* Re: Dates in headlines
@ 2022-08-16 17:45 Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2022-08-16 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: samologist, Org-mode

I found it again:

"If the headline contains a timestamp, it is removed from the link,
which results in a wrong link—you should avoid putting a timestamp in
the headline."

https://orgmode.org/manual/Handling-Links.html#FOOT28

> this iirc has been obsolete for many years and ime and on ml never was
> an issue.  i tried to find out why it was mentioned but did not find
> anything.  it might have been an ambiguity in the manual to do with
> active tses like in your example?  e.g. the agenda will remove the
> active ts at least in certain cases, but that is a deliberate feature.
>
> i successfully rely on inactive as below.  they are sorted by the ts.
> a capture template inserts them.
>
> much better than date trees for my case.  always show, sorted at
> bottom, no hierarchy, nothing out of sync, can scan and bisect to find
> an entry or get a sense of number, can change a ts and sort again,
> looks the same in the agenda, etc.
>

> ***** LOG [2021-07-01 Thu] vulcans mediating with klingons
> ***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] brawl.  scottie of course :(.
> ***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] hauled away AS garbage?
> ***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] klingons said garbage scow
>

> On 6/28/22, Ypo<ypuntot@gmail.com>  wrote:
> >/I think I've read somewhere that it is a "bad practice" to use dates in/
> >/headlines, is it correct? I haven't found it in the manual./
> >
> >/Like:/
> >
> >/**** <2022-06-29 mi. 10:30> Meeting/
> >
> >/Best regards/
> >
> *From*: 	Samuel Wales
> *Subject*: 	Re: Dates in headlines
> *Date*: 	Tue, 28 Jun 2022 16:23:02 -0700

* Re: Dates in headlines
@ 2022-08-19  5:58 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-08-19  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: samologist, Org-mode

Ypo <ypuntot@gmail.com> writes:

> I found it again:
>
> "If the headline contains a timestamp, it is removed from the link,
> which results in a wrong link—you should avoid putting a timestamp in
> the headline."
>
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Handling-Links.html#FOOT28

Unless I miss something, this footnote is plain wrong. The timestamps
are not removed. At least not when I run M-x org-store-link on a
headline with timestamp with emacs -Q.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,

* Numbered footnotes in the manual interfere with diff (was: Dates in headlines)
@ 2022-09-25  8:45   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-09-25  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo, Bastien; +Cc: samologist, Org-mode

>> https://orgmode.org/manual/Handling-Links.html#FOOT28
>
> Unless I miss something, this footnote is plain wrong. The timestamps
> are not removed. At least not when I run M-x org-store-link on a
> headline with timestamp with emacs -Q.

I think we should just remove this footnote.

Bastien,
Do you have any suggestion on how to deal with changing footnotes in the
manual? When I delete this footnote, all the footnotes must be
re-numbered creating a lot of garbage in the diff. Is it ok? Or should
we prefer inline footnote definitions in the manual to avoid such
situations?

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at https://orgmode.org/.
Support Org development at https://liberapay.com/org-mode,
or support my work at https://liberapay.com/yantar92

* Re: Numbered footnotes in the manual interfere with diff
@ 2022-09-25  8:49     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2022-09-25  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Ypo, samologist, Org-mode

> Do you have any suggestion on how to deal with changing footnotes in the
> manual? When I delete this footnote, all the footnotes must be
> re-numbered creating a lot of garbage in the diff. Is it ok? Or should
> we prefer inline footnote definitions in the manual to avoid such
> situations?

I propose to use inline footnotes for notes of one paragraph and to
use regular footnotes for notes spanning over more than one paragraph.
This will enhance both diffs readability and that of the manual's .org
source.

WDYT?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Numbered footnotes in the manual interfere with diff
@ 2022-10-03  8:18       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-03  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Ypo, samologist, Org-mode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Do you have any suggestion on how to deal with changing footnotes in the
>> manual? When I delete this footnote, all the footnotes must be
>> re-numbered creating a lot of garbage in the diff. Is it ok? Or should
>> we prefer inline footnote definitions in the manual to avoid such
>> situations?
>
> I propose to use inline footnotes for notes of one paragraph and to
> use regular footnotes for notes spanning over more than one paragraph.
> This will enhance both diffs readability and that of the manual's .org
> source.
>
> WDYT?

