* Org-beamer problems
@ 2011-01-19  7:03 Bill Moran
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bill Moran @ 2011-01-19  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been trying to follow the various tutorials on the web
to do beamer in org-mode. I've used beamer, latex and emacs
for many years but am finding that none of the examples on
the web work totally s intended in my attempts to use
org-mode with beamer.

I have copied verbatim several examples such as from here:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.html#sec-4_1

When I run  them I get the following problems - plus others
I will go into later if necessary:

1. The title page does not have a title - just the date.
When I check the latex file created from the org file I
notice that a \maketitle command occurs outside a frame environment
- whereas in beamer I normally use \titlepage inside a frame
environment to create the titlepage.

2. \alert command does not work - even with the additions to .emacs
suggested here:
 http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg21507.html
(And there are no errors in running the .emacs file)
Always the @ symbol appears in the latex created from org as @.

I wonder whether there is some configuration I am missing.
Other aspects of the slides are normal - bullets and
frametitles specifically.

* Re: Org-beamer problems
@ 2011-01-19 15:55 ` Jeff Horn
       [not found] ` <AANLkTi=7TkcFBVGc90SkTBHFjKx5j7PgHbia=ZkNRxYS@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-01-19 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Moran; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

What version of org-mode are your running? What version of emacs? If
you haven't done so already, try upgrading to the latest version of
org and seeing if that solves the problem.

=M-x org-version RET=
=M-x emacs-version RET=

See the latest development version of org:

    http://orgmode.org/index.html#sec-3_2

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 2:03 AM, Bill Moran <bill1moran@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to follow the various tutorials on the web
> to do beamer in org-mode. I've used beamer, latex and emacs
> for many years but am finding that none of the examples on
> the web work totally s intended in my attempts to use
> org-mode with beamer.
>
> I have copied verbatim several examples such as from here:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.html#sec-4_1
>
> When I run  them I get the following problems - plus others
> I will go into later if necessary:
>
> 1. The title page does not have a title - just the date.
> When I check the latex file created from the org file I
> notice that a \maketitle command occurs outside a frame environment
> - whereas in beamer I normally use \titlepage inside a frame
> environment to create the titlepage.
>
> 2. \alert command does not work - even with the additions to .emacs
> suggested here:
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg21507.html
> (And there are no errors in running the .emacs file)
> Always the @ symbol appears in the latex created from org as @.
>
> I wonder whether there is some configuration I am missing.
> Other aspects of the slides are normal - bullets and
> frametitles specifically.

Jeffrey Horn
http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: Org-beamer problems
       [not found] ` <AANLkTi=7TkcFBVGc90SkTBHFjKx5j7PgHbia=ZkNRxYS@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-01-19 15:58   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-01-19 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Moran, emacs-orgmode

Whoops -- skipped the list...

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:56 AM, John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:03 AM, Bill Moran <bill1moran@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  1. The title page does not have a title - just the date.
>> When I check the latex file created from the org file I
>> notice that a \maketitle command occurs outside a frame environment
>> - whereas in beamer I normally use \titlepage inside a frame
>> environment to create the titlepage.
>>

> That's interesting. You have a line like this?
>
> #+TITLE: title_of_doc
>
> Even if you don't, my compilations have always yielded a default title of
> the file name, I believe.
>

>> 2. \alert command does not work - even with the additions to .emacs
>> suggested here:
>>  http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg21507.html
>> (And there are no errors in running the .emacs file)
>> Always the @ symbol appears in the latex created from org as @.
>>

> This type of alert markup, indeed, does not work. This has been asked
> before (by me!). See this string:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg28842.html.
>

>> I wonder whether there is some configuration I am missing.
>> Other aspects of the slides are normal - bullets and
>> frametitles specifically.
>>

> Would you attach your actual org file? This often helps better than
> describing. For example, you mention extracting verbatim examples, but
> without seeing the file or pasting it, I'm not sure what your header
> arguments look like, and this can affect things quite a bit.
>

