From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: example paper written in org completely
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 09:02:41 +1000	[thread overview]

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

> It is a good package, but since it is inactive, org-mode could assimilate
> it so people can use it, rather than in the form of an external package.

I don't see any advantage in doing this. It is simple to include the
package. Furthermore, if we start to bundle it, we also take on more
responsibility for ensuring it works etc. Besides, where do we then
'draw the line' - there are lots of additional and useful Latex
packages, many of which are probably even more commonly used, such as
some of the packages which extend/enhance tables, code listings, etc.

> Defining the structure of an algorithm in a document is of value.
> Can one do something similar using current code or does the algorithmicx
> package have some more pleasant capabilities?

The algorithmicx package does add some useful functionality wrt
formatting algorithms, but only for Latex exports. Just
bundling the latex package with org will not change the existing
situation - it will still only be functionality available with latex
exports. All it *might* do is remove the requirement to install the
latex package and add it to your export headers.

Having similar functionality which is back end agnostic and based on
just org syntax would be useful for some users. However, this would
involve re-implementation of what the latex package does in elisp and
adding code to the export layer to interpret the new structures
appropriately. The big question is whether anyone has sufficient
interest and desire for this functionality to actually do the work.

My gut feeling is that the number of people who need this functionality
who are not satisfied witih the current situation is too small to reach
the level of critical mass that would see this requirement realised.

--
Tim Cross