an agenda view, say the weekly view, how can I edit one of
> > the listed entries? I may want to do that either because I notice I have
> > made a typo that I would like to fix, or because I would like to
> > re-schedule the entry for another date.
>
> To reschedule an entry remotely from the agenda view, you can press S-right
> (org-agenda-do-date-later) or S-left (org-agenda-do-date-earlier).

I indeed remember having seen these commands!
The thing is that I am using emacs in the Linux console where these
bindings do not work, so I couldn't try them. Is there a way to bind
them to different key bindings? I am asking becuase I assume the
bindings you mention are specific to the agenda view and the way to
modify them is thus different from ordinary, global bindings. Am I
correct?

> C-c C-s (org-agenda-schedule) and C-c C-d (org-agenda-deadline) also
> work without leaving the agenda view.

I shall thy these! Thanks!

@ 2019-11-26 19:19     ` Victor A. Stoichita
From: Victor A. Stoichita @ 2019-11-26 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Le 26 Nov 2019, Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer@ens-lyon.org> a écrit :

>> To reschedule an entry remotely from the agenda view, you can
>> press S-right
>> (org-agenda-do-date-later) or S-left
>> (org-agenda-do-date-earlier).
>
> I indeed remember having seen these commands!
> The thing is that I am using emacs in the Linux console where
> these
> bindings do not work, so I couldn't try them. Is there a way to
> bind
> them to different key bindings? I am asking becuase I assume the
> bindings you mention are specific to the agenda view and the way
> modify them is thus different from ordinary, global bindings.
> Am I
> correct?

Indeed they are not global bindings. I don’t know how to rebind
them for the agenda view.
Meanwhile, the same functions in the agenda view are also bound to
C-c C-x <right> and C-c C-x <left>. These should work in the
terminal, but I’m not sure how handy they are as "shortcuts".

Victor

* Re: Editting from the agenda view
@ 2019-11-27  2:55     ` Sebastian Miele
From: Sebastian Miele @ 2019-11-27  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Shérab,

Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer@ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Dear Victor,
>
> Many thanks for your response and sorry for the delay of mine!
>
> Victor A. Stoichita (2019/11/23 09:14 +0100):
>>
>> Le 22 Nov 2019, Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer@ens-lyon.org> a écrit :
>> > When I am in an agenda view, say the weekly view, how can I edit one of
>> > the listed entries? I may want to do that either because I notice I have
>> > made a typo that I would like to fix, or because I would like to
>> > re-schedule the entry for another date.
>>
>> To reschedule an entry remotely from the agenda view, you can press S-right
>> (org-agenda-do-date-later) or S-left (org-agenda-do-date-earlier).
>
> I indeed remember having seen these commands!
> The thing is that I am using emacs in the Linux console where these
> bindings do not work, so I couldn't try them. Is there a way to bind
> them to different key bindings? I am asking becuase I assume the
> bindings you mention are specific to the agenda view and the way to
> modify them is thus different from ordinary, global bindings. Am I
> correct?

After opening the agenda, inspection of the buffer-local variable
major-mode (e.g. by C-h v) reveals that the major mode in the agenda
buffer is org-agenda-mode. A search for a variable containing
"org-agenda", and "map" reveals that most probably org-agenda-mode-map
is the keymap used there. It follows the usual naming scheme for major
mode maps.

After (require 'org-agenda) it will be possible to (define-key
org-agenda-mode-map KEY BINDING) in an init file.

Best wishes
Sebastian

* Re: Editting from the agenda view
@ 2019-12-02  7:54       ` Shérab
From: Shérab @ 2019-12-02  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Victor, many thanks for your response!

Victor A. Stoichita (2019/11/26 20:19 +0100):
> Indeed they are not global bindings. I don’t know how to rebind them for the
> agenda view.
> Meanwhile, the same functions in the agenda view are also bound to C-c C-x
> <right> and C-c C-x <left>. These should work in the terminal, but I’m not
> sure how handy they are as "shortcuts".

Well at least I could try the commands, thanks a lot for that!

So in my understanding thiese reschedule the event for the previous/next
day and I assume that the prefix argument can be used to reschedule by a
different number of days.

@ 2019-12-02  7:58       ` Shérab
From: Shérab @ 2019-12-02  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Sebastian,

Many thanks for your helpful message.

Sebastian Miele (2019/11/27 02:55 +0000):
> After opening the agenda, inspection of the buffer-local variable
> major-mode (e.g. by C-h v) reveals that the major mode in the agenda
> buffer is org-agenda-mode. A search for a variable containing
> "org-agenda", and "map" reveals that most probably org-agenda-mode-map
> is the keymap used there. It follows the usual naming scheme for major
> mode maps.
>
> After (require 'org-agenda) it will be possible to (define-key
> org-agenda-mode-map KEY BINDING) in an init file.

Thank you so much for also having taken the time to explain how you
found it, that's very helpful!

@ 2019-12-02 21:19     ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2019-12-02 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer@ens-lyon.org> writes:

>> To reschedule an entry remotely from the agenda view, you can press S-right
>> (org-agenda-do-date-later) or S-left (org-agenda-do-date-earlier).
>
> I indeed remember having seen these commands!
> The thing is that I am using emacs in the Linux console where these
> bindings do not work, so I couldn't try them. Is there a way to bind
> them to different key bindings?

Check out 'TTY Keys' in the orgmode manual.

,---- [ (org) TTY keys ]
| 15.9 Using Org on a tty
| =======================
|
| Org provides alternative key bindings for TTY and modern mobile
| devices
| that cannot handle cursor keys and complex modifier key chords.  Some
| of
| these workarounds may be more cumbersome than necessary.  Users should
| look into customizing these further based on their usage needs.  For
| example, the normal ‘S-<cursor>’ for editing timestamp might be better
| with ‘C-c .’ chord. [...]
`----

Checking org-agenda-do-date-later, I see
,----
| org-agenda-do-date-later is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
| ‘../org-mode/lisp/org-agenda.el’.
|
| It is bound to <S-right>, C-c C-x <right>, <menu-bar> <Agenda>
| <Deadline/Schedule> <Change Time +1 hour>.
`----

So C-c C-x <right> should be a tty friendly alternative to <S-right>.

hth
mem

--
| SDF and SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System  |