Hi there, currently, we have to write the following to continue an ordered list from a value different from 1: 42. [@42] Answer 43. Question? The requirement to type redundant information with the @-syntax always struck me as odd. For my export backend org-re-reveal, I recently received a request to export lists without @-syntax to their “correct” start values [1]. Before working on my backend, I’d like to ask for feedback: Why was the @-syntax introduced? Of what non-obvious effects should I be aware? What do you think about the attached patch that allows to omit the @-syntax? Controlled by the new variable org-list-use-first-bullet-as-non-standard-counter, the code assigns a counter value to the first list item from its bullet string if the item 1. does not specify a counter itself, 2. has an alphanumeric bullet, and 3. does not have a default start value (1, a, A). I hacked this as postprocessing step on the list’s struct. Maybe an Org expert could suggest how to do this in one pass? Best wishes Jens P.S. I did not work on documentation yet as I’m not sure that this change is acceptable. [1] https://gitlab.com/oer/org-re-reveal/merge_requests/27