> Best regards,
> John

* Re: Org-beamer problems
       [not found] ` <AANLkTi=7TkcFBVGc90SkTBHFjKx5j7PgHbia=ZkNRxYS@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-01-19 16:36 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-19 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Moran; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bill Moran <bill1moran@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been trying to follow the various tutorials on the web
> to do beamer in org-mode. I've used beamer, latex and emacs
> for many years but am finding that none of the examples on
> the web work totally s intended in my attempts to use
> org-mode with beamer.
>
> I have copied verbatim several examples such as from here:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-beamer/tutorial.html#sec-4_1
>
> When I run  them I get the following problems - plus others
> I will go into later if necessary:
>
> 1. The title page does not have a title - just the date.
> When I check the latex file created from the org file I
> notice that a \maketitle command occurs outside a frame environment
> - whereas in beamer I normally use \titlepage inside a frame
> environment to create the titlepage.

My immediate response would be to ask why you aren't using \maketitle
given that the command is beamer-aware?  That is, \maketitle will create
a title page whose format is defined by the beamer theme you have
selected.  Otherwise, you could always customise
=org-export-latex-title-command= to nothing and use direct latex code to
do what you want:

#+begin_latex
\begin{frame} \titlepage \end{frame}
#+end_latex

I've not tried this.

> 2. \alert command does not work - even with the additions to .emacs
> suggested here:
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg21507.html
> (And there are no errors in running the .emacs file)
> Always the @ symbol appears in the latex created from org as @.

Can you tell us exactly what you have done to customise the relevant
variables and where you have done these customisations?  Difficult to
help without this information unfortunately.  While we're at it, org and
emacs version information is also helpful.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.221.g4007c)

* Re: Org-beamer problems
@ 2011-01-19 21:34   ` Bill Moran
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Bill Moran @ 2011-01-19 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

HI Eric, John, Jeff and Birch

Eric S Fraga <e.fraga <at> ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> My immediate response would be to ask why you aren't using \maketitle
> given that the command is beamer-aware?  That is, \maketitle will create
> a title page whose format is defined by the beamer theme you have
> selected.  Otherwise, you could always customise
> =org-export-latex-title-command= to nothing and use direct latex code to
> do what you want:

> #+begin_latex
> \begin{frame} \titlepage \end{frame}
> #+end_latex
>
> I've not tried this.
>
> > 2. \alert command does not work - even with the additions to .emacs
> > suggested here:
> >  http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode <at> gnu.org/msg21507.html
> > (And there are no errors in running the .emacs file)
> > Always the @ symbol appears in the latex created from org as @.
>
> Can you tell us exactly what you have done to customise the relevant
> variables and where you have done these customisations?  Difficult to
> help without this information unfortunately.  While we're at it, org and
> emacs version information is also helpful.

Thanks for all of your responses and for taking the time to help me. I'll try to
answer your questions. As far as possible I  use the "stock" ubuntu (maverick -
10.10) repositories for emacs and its associated software. So I'm using emacs
23.1.1 and org-mode 6.36c. The version of beamer I'm using, as described in the
repositories, is latex-beamer 3.07-2ubuntu1. I am aware  that there are more
recent versions available  - particularly of org-mode - but was trying to keep
things simple.

Let me also say that my aim was to arrive at an understanding of  how to use
org-mode for slide creation - since I do a lot of that - rather than to compose
a specific set of slides. I realise that I could use direct latex code to solve
the problems but that wasn't the point of the exercise.

I've read more since I sent the email and now realise that the issues I brought
up have been discussed earlier and where I can I've tried to use the proposed
solutions. In particular I have this in my .emacs:

(setq org-emphasis-alist (quote (("*" bold "<b>" "</b>")
      				 ("/" italic "<i>" "</i>")
      				 ("_" underline "<span style=\"text-decoration:underline;\">" "</span>")
      				 ("=" org-code "<code>" "</code>" verbatim)
      				 ("~" org-verbatim "<code>" "</code>" verbatim)
      				 ("+" (:strike-through t) "<del>" "</del>")
      				 ("@" org-warning "<b>" "</b>")))
      org-export-latex-emphasis-alist (quote
      				       (("*" "\\textbf{%s}" nil)
      					("/" "\\emph{%s}" nil)
      					("_" "\\underline{%s}" nil)
      					("+" "\\texttt{%s}" nil)
      					("=" "\\verb=%s=" nil)
      					("~" "\\verb~%s~" t)
      					("@" "\\alert{%s}" nil)))
      )

from a solution to the @ problem proposed by Eric somewhere. And I understand
that I can use \maketitle normally to produce a title page in beamer - just
tried on a hand-crafted (in emacs)  latex-beamer file using my set up.

To keep this email as brief as possible, let's take this snippet (verbatim) of
an  example from Eric:

From: Chris Malone @ 2011-01-19 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Moran; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bill,

I would try upgrading to a newer version of =org-mode= - a lot of things
have been improved since the writing of the version you have.  By default,
in the newer versions, the \maketitle command should be added to the
beginning of your .tex file automatically.  Upgrade and see if this fixes
things.

Chris

* Re: Re: Org-beamer problems
@ 2011-01-19 22:20     ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-01-19 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Moran; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I have tried the snippet on my end. I cannot reproduce this bug.

Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.165.gca0e6)
GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54)
of 2011-01-14 on braeburn.aquamacs.org - Aquamacs Distribution 3.xdev

I highly recommend upgrading org-mode. It is perhaps the cheapest
solution, if it indeed fixes the problem.

--

@ 2011-01-19 22:22   ` Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2011-01-19 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Greetings!

I am also having difficulties running Beamer from org-mode.   I am
running a fully updated Ubuntu with snapshot emacs and a daily updated
git version of org-mode.

I am not able to get blocks, lists, and colums to work.  I have a
feeling from Googling quite a bit that the problem is due to some
interaction between my org-mode header and .emacs.

Unfortunately, the org-mode manual does not state how to configure
.emacs for Beamer export.  There must be something going on with the
levels of headers and the B_Block directive.

Basically, I can not get the example to work.

Here is the relevant part of my .emacs

(setq org-export-latex-classes
      '(("article" "\\documentclass[11pt]{article}"
         ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
	 ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
	 ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")
	 ("\\paragraph{%s}" . "\\paragraph*{%s}")
	 ("\\subparagraph{%s}" . "\\subparagraph*{%s}"))

	("beamer" "\\documentclass[bigger]{beamer}
                   \\usepackage{verbatim}
                   \\definecolor{verylightgray}{rgb}{0.93,0.93,1.0}
                   \\mode<beamer>{\\usetheme{Madrid}}
                   \\mode<handout>{\\usecolortheme[rgb={0.5,0.5,0.5}]{structure}
                   \\usepackage{pgfpages}}
                   \\usepackage[absolute,overlay]{textpos}
                   \\setlength{\\TPHorizModule}{1mm}
                   \\setlength{\\TPVertModule}{1mm}"
         ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
         ("\\begin{frame}[fragile]\\frametitle{%s}" "\\end{frame}"
          "\\begin{frame}[fragile]\\frametitle{%s}" "\\end{frame}"))

The header is the same as from the example.

Thanks,
Henri-Paul

Henri-Paul Indiogine
Email: hindiogine@gmail.com
Running: Ubuntu Linux 10.10, Emacs 24.0.50.1, org-mode 7.3

* Re: Org-beamer problems
@ 2011-01-19 22:33     ` Chris Malone
From: Chris Malone @ 2011-01-19 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hindiogine; +Cc: emacs-org

Hi Henri-Paul,

I'm running =org-version= 7.3 (release_7.3.89.g97f4c.dirty)

I don't have anything in my .emacs about the beamer latex class - it just
works.  The only =org-export-latex-classes= statements that I have are with
some latex classes that I have made myself.

What does your .tex output look like?

Chris

@ 2011-01-19 22:43       ` Bill Moran
From: Bill Moran @ 2011-01-19 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Chris, Jeff

Chris Malone <chris.m.malone <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Bill,I would try upgrading to a newer version of =org-mode= - a lot of
things have been improved since the writing of the version you have.  By
default, in the newer versions, the \maketitle command should be added to the
beginning of your .tex file automatically.  Upgrade and see if this fixes
things.Chris

Upgraded to the latest .deb version of org-mode - 7.4 - and that solved the
title problem - but not the @ problem.

Thanks

Bill

* Re: Re: Org-beamer problems
@ 2011-01-19 22:48         ` Chris Malone
From: Chris Malone @ 2011-01-19 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Moran; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bill,

I too have never found a good solution for the @ problem, but as Eric
mentioned there has been some talk about his problem recently in the message
list.

Glad to hear updating fixed the other issues.

Chris

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Bill Moran <bill1moran@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris, Jeff
>
> Chris Malone <chris.m.malone <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > Hi Bill,I would try upgrading to a newer version of =org-mode= - a lot of
> things have been improved since the writing of the version you have.  By
> default, in the newer versions, the \maketitle command should be added to
> the
> beginning of your .tex file automatically.  Upgrade and see if this fixes
> things.Chris
>

> Upgraded to the latest .deb version of org-mode - 7.4 - and that solved the
> title problem - but not the @ problem.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bill

* Re: Re: Org-beamer problems
@ 2011-01-20  8:52     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-20  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Moran; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bill Moran <bill1moran@gmail.com> writes:

> HI Eric, John, Jeff and Birch
>

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga <at> ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>

>> My immediate response would be to ask why you aren't using \maketitle
>> given that the command is beamer-aware?  That is, \maketitle will create

[...]

> Let me also say that my aim was to arrive at an understanding of  how to use
> org-mode for slide creation - since I do a lot of that - rather than to compose
> a specific set of slides. I realise that I could use direct latex code to solve
> the problems but that wasn't the point of the exercise.

Yes, sorry, I didn't write my response very well at all.  I wasn't
implying that beamer could not do what you wanted, only that you could
resort to latex if you definitely wanted to have a very specific
solution.  My point was that beamer generates \maketitle and that this
works just fine (for me) in beamer so that there is no need to use the
latex construct I wrote which is what you implied you were using in
latex directly.

[...]

> To keep this email as brief as possible, let's take this snippet (verbatim) of
> an  example from Eric:

[...]

> When I do "C-c C-e p" to create the pdf file I get 3 slides. The first is a
> title page but has no title - only the date. The second is an outline (toc)
> slide as expected and the third is again as expected except that @important@ is
> not rendered as \alert{important}.

but this all works for me.  As others have said, upgrade your org
version (which *is* rather old unfortunately).
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.223.g71650)

* Re: Re: Org-beamer problems
@ 2011-01-20  8:54         ` Eric S Fraga
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-20  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Moran; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bill Moran <bill1moran@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Upgraded to the latest .deb version of org-mode - 7.4 - and that solved the
> title problem - but not the @ problem.

Excellent re: title problem!

Regarding the @ problem, where and how do you make the settings.  As I
have said on this list recently, I find that I have to set the variables
concerned *before* I load org (through =(require 'org-install)=) or
otherwise the regular expressions that use these variables are
initialised incorrectly (I believe this is the root cause of the
problem).

--

@ 2011-01-20  8:57     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-20  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hindiogine; +Cc: emacs-org

Henri-Paul Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> writes:

> Greetings!
>
> I am also having difficulties running Beamer from org-mode.   I am
> running a fully updated Ubuntu with snapshot emacs and a daily updated
> git version of org-mode.
>
> I am not able to get blocks, lists, and colums to work.  I have a
> feeling from Googling quite a bit that the problem is due to some
> interaction between my org-mode header and .emacs.
>
> Unfortunately, the org-mode manual does not state how to configure
> .emacs for Beamer export.  There must be something going on with the
> levels of headers and the B_Block directive.

You do not need to configure anything for beamer support with recent
(since 7.0 but even earlier) versions of org.

> Here is the relevant part of my .emacs

> (setq org-export-latex-classes

[...]

> 	("beamer" "\\documentclass[bigger]{beamer}

This is not needed and will in fact cause problems.  The tutorial
example on Worg should work out of the box except for the already
discussed problems with the @ syntax for alerts.

--

@ 2011-01-20 19:33           ` Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2011-01-20 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric!

