* org-mode PDAs
@ 2007-09-17 10:23 Cezar
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Cezar @ 2007-09-17 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

  I would like to know if there are any PDA or Smartphone devices to use
  with org-mode, and be able to sync between them with ease.

Thanks,
Cezar

* Re: org-mode PDAs
@ 2007-09-17 12:49 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2007-09-17 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>   I would like to know if there are any PDA or Smartphone devices to use
>   with org-mode, and be able to sync between them with ease.

Since the files are plain text anything that is capable of syncing plain
text files should work. Although you can edit/display the files on your
pda, I think that hardly any pda's can run emacs, so you lose a lot of
the functionality of being able to use org mode.

For simply referring to data in your files I find that exporting my org
files to html, copying to my phone, then viewing them on my smartphone's
browser works well.

Ian.

* Re: org-mode PDAs
@ 2007-09-17 12:50 ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-09-17 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 01:23:35PM +0300, Cezar wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I would like to know if there are any PDA or Smartphone devices to use
>   with org-mode, and be able to sync between them with ease.

This would be of major interest. Is it besser to wait for the official
release of the OpenMoko? I have heard that one can install a complete
Emacs on this.

Bye,

Sven

* Re: org-mode PDAs
@ 2007-09-17 12:54 ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-09-17 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:

>   I would like to know if there are any PDA or Smartphone devices to
>   use with org-mode, and be able to sync between them with ease.

Not entirely serious:  has anyone ported emacs to the N800 or OpenMoko
yet?

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: org-mode PDAs
@ 2007-09-17 13:19   ` Leo
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Leo @ 2007-09-17 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-09-17 13:50 +0100, Sven Bretfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 01:23:35PM +0300, Cezar wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>   I would like to know if there are any PDA or Smartphone devices to use
>>   with org-mode, and be able to sync between them with ease.
>
> This would be of major interest. Is it besser to wait for the official
> release of the OpenMoko? I have heard that one can install a complete
> Emacs on this.
>
> Bye,
>
> Sven

Can someone help me understand the advantage of running Emacs in pda?
Emacs is an keyboard driven application and pda sucks at keyboard
input. How would these two things match?

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

                                                 I use GNU Emacs  <=
                              http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/  <=

* Re: org-mode PDAs
@ 2007-09-17 14:12     ` Cezar
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Cezar @ 2007-09-17 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Can someone help me understand the advantage of running Emacs in pda?
> Emacs is an keyboard driven application and pda sucks at keyboard
> input. How would these two things match?

The new smartphones have a qwerty keyboard (see blackbery, and palm
treo). I don't know how fast you can be, but it's about bringing our
favorite working enviroment to our pocket since most of us have
everything inside emacs (mail, org, text editor, etc).

At least thats what I feel the need for, an emacs to go :P

Cheers,
Cezar

* Re: org-mode PDAs
@ 2007-09-17 14:55       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-17 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-09-17 15:12 +0100, Cezar wrote:
> The new smartphones have a qwerty keyboard (see blackbery, and palm
> treo). I don't know how fast you can be, but it's about bringing our
> favorite working enviroment to our pocket since most of us have
> everything inside emacs (mail, org, text editor, etc).

That sounds appealing. But how would you type C-x? Hold down right ctrl
and type 'x'. That is not the same as in normal pc. I wonder if this
will spoil your muscle memory.

Probably making ctrl sticky could be more intuitive.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

                                                 I use GNU Emacs  <=
                              http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/  <=

* Re: Re: org-mode PDAs
@ 2007-09-17 15:09     ` Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-09-17 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 9/17/07, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone help me understand the advantage of running Emacs in pda?
> Emacs is an keyboard driven application and pda sucks at keyboard
> input. How would these two things match?

I don't think that most people would choose to run Emacs on a PDA (phone) if
they had a desktop/laptop available. The scenario where Emacs on a phone
seems attractive is when your only options are Emacs on your phone or
writing on your hand.

As someone who's used Emacs on a HTC Mogul though[1], I completely agree
with your point. Generally PDAs/phones don't make very good Emacs devices,
not so much because typing on their keyboards is slow, but because almost
all physical phone keyboards (excluding external keyboards) lack Control and
Meta keys. As you can imagine, Emacs without Control or Meta is not very
useful or fun.

