* Convert iCalendar files to org files
@ 2010-12-30 13:21 Michael Markert
From: Michael Markert @ 2010-12-30 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

i created `ical2org'[1] to convert iCalendar files to org files in elisp.

It does:
* Traverse the iCalendar using `icalendar.el' and constructs a struct
  for each event
* Format each struct via a (userdefined) formatstring
* Convert times to orgmode timestrings (limitations below)

It does not (at the moment):
* Fully translate VEVENTs to org mode entries and only captures a few
  (sensible) attributes
* Convert iCalendar recurrences to org recurrences[2]
* Use "Duration" to determine endtime
* (I'm quite sure there's more, it's very young)

I'm aware of Doug Hellmann's `ical2org', but for the functionality it
didn't fulfill my needs and for the name, well I didn't come to a better
one yet, suggestions are welcome.

The same holds for the code, patches or ideas to fix the shortcomings
are highly appreciated.

Michael

Footnotes:
[1] https://github.com/cofi/ical2org
[2] And I'm quite sure it can't be done because orgmode has no concept
of a recurrence end like iCalendar does.

* Re: Convert iCalendar files to org files
@ 2010-12-30 14:04 ` MidLifeXis at PerlMonks
From: MidLifeXis at PerlMonks @ 2010-12-30 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Markert; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> * Convert iCalendar recurrences to org recurrences[2]

>[2] And I'm quite sure it can't be done because orgmode has no concept
> of a recurrence end like iCalendar does.

Just as a possibility, what about using the diary syntax for dates in this
case?  I have successfully done repeating tasks from $STARTDATE to $ENDDATE
using something like:

%%(and (diary-block ...) (diary-cyclic ...))

I believe that this format for dates can now be placed into a standard org-mode
date delimiter as well.

Brian

@ 2010-12-31 17:43   ` Michael Markert
From: Michael Markert @ 2010-12-31 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MidLifeXis at PerlMonks; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 30 Dec 2010, MidLifeXis at PerlMonks wrote:

> Just as a possibility, what about using the diary syntax for dates in this
> case?  I have successfully done repeating tasks from $STARTDATE to $ENDDATE
> using something like:
>
> %%(and (diary-block ...) (diary-cyclic ...))

Hi Brian,

thank you I totally forgot the diary syntax. I'm using it now (through
icalendar.el's facilities).

> I believe that this format for dates can now be placed into a standard
> org-mode date delimiter as well.
>
> Brian

I nearly overlooked that gem. Now I don't have to bother with that nasty
corner case, thank you.

I just released version 0.2.1, now with support for recurrences. Support
for "duration" is coming in the future (0.3).

Michael

* Re: Convert iCalendar files to org files
@ 2011-01-06 19:13 ` Michael Markert
From: Michael Markert @ 2011-01-06 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

> i created `ical2org'[1] to convert iCalendar files to org files in
> elisp.

I just bumped to version 0.3.1.

Now it also uses the duration of an entry and i added a frontend
function to import the iCalendar into an agenda file.

I also fixed a nasty bug of 0.2: It ignored the time of entries.

Is there something of use missing? Are there more sensible defaults?

Michael