Stefan Monnier writes: >> After trying several more approaches, > > [ Side note: did you keep notes about the various approaches you tried > and their respective downsides? E.g. I'm curious what were the > problems linked to my proposal of using a `require-with-check` like > the one below my sig. ] My attempt to use shadowcheck idea you proposed failed with some very strange errors and I gave up. See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=62762#311 Although, part of the problem was https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=65286 which does not seem to be reproducible by others. >> I now came up with yet another idea. Instead of fiddling with load >> internals, compilation, or load-path, what about making sure that Org >> libraries include version info directly? > > That should work. It implies a fair bit more churn in the code, tho, > but I guess you plan to automate it via some scripts? Yeah. It will require search-and-replace across Org between releases. But, at least, it is the most reliable way I can see without falling into subtle details of Emacs load system. I did some automation in a form of =make test= barking when `provide' do not match Org version: