* agenda bulk actions
@ 2012-08-25  7:55 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-08-25  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm brushing up on org agenda commands, and have a question about bulk
actions.

It seems to me there's some odd overlap here: we've got 'k' bound to
`org-agenda-action', which is used for marking items and shifting their
dates to the date under point, or for capturing using the date under
point as a default. Then there's 'm' and 'B', which are used for marking
items and… doing everything/anything else.

Having two different ways of marking agenda items and operating on them
seems odd to me. In my (very subjective) opinion, it would be much nicer
to have a single set of functions for this. What I'm envisioning is:

1. Use only m/B for all marking and bulk actions. When we hit 's' or 'd'
   for reschedule or re-deadline, use the date under point (if there is
   one) as a default. This covers the 'k' functionality for scheduling
   and deadlines.

2. Have the regular capture interface check org-context to see if point
   is on an agenda date. If it is, use that as the default date for any
   date fields. This covers the 'k' functionality for capture.

2(a). If the above is too intrusive, provide a single org agenda key
      ('k' would now be free) that calls org-capture using date under
      point as a default.

Would this not be an improvement? Am I missing anything?

Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
 of 2012-08-23 on pellet