* [HELP} trying to figure out how to figure out?
@ 2011-07-18 22:49 Matthew Sauer
From: Matthew Sauer @ 2011-07-18 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just pulled and upon making noticed several compiler errors.  None
of them appear to be fatal but as I am learning elisp it might be
helpful for me to be able to see what is being done (and also for
maybe me to be able to learn what is being worked on so I can test
it?) and then maybe I can also help more with patches and I think
possibly I am going to try to design an org-startup.el file and I
really want to try to learn before I just jump blindly into that
project.

So, can someone email me (on or off list) some commands that would be
helpful (I think bisect, maybe) or a website to reference to learn the
commands to start digging into those situations?  I don't know what
has changed each time I do a git pull and I don't know if that is the
best time to look for it either?

The points that grabbed my attention are listed here, didn't know
exactly how one would go about finding other than going to the line in
the  files noted? :

In org-cycle:
org.el:5932:47:Warning: attempt to let-bind constant `org-outline-regexp'

In org-promote-subtree:
org.el:7088:4:Warning: attempt to let-bind constant `org-outline-regexp'

In org-demote-subtree:
org.el:7096:4:Warning: attempt to let-bind constant `org-outline-regexp'

In org-current-level:
org.el:7135:8:Warning: attempt to let-bind constant `org-outline-regexp'

In org-narrow-to-subtree:
org.el:7660:4:Warning: attempt to let-bind constant `org-outline-regexp'

In org-store-link:
org.el:8450:30:Warning: attempt to let-bind constant `org-outline-regexp'

In org-metaleft:
org.el:17333:6:Warning: attempt to let-bind constant `org-outline-regexp'

In org-metaright:
org.el:17354:43:Warning: attempt to let-bind constant `org-outline-regexp'

In org-toggle-item:
org.el:17956:28:Warning: attempt to let-bind constant `org-outline-regexp'

In org-toggle-heading:
org.el:18064:26:Warning: attempt to let-bind constant `org-outline-regexp'

In org-mark-subtree:
org.el:19282:28:Warning: attempt to let-bind constant `org-outline-regexp'

Thanks for the help, trying to give back to a wonderful community.

--
Matt

* Re: [HELP} trying to figure out how to figure out?
@ 2011-07-19  0:05 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-19  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Matthew,

(defconst ...) defines a constant, i.e. a symbol which value
will not change.

What happens here is that org.el defines org-outline-regexp
as a constant, whereas some functions use org-outline-regexp
as a symbol for a temporary value (used in let constructs).

See for example the macro `org-with-limited-levels' in org-macs.el:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defmacro org-with-limited-levels (&rest body)
  "Execute BODY with limited number of outline levels."
  `(let* ((org-outline-regexp (org-get-limited-outline-regexp)))
     ,@body))
#+end_src emacs-lisp

The let* construct uses org-outline-regexp to store a temporary
value...  which 100% conflicts (!) with the idea of org-outline-regexp
being a constant.

Thanks for spotting at this!

I've just pushed this fix:

  http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commit;h=08fc6384bcb3937d933f21d0b12c818603d8a279

PS: some compilation warnings depend on the Emacs version you use,
it's always a good idea to tell what version of Emacs you use.

--
 Bastien

* Re: [HELP} trying to figure out how to figure out?
@ 2011-07-19 15:48 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-07-19 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Sauer <improv.philosophy@gmail.com> writes:
> The points that grabbed my attention are listed here, didn't know
> exactly how one would go about finding other than going to the line in
> the  files noted? :
>
> In org-cycle:
> org.el:5932:47:Warning: attempt to let-bind constant `org-outline-regexp'

I noticed those, too.  However (if I analysed it correctly) it only
happens with Emacs23, but not with Emacs24 and only when you compile it
while in a directory where the .elc files are present, either freshly
compiled or from a previous compile.

Regards,
Achim.