* [new exporter] strange behaviour and a question for beamer export
@ 2013-02-13  3:32 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-02-13  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am giving a presentation tomorrow.  I am not panicked because I have a
PDF of my presentation generated using the old exporter a couple of
weeks ago.  However, as a stress test, I thought I would try to convert
this presentation to work with the new exporter.  I have run into a
problem.

The problem is annoyingly non-reproducible on demand!  A block that I
have indicated should be in a column, e.g.:

#+begin_src org
*** gui                          :BMCOL:B_ignoreheading:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.25
    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
    :END:

    [[file:somefigures]]
#+end_src

will sometimes be exported within a column specification
(i.e. \begin{column}...\end{column}) but sometimes it won't and I have
not been able to identify what makes this happen.  Changing the block
type from =ignoreheading= to =block=, say, sometimes makes it work but
not always.  In any case, I don't want the heading.

Note: the above is an excerpt.  As I have said, I cannot create an
example that always illustrates the problem.

Can anybody (Nicolas?) suggest how to track this down?

I also have a simple question that I'm sure has been answered in this
list but I've not yet found the answer and apologies for that: how do I
add options to the \begin{frame} line, such as [shrink=10] say?  I have
tried the BEAMER_envargs property and also #+ATTR_latex or #+ATTR_beamer
specifications.  Nothing seems to make a difference.

If I can sort these two things out, my 40+ slide presentation with quite
complex slides will have been exported perfectly!

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org 7.9.3e-988-g1f8c8d

* Re: [new exporter] strange behaviour and a question for beamer export
@ 2013-02-13  5:06 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-02-13  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[...]

> I also have a simple question that I'm sure has been answered in this
> list but I've not yet found the answer and apologies for that: how do I
> add options to the \begin{frame} line, such as [shrink=10] say?  I have
> tried the BEAMER_envargs property and also #+ATTR_latex or #+ATTR_beamer
> specifications.  Nothing seems to make a difference.

Apologies for the noise on this item!  I finally got my brain around to
considering looking at the source where Nicolas has some very helpful
documentation.  The BEAMER_opt property is what I needed!

--

@ 2013-02-13  5:14 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-02-13  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[...]

> The problem is annoyingly non-reproducible on demand!  A block that I
> have indicated should be in a column, e.g.:
>
> #+begin_src org
> *** gui                          :BMCOL:B_ignoreheading:
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :BEAMER_col: 0.25
>     :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
>     :END:
>
>     [[file:somefigures]]
> #+end_src
>
> will sometimes be exported within a column specification

And, again <blush>, apologies for the noise.  I think I have sorted this
out.  The ignoreheading environment now means something quite different
from what it meant with the old exporter.  What I want, which used to
require the specification of the ignoreheading environment, is achieved
by not specifying a block type at all.

It would appear, if I understand the documentation in ox-beamer.el
correctly, that an ignoreheading block environment is incompatible with
a column specification.  If this is so, it would be nice if the exporter
would indicate an error of some sort or if the beamer minor mode would
catch this; it might not be easy to do the latter, mind you.

Thanks and sorry again for all the noise.  My presentation is now ready
in all its glory ;-)

eric

--

@ 2013-02-13 13:40   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-13 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> It would appear, if I understand the documentation in ox-beamer.el
> correctly, that an ignoreheading block environment is incompatible with
> a column specification.  If this is so, it would be nice if the exporter
> would indicate an error of some sort or if the beamer minor mode would
> catch this; it might not be easy to do the latter, mind you.

Your understanding is correct. But, I see no ambiguity about the
relation between "ignoreheading" and "columns" in the documentation (it
is written that an "ignoreheading" explicitly closes a "columns"
environment)

On a related topic, I'd like to define some behaviour for combinations
like "ignoreheading + BEAMER_act". Hence:

* Headline :ignoreheading:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
  :BEAMER_act: 2-
  :END:

  Contents

should make contents appear outside of a (visible) block, but only from
the second frame. This isn't the case actually. I'm not sure about what
environment to use for that.

> Thanks and sorry again for all the noise.  My presentation is now ready
> in all its glory ;-)

Great.

Nicolas Goaziou