All the footnotes only span a single paragraph.
However, multiple footnotes span several sentences and thus look
cumbersome when inlined.

Should we just inline the one-sentence footnotes?

Also, there is one footnote that is indexed (does it even work?):

#+findex: org-date
#+findex: org-anniversary
#+findex: org-cyclic
#+findex: org-block

[fn:60] When working with the standard diary expression functions, you

I am not attaching the patch. Instead, you can run M-:
(yant/replace-all-footnotes) inside doc/org-manual.org

(defun yant/replace-footnote-with-def (fn)
  "Replace FN footnote-reference with inline footnote.
Move point to the end of the FN."
  (goto-char (org-element-property :end fn))
  (when (and (org-element-property :label fn)
	     (eq (org-element-type fn) 'footnote-reference))
    (let ((definition
	    (save-excursion
	      (org-footnote-goto-definition (org-element-property :label fn))
	      (let ((def (org-element-context)))
		(org-wrap
		 (org-trim
		  (buffer-substring-no-properties
		   (org-element-property :contents-begin def)
		   (org-element-property :contents-end def)))
                 nil 1)))))
      (when definition
	(replace-region-contents
         (org-element-property :begin fn)
         (org-element-property :end fn)
         (lambda () (format "[fn:: %s]%s" definition (make-string (or (org-element-property :post-blank fn) 0) ?\s))))
        (org-fill-paragraph)))))

(defun yant/replace-all-footnotes ()
  "Replace all footnotes in buffer with their definition."
  (org-with-wide-buffer
   (goto-char (point-min))
   (while (re-search-forward org-footnote-re nil t)
     (backward-char)
     (let ((fn (org-element-context)))

@ 2022-10-03  8:54         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2022-10-03  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Ypo, samologist, Org-mode

Hi Ihor,

> Should we just inline the one-sentence footnotes?

Yes, this would be a progress already.

> Also, there is one footnote that is indexed (does it even work?):

AFACT it does not work and I think it should not work, we can remove
these index entries.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Numbered footnotes in the manual interfere with diff
@ 2022-10-04  2:21           ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-04  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Ypo, samologist, Org-mode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Ihor,
>
> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Should we just inline the one-sentence footnotes?
>
> Yes, this would be a progress already.

Done.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=0641ece57b9d980b63e3a3bb6dc4d467eff3051b

I also documented this in doc/Documentation_Standards.org

>> Also, there is one footnote that is indexed (does it even work?):
>
> AFACT it does not work and I think it should not work, we can remove
> these index entries.

Instead of removing, I moved the entries to the footnote reference.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=180966c645547bf8e0f78ea28d63a686a286d2b2

--

@ 2022-10-04  8:31             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2022-10-04  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Ypo, samologist, Org-mode

> Done.
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=0641ece57b9d980b63e3a3bb6dc4d467eff3051b
>
> I also documented this in doc/Documentation_Standards.org

Great, thank you.

>>> Also, there is one footnote that is indexed (does it even work?):
>>
>> AFACT it does not work and I think it should not work, we can remove
>> these index entries.
>
> Instead of removing, I moved the entries to the footnote reference.
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=180966c645547bf8e0f78ea28d63a686a286d2b2

Even better, thanks.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Numbered footnotes in the manual interfere with diff (was: Dates in headlines)
@ 2022-10-05  9:54     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-05  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: Bastien, samologist, Org-mode

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> https://orgmode.org/manual/Handling-Links.html#FOOT28
>>
>> Unless I miss something, this footnote is plain wrong. The timestamps
>> are not removed. At least not when I run M-x org-store-link on a
>> headline with timestamp with emacs -Q.
>
> I think we should just remove this footnote.

Done on main.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=5adde9f3fed4e0d1003860002f21c827276f1d19