* (no subject)
@ 2012-01-05 17:36 Ab Cd
From: Ab Cd @ 2012-01-05 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

Please consider the following file :

------------------------------8<------------------------------
* TODO working
** TODO 1st part of the work
   CLOCK: [2012-01-05 jeu. 17:18]

** TODO second part of the work [0/3]
   - [ ] Task 1
     - [ ] Subtask 1
     - [ ] Subtask 2
     - [ ] Subtask 3
   - [ ] Task 2
   - [ ] Task 3

------------------------------>8------------------------------

It I switch the second TODO (ie: C-c C-t on the line "1st part of the work"), it clocks out the headline.

So
------------------------------8<------------------------------
** TODO 1st part of the work
   CLOCK: [2012-01-05 jeu. 17:18]
------------------------------>8------------------------------
becomes
------------------------------8<------------------------------
** DONE 1st part of the work
   CLOCK: [2012-01-05 jeu. 17:18]--[2012-01-05 jeu. 18:25] =>  1:07
------------------------------>8------------------------------

And that's fine.

Now, if I try to toggle the "Subtask"s with cc, it toggles Task 1 accordingly (to "[-] Task 1" and then later to "[X] Task 1"). And then switching all tasks switche the headline checkbox counter (to [1/3], [2/3] and then [3/3]).

Again it's fine.

But why shoudln't a TODO headline containing only checkbox that are all completed ([3/3] in this case) be switched to done?

Also, why can't I toggle "Task 1" ? Let's assume I was away from my computer when completing some or all of the subtasks. I would really like to check Task 1 and have all the Subtasks checked automatically.

The same thing applies if I switch the 2 headlines "{1st,second} part of the work" to DONE. Shouldn't that switch the "working" headline to DONE too?

One last thing. I also think I would be nice that, if I switch "second part of the work" to DONE, the counter would be set to [3/3] and all the tasks and subtasks be checked as done.

What do you think?

Cheers.

* About headlines, checkboxes and heritage
@ 2012-01-05 17:41 ` Ab Cd
From: Ab Cd @ 2012-01-05 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

[...]

* Re: About headlines, checkboxes and heritage
@ 2012-01-06 13:40   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-01-06 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ab Cd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

Ab Cd <nati_cdg@yahoo.fr> writes:

> Please consider the following file :
>
> * TODO working
> ** TODO 1st part of the work
>    CLOCK: [2012-01-05 jeu. 17:18]
>
> ** TODO second part of the work [0/3]
>    - [ ] Task 1
>      - [ ] Subtask 1
>      - [ ] Subtask 2
>      - [ ] Subtask 3
>    - [ ] Task 2
>    - [ ] Task 3
>
> But why shoudln't a TODO headline containing only checkbox that are
> all completed ([3/3] in this case) be switched to done?

Because lists and headlines are mostly unrelated. There's no particular
reason that completing all tasks from the list should end the second
part of the work. There might be some things left to be done, like
writing a report... many things that Org can't guess. It's up to the
user to tell when it is appropriate to close the task.

Now, if the automatic closing of tasks fits your needs, you can make it
possible with an appropriate value for `org-checkbox-statistics-hook'.

> Also, why can't I toggle "Task 1" ? Let's assume I was away from my
> computer when completing some or all of the subtasks. I would really
> like to check Task 1 and have all the Subtasks checked automatically.

Mark region between "Task 1" and Subtask 3, then use C-c C-x C-b

> One last thing. I also think I would be nice that, if I switch "second
> part of the work" to DONE, the counter would be set to [3/3] and all
> the tasks and subtasks be checked as done.

You want to treat lists as lesser headlines, which they are not. At
least by default.

Though, you can use `org-after-todo-state-change-hook' to call, each
time a state change to a "done"-like keyword, `org-toggle-checkbox' on
the headline (provided the first check-box in the section is unchecked).

Nicolas Goaziou