* How to disable description lists?
@ 2011-05-29 12:39 Markus Berlin
From: Markus Berlin @ 2011-05-29 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everybody,

is there a simple way to disable the description list syntax in a
document?  That is, how can I prevent emacs from interpreting '::' as
a description list separator (in a given document)?

The background is that I often use '::' or '::=' in my text
(e.g. talking about types in Haskell or using BNF notation). It is
only a minor issue, but I would very much prefer emacs not
mis-interpreting and highlighting the left hand sides as description
headings.

Thanks,
Markus

* Re: How to disable description lists?
@ 2011-05-29 13:20 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-05-29 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Berlin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Hello everybody,
>
> is there a simple way to disable the description list syntax in a
> document?  That is, how can I prevent emacs from interpreting '::' as
> a description list separator (in a given document)?
>
> The background is that I often use '::' or '::=' in my text
> (e.g. talking about types in Haskell or using BNF notation). It is
> only a minor issue, but I would very much prefer emacs not
> mis-interpreting and highlighting the left hand sides as description
> headings.

Put your code within babel block. I believe it shouldn't happen
then. Are just turn off orgmode.

#+begin_src <whatever>
            <text goes here>
#+end_src

@ 2011-05-29 13:35   ` Markus Berlin
From: Markus Berlin @ 2011-05-29 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> [29.05.2011 15:20]:

> > is there a simple way to disable the description list syntax in a
> > document?  That is, how can I prevent emacs from interpreting '::' as
> > a description list separator (in a given document)?
> >

> Put your code within babel block. I believe it shouldn't happen
> then. Are just turn off orgmode.
>
> #+begin_src <whatever>
>             <text goes here>
> #+end_src

Yes, I do that whenever I have block-level code. But often I want to
use inline '::' notation in normal org-mode lists, something like:

,----
! - a type is a collection of related values
! - notation: ~v :: T~, "v is a value in the type T", "v has type T"
`----

@ 2011-05-29 14:31     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-05-29 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Markus Berlin <ecce.berlin@googlemail.com> writes:

> * Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> [29.05.2011 15:20]:
>> >
>> > is there a simple way to disable the description list syntax in a
>> > document?  That is, how can I prevent emacs from interpreting '::' as
>> > a description list separator (in a given document)?
>> >

>> Put your code within babel block. I believe it shouldn't happen
>> then. Are just turn off orgmode.
>>
>> #+begin_src <whatever>
>>             <text goes here>
>> #+end_src
>>

> Yes, I do that whenever I have block-level code. But often I want to
> use inline '::' notation in normal org-mode lists, something like:
>
> ,----
> ! - a type is a collection of related values
> ! - notation: ~v :: T~, "v is a value in the type T", "v has type T"
> `----

If you use the code markup (which might be desirable anyway, if you're
mixing code and regular text), org mode should not interpret anything
inside that markup as org text. So:

- notation: =~v :: T~=, "v is a value........

Ought to work.

Eric

* Re: How to disable description lists?
@ 2011-05-29 18:44       ` Markus Berlin
From: Markus Berlin @ 2011-05-29 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> [29.05.2011 16:32]:
> If you use the code markup (which might be desirable anyway, if you're
> mixing code and regular text), org mode should not interpret anything
> inside that markup as org text. So:
>
> - notation: =~v :: T~=, "v is a value........
>
> Ought to work.

Thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't work. In fact, I have already
been using code markup, but with "~" instead of "=". Anyway, neither
notation prevents org from interpreting "::" inside code environments
as part of description lists. BTW, I'm having the same issue with
=[[--]]= notations which should not be interpreted as links.

@ 2011-05-29 19:31 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2011-05-29 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Berlin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Markus Berlin <ecce.berlin@googlemail.com> writes:

> is there a simple way to disable the description list syntax in a
> document?  That is, how can I prevent emacs from interpreting '::' as
> a description list separator (in a given document)?

No.

> The background is that I often use '::' or '::=' in my text

::= shouldn't define a description list. Could you post an ECM where it does?

The real separators are [space]::[space] and [space]::[end-of-line],
not :: by itself.

Regards,

-- Nicolas Goaziou