* Bug: org-tempo expansion comments out the following src block when org-src-tabs-natively is 't [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
@ 2019-12-18 13:07 Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2019-12-18 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Recipe:

1. emacs -Q
2. Execute the following lisp code:

(setq org-src-tab-acts-natively t)
(require 'org-tempo)
(push (cons "el" "src emacs-lisp") org-structure-template-alist)

3. Create the following org file:

<point>

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
#+end_src

4. Put the point before the code block

5.1. Type <s TAB

Observed behaviour:

#+begin_src

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
#+end_src

Expected behaviour:

#+begin_src

#+end_src

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
#+end_src

5.2. Type <el TAB

Observed behaviour:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp

#+end_src

  ,#+begin_src emacs-lisp
#+end_src

Expected behaviour:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp

#+end_src

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
#+end_src

Setting org-src-tab-acts-natively to nil makes org-mode behave normally.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2019-12-17
Package: Org mode version 9.3 (release_9.3 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)

* Re: Bug: org-tempo expansion comments out the following src block when org-src-tabs-natively is 't [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
  2019-12-18 13:07 Bug: org-tempo expansion comments out the following src block when org-src-tabs-natively is 't [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)] Ihor Radchenko
@ 2019-12-19  1:15 ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2019-12-19  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> On Dec 18, 2019, at 5:07 AM, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Recipe:
>
> 1. emacs -Q
> 2. Execute the following lisp code:
>
> (setq org-src-tab-acts-natively t)
> (require 'org-tempo)

I did not need to add this line to confirm the behavior:

> (push (cons "el" "src emacs-lisp") org-structure-template-alist)
>
> 3. Create the following org file:
>
> <point>
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> #+end_src
>
> 4. Put the point before the code block
>
> 5.1. Type <s TAB
>
> Observed behaviour:
>
> #+begin_src
>

> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> #+end_src

Right. The issue seems to be that `org-tempo-add-block' puts  `>' elements in its recipe for converting  `org-structure-template-alist' to `tempo-org-template-*' values.

Those are innocuous when `org-src-tab-acts-natively' is nil.

But when `org-src-tab-acts-natively' is `t', an attempt is made to indent within the src block, which I guess is where the trouble lies as an error occurs which prevents the remainder of the template from being inserted.

If you really need `<s', then this is a problem (and a bug).

You might use `C-c C-,' as long as you have no other templates defined.

HTH,

Chuck

@ 2019-12-19 14:16   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2019-12-19 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Berry, Charles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> I did not need to add this line to confirm the behavior:
>
>> (push (cons "el" "src emacs-lisp") org-structure-template-alist)

Note the 5.2 part of the recipe.
It is probably caused by the same reason, but the consequence is that
the following code block is being commented, sometimes out of the screen.
I accidentally commented several parts of my emacs configuration because
of this.

> If you really need `<s', then this is a problem (and a bug).
>
> You might use `C-c C-,' as long as you have no other templates
> defined.

I prefer to use `<el<TAB>' instead of `C-c C-, e l C-o' simply because
it takes one less key press and less modifier keys. And I do have other
templates.

> Right. The issue seems to be that `org-tempo-add-block' puts  `>'
> elements in its recipe for converting  `org-structure-template-alist'
> to `tempo-org-template-*' values.
>
> Those are innocuous when `org-src-tab-acts-natively' is nil.

The most straightforward solutions are deleting the `'>' elements from
the template or temporary setting the `org-src-tabs-acts-natively' to
nil.

Best,
Ihor

@ 2022-10-15  4:46 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-15  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Recipe:

For record, I can no longer reproduce the bug on the latest main.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,