Cheers,
Scott

Footnotes:
[1] I used SSH, which had the added benefit that I didn't have to worry
about syncing my org-mode files.

* Re: Re: org-mode PDAs
@ 2007-09-18  1:00     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-09-18  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

   Can someone help me understand the advantage of running Emacs in pda?
   Emacs is an keyboard driven application and pda sucks at keyboard
   input. How would these two things match?

I must say I agree with you. I think even more that PDA just suck !

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: org-mode PDAs
@ 2007-09-18 20:49   ` Daniel M German
From: Daniel M German @ 2007-09-18 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

 Jason> Cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:
 >> I would like to know if there are any PDA or Smartphone devices to
 >> use with org-mode, and be able to sync between them with ease.

 Jason> Not entirely serious:  has anyone ported emacs to the N800 or OpenMoko
 Jason> yet?

I have a N800 and I haven't found a port yet, so I would need to try
to build it myself. My goal is to get emacs-nox running on the N800,
and then run it from an Xterm. Unfortunately the lack of a keyboard
will make it difficult to use.

On the other hand I can already use rsync or SVN to synchronize the
files with n800. So for people who are willing to work with a regular
text editor this is not a too-bad-approach.

--dmg

 Jason> --
 Jason> +-----------------------------------------------------------+
 Jason> | Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
 Jason> | If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
 Jason> | battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
 Jason> | is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

 Jason> _______________________________________________
 Jason> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
 Jason> Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
 Jason> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .

* Re: Re: org-mode PDAs
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-09-18 20:50     ` Daniel M German
From: Daniel M German @ 2007-09-18 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

 Leo> On 2007-09-17 13:50 +0100, Sven Bretfeld wrote:
 >> Hi,
 >>
 >> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 01:23:35PM +0300, Cezar wrote:
 >>>
 >>> Hello,
 >>>
 >>> I would like to know if there are any PDA or Smartphone devices to use
 >>> with org-mode, and be able to sync between them with ease.
 >>
 >> This would be of major interest. Is it besser to wait for the official
 >> release of the OpenMoko? I have heard that one can install a complete
 >> Emacs on this.
 >>
 >> Bye,
 >>
 >> Sven

 Leo> Can someone help me understand the advantage of running Emacs in pda?
 Leo> Emacs is an keyboard driven application and pda sucks at keyboard
 Leo> input. How would these two things match?

My Nokia N800 replaces my laptop in several trips. I have a bluetooth
keyboard for it. Using with a stylus would be difficult, but not
impossible. It is a matter of how hard I want it. And I want org on my
n800 ;)

dmg

@ 2007-09-19  7:51     ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2007-09-19  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 18/09/2007, Daniel M German <dmg@uvic.ca> wrote:

>  Jason> Cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:
>  >> I would like to know if there are any PDA or Smartphone devices to
>  >> use with org-mode, and be able to sync between them with ease.
>
>  Jason> Not entirely serious:  has anyone ported emacs to the N800 or OpenMoko
>  Jason> yet?
>
> I have a N800 and I haven't found a port yet, so I would need to try
> to build it myself. My goal is to get emacs-nox running on the N800,
> and then run it from an Xterm. Unfortunately the lack of a keyboard
> will make it difficult to use.
>
> On the other hand I can already use rsync or SVN to synchronize the
> files with n800. So for people who are willing to work with a regular
> text editor this is not a too-bad-approach.
>
> --dmg

I have an N800 too, but to be honest, even with a BT keyboard, emacsen
would be pushing it. At the moment, for me at least, PDA's, phones etc
are good for reading and reviewing of tasks/actions or whatever and as
an 'inbox' for text/voice remember notes. At least if you want to use
org-mode as your canonical repository of tasks.

To get a PDA to interact/sync properly with Org mode, you'd need
native tools that understand org mode files and could update the PDA's
native TODO/Calandar/Contact/whatever information via its own API's.

In the book Getting Things Done, David Allen says that it is not the
tool you use, as much as it is how easy it is for you to be able to
use it to GTD. PDA's, even running emacs, would are too cumbersome to
be effective at Org GTDing without *org specific* tools IMHO.

Tim.