* Indentation of text below headlines
@ 2009-07-22  2:48 onguarde -
From: onguarde - @ 2009-07-22  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Peace all!

I'm trying to make text below headlines indented as per the example quoted
below.

http://orgmode.org/manual/Clean-view.html#fnd-1
*
Indentation of text below headlines*
You may indent text below each headline to make the left boundary line up
with the headline, like

          *** 3rd level
              more text, now indented

A good way to get this indentation is by hand, and Org supports this with
paragraph filling, line wrapping, and structure
editing1<http://orgmode.org/manual/Clean-view.html#fn-1>preserving or
adapting the indentation as appropriate. A different approach
would be to have a way to automatically indent lines according to outline
structure by adding overlays or text properties. But I have not yet found a
robust and efficient way to do this in large files

[1 <http://orgmode.org/manual/Clean-view.html#fnd-1>] See also the variable
org-adapt-indentation.

http://osdir.com/ml/emacs-orgmode-gnu/2009-06/msg00132.html

If the variable `org-adapt-indentation' is non-nil, the entire text is
also indented so that it starts in the same column as the headline
\(i.e. after the stars).

.emacs config file
;(setf org-adapt-indentation nil)
(setf org-adapt-indentation t)

I tried setting it up it .emacs like so but it doesn't seem to work no
matter which I comment.

Am I missing something??

* Re: Indentation of text below headlines
@ 2009-07-22  8:01 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-22  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: onguarde -; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

,----[ org-adapt-indentation ]
| Non-nil means, adapt indentation when promoting and demoting.
| When this is set and the *entire* text in an entry is indented, the
| indentation is increased by one space in a demotion command, and
| decreased by one in a promotion command.  If any line in the entry
| body starts at column 0, indentation is not changed at all.
|
| This variable also influences how property drawers and planning
| information is inserted.  When t, these lines drawers will be inserted
| indented.  When nil, they will not be indented.
`----

The important sentence here is "If any line in the entry body starts at
column 0, indentation is not changed at all."

Maybe you have such a line in the subtree you try to indent?

--
 Bastien