* agenda timeline filtered by date range
@ 2012-09-25 15:28 Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2012-09-25 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello.

Since a year or so I am using org-mode ever more intensively. Among
other things, I use it to track my training in pediatric medicine. I
keep a sort of combined diary and planner of events, courses and work
schedules in a file called arbete.org, which tracks the four years since
I started until as far into the future as there are concrete plans.
Sometimes I like to discuss my progress with someone, and then I usually
make an html export of the timeline in this file. The timeline is
becoming rather long, but I do not feel it would make sense to divide it
into several files since it is a logical compartment of life for me.

Is it possible to limit the timeline (or perhaps a custom agenda view)
to a specific date range, for instance a year or "the fall of 2011"? I
have searched the manual and FAQs but have found nothing that addresses
this. Perhaps this reflects my misuse of org-mode, but on the other hand
it does seem a useful feature (which probably means it exists but
somehow eludes me).

Thank you for any help,

Johan Sandblom

--
Johan Sandblom, MD PhD
m +46735521477

* Re: agenda timeline filtered by date range
@ 2012-09-26 23:08 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-26 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Sandblom; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ho Johan,

Johan Sandblom <js@ndblom.se> writes:

> Since a year or so I am using org-mode ever more intensively. Among other
> things, I use it to track my training in pediatric medicine. I keep a sort
> of combined diary and planner of events, courses and work schedules in a
> file called arbete.org, which tracks the four years since I started until
> as far into the future as there are concrete plans. Sometimes I like to
> discuss my progress with someone, and then I usually make an html export of
> the timeline in this file. The timeline is becoming rather long, but I do
> not feel it would make sense to divide it into several files since it is a
> logical compartment of life for me.
>
> Is it possible to limit the timeline (or perhaps a custom agenda view) to a
> specific date range, for instance a year or "the fall of 2011"? I have
> searched the manual and FAQs but have found nothing that addresses
> this. Perhaps this reflects my misuse of org-mode, but on the other hand it
> does seem a useful feature (which probably means it exists but somehow
> eludes me).

You can set `org-agenda-span' within a custom agenda view.

See this example:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '((" " "Next 10 days" agenda "List of rendez-vous for the next 10 days"
         ((org-agenda-span 10)))))

Hope this helps,

--
 Bastien

* Re: agenda timeline filtered by date range
@ 2012-09-27  9:04   ` Johan Sandblom
From: Johan Sandblom @ 2012-09-27  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Ho Johan,
>
> Johan Sandblom <js@ndblom.se> writes:
>
>> Since a year or so I am using org-mode ever more intensively. Among
>> other
>> things, I use it to track my training in pediatric medicine. I keep
>> a sort
>> of combined diary and planner of events, courses and work schedules
>> in a
>> file called arbete.org, which tracks the four years since I started
>> until
>> as far into the future as there are concrete plans. Sometimes I like
>> discuss my progress with someone, and then I usually make an html
>> export of
>> the timeline in this file. The timeline is becoming rather long, but
>> I do
>> not feel it would make sense to divide it into several files since
>> it is a
>> logical compartment of life for me.
>>
>> Is it possible to limit the timeline (or perhaps a custom agenda
>> view) to a
>> specific date range, for instance a year or "the fall of 2011"? I
>> have
>> searched the manual and FAQs but have found nothing that addresses
>> this. Perhaps this reflects my misuse of org-mode, but on the other
>> hand it
>> does seem a useful feature (which probably means it exists but
>> somehow
>> eludes me).
>
> You can set `org-agenda-span' within a custom agenda view.
>
> See this example:
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '((" " "Next 10 days" agenda "List of rendez-vous for the next
> 10 days"
>          ((org-agenda-span 10)))))
>
> Hope this helps,

Yes, but that will not give the same days tomorrow, as it does today,
will it? The idea would be to e.g. be able to compare one half year with
the next and similar things. I am sure that there would be several uses
for a method of selecting a date range in the agenda, perhaps counting
the number of hits for certain tag or text matches ...

I thought I had just missed how to do this, but if the functionality is
in fact missing, please consider this a most humble feature request. If
my lisp-fu rises to a more useful level I will try to find a solution
myself.

Johan

--

@ 2012-09-27  9:16     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-27  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Sandblom; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Johan,

Johan Sandblom <js@ndblom.se> writes:

> Yes, but that will not give the same days tomorrow, as it does today, will
> it?

No.

You can use (org-agenda-start-day "2007-11-01") for this.

HTH,

--
 Bastien