* List admin: Plain text attachments appearing in the digest
@ 2013-03-02  2:06 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-03-02  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, I wonder if there is a way to make the list digest *not* include the
entire contents of plaintext attachments?

For example, this message attaches an updated org-favtable.el:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/67371

Attaching a code file is fine, of course, but it did present a couple of
annoyances while reading the digest:

- I needed to page through screenfuls of code that I'm not using presently.

- My mail reader truncated the digest display at message 27 of 51, leaving
24 messages invisible to me.

I suppose the digest could include a link to the attachment, rather than
replicating the entire file?

Thanks.
hjh

* Re: List admin: Plain text attachments appearing in the digest
@ 2013-03-02 10:04 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-02 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jamshark70; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi James,

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> I suppose the digest could include a link to the attachment, rather
> than replicating the entire file?

We use mailman -- can you investigate and see if we can configure
mailman to suit your needs?

--
 Bastien

* Re: List admin: Plain text attachments appearing in the digest
@ 2013-03-02 17:49   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-03-02 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
> We use mailman -- can you investigate and see if we can configure
> mailman to suit your needs?

I don't think that it is possible to remove attachments specifically for
the digest, much less replