Ihor Radchenko writes: >> I think, verbatim option should not be removed from `defcustom' :type >> just now. For some users it might cause fallback to raw lisp value in >> easy customization UI. Perhaps another warning should be added to the >> `org-set-emphasis-alist' validator and the option should be labeled as >> unused in the :type definition. > > Makes sense. > What about the attached patch? > The idea is to tag the constant as deprecated. I further improved the patch adding variable watcher. This should catch everything. See the attached. Let me know if there are any objections.