> Regarding the @ problem, where and how do you make the settings.  As I
> have said on this list recently, I find that I have to set the variables
> concerned *before* I load org (through =(require 'org-install)=) or
> otherwise the regular expressions that use these variables are
> initialised incorrectly (I believe this is the root cause of the
> problem).

The @ problem is the only one that I have not been able to fix.

The first lines in my .emacs re. orgmode section are:

(setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
(require 'org-install)
(setq initial-major-mode 'org-mode)
(setq org-directory "~/Dropbox/org/")

then I have code for org-capture, tags, and then about latex export:

(setq org-export-latex-packages-alist
      '(("" "color")
	("" "hyperref")
	("" "apacite")
	("" "tikz")))

(require 'org-latex)

and then other org-mode stuff: faces, org-mobile, ....

I noticed that org-latex.el does not have the line:

("@" "\\alert{%s}" nil)

so I added it manually to

(defcustom org-export-latex-emphasis-alist ...

but nothing happens.

Thanks,
Henri-Paul

--

@ 2011-01-20 21:12           ` Bill Moran
From: Bill Moran @ 2011-01-20 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Regarding the @ problem, where and how do you make the settings.  As I
> have said on this list recently, I find that I have to set the variables
> concerned *before* I load org (through =(require 'org-install)=) or
> otherwise the regular expressions that use these variables are
> initialised incorrectly (I believe this is the root cause of the
> problem).
>
> --
> : Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
> : using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.223.g71650)

Thanks Eric - I've done as you suggested and that works for @.

Now to blocks and columns which are also not working
- I suspect another upgrade of org-mode.

Bill

* Re: Re: Org-beamer problems
@ 2011-01-21  9:05             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-21  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hindiogine; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Henri-Paul Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Eric!
>
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>> Regarding the @ problem, where and how do you make the settings.  As I
>> have said on this list recently, I find that I have to set the variables
>> concerned *before* I load org (through =(require 'org-install)=) or
>> otherwise the regular expressions that use these variables are
>> initialised incorrectly (I believe this is the root cause of the
>> problem).
>
> The @ problem is the only one that I have not been able to fix.
>
> The first lines in my .emacs re. orgmode section are:
>
> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
> (require 'org-install)
> (setq initial-major-mode 'org-mode)
> (setq org-directory "~/Dropbox/org/")
>

> then I have code for org-capture, tags, and then about latex export:
>
> (setq org-export-latex-packages-alist
>       '(("" "color")
> 	("" "hyperref")
> 	("" "apacite")
> 	("" "tikz")))
>
> (require 'org-latex)
>
> and then other org-mode stuff: faces, org-mobile, ....
>
> I noticed that org-latex.el does not have the line:
>
> ("@" "\\alert{%s}" nil)
>
> so I added it manually to
>
> (defcustom org-export-latex-emphasis-alist ...
>
> but nothing happens.
>

> Thanks,
> Henri-Paul

See followup message [1] by Bill Moran on this list which confirms what I
have said above.  You have to change the values of the relevant
variables *before* you load org.

eric

Footnotes:
[1]  I'm offline so cannot give you a link but the message has:

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.228.gdcfee)

* Re: Re: Org-beamer problems
@ 2011-01-21 18:57           ` Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2011-01-21 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric!

> Regarding the @ problem, where and how do you make the settings.  As I
> have said on this list recently, I find that I have to set the variables
> concerned *before* I load org (through =(require 'org-install)=) or
> otherwise the regular expressions that use these variables are
> initialised incorrectly (I believe this is the root cause of the
> problem).

I am not getting this.  Sorry for being dense.  Here is the relevant
code from my .emacs

;;
;; BEGIN org-mode
;;
(setq org-export-latex-emphasis-alist (quote
                                      (("*" "\\textbf{%s}" nil)
                                       ("/" "\\emph{%s}" nil)
                                       ("_" "\\underline{%s}" nil)
                                       ("+" "\\texttt{%s}" nil)
                                       ("=" "\\verb=%s=" nil)
                                       ("~" "\\verb~%s~" t)
                                       ("@" "\\alert{%s}" nil))))

(setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
(require 'org-install)

(require 'org-latex)

I restart emacs and still my @important@ is not processed.

I also would like to know how to create blocks without title and how to
avoid "Example(my-title)" in the example blocks.  I just would like to have
the "my-title".

Thanks,
Henri-Paul

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine
Email: hindiogine@gmail.com

* Re: Re: Org-beamer problems
@ 2011-01-21 20:54             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-21 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hindiogine; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Henri-Paul Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Eric!
>
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>> Regarding the @ problem, where and how do you make the settings.  As I
>> have said on this list recently, I find that I have to set the variables
>> concerned *before* I load org (through =(require 'org-install)=) or
>> otherwise the regular expressions that use these variables are
>> initialised incorrectly (I believe this is the root cause of the
>> problem).
>
> I am not getting this.  Sorry for being dense.  Here is the relevant
> code from my .emacs
>
> ;;
> ;; BEGIN org-mode
> ;;
> (setq org-export-latex-emphasis-alist (quote
>                                       (("*" "\\textbf{%s}" nil)
>                                        ("/" "\\emph{%s}" nil)
>                                        ("_" "\\underline{%s}" nil)
>                                        ("+" "\\texttt{%s}" nil)
>                                        ("=" "\\verb=%s=" nil)
>                                        ("~" "\\verb~%s~" t)
>                                        ("@" "\\alert{%s}" nil))))

You need to also set =org-emphasis-alist=. I have:

(setq org-emphasis-alist (quote (("*" bold "<b>" "</b>")
      				 ("/" italic "<i>" "</i>")
      				 ("_" underline "<span style=\"text-decoration:underline;\">" "</span>")
      				 ("=" org-code "<code>" "</code>" verbatim)
      				 ("~" org-verbatim "<code>" "</code>" verbatim)
      				 ("+" (:strike-through t) "<del>" "</del>")
      				 ("@" org-warning "<b>" "</b>")))
      org-export-latex-emphasis-alist (quote
      				       (("*" "\\textbf{%s}" nil)
      					("/" "\\emph{%s}" nil)
      					("_" "\\underline{%s}" nil)
      					("+" "\\texttt{%s}" nil)
      					("=" "\\verb=%s=" nil)
      					("~" "\\verb~%s~" t)
      					("@" "\\alert{%s}" nil)))
      )

Try that and let us know how it goes.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.231.ge879)

* Re: Re: Org-beamer problems
@ 2011-01-21 21:25               ` Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2011-01-21 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> You need to also set =org-emphasis-alist=. I have:

I missed that completely.  Yes, now it works. Thanks a bunch!

Well, now I am wondering how to create blocks without title

In plain LaTeX that would be:

\begin{block}{}
blah, blah
\end{block}

It seems that org-mode wants a title and thus needs some text within the
second pair of {} in \begin{block}{}

Another issue that I am having is with the example block

In plain LaTeX :

\begin{exampleblock}{}
\end{exampleblock}

But org-mode exports:

\begin{example}[Test example block]
\end{example}

Again, it would be nice to have empty block titles.

Thanks,
Henri-Paul

--

@ 2011-01-21 23:39                 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-21 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hindiogine; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Henri-Paul Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>>
>> You need to also set =org-emphasis-alist=. I have:
>
> I missed that completely.  Yes, now it works. Thanks a bunch!
>

> Well, now I am wondering how to create blocks without title
>
> In plain LaTeX that would be:
>
> \begin{block}{}
> blah, blah
> \end{block}
>

> It seems that org-mode wants a title and thus needs some text within the
> second pair of {} in \begin{block}{}

You can cheat using some latex...:

** A second slide
#+latex: \newcommand{\nothing}{}
*** \nothing 							    :B_block:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :END:
This block has no heading, just some text.

and I'm sure some latex expert could improve on this dramatically...

> Another issue that I am having is with the example block
>
> In plain LaTeX :
>
> \begin{exampleblock}{}
> \end{exampleblock}
>

> But org-mode exports:
>
> \begin{example}[Test example block]
> \end{example}
>

> Again, it would be nice to have empty block titles.

Same trick should apply.

But I should say again that org /= latex and if you really want the full
power of latex, you should use that directly.  IMO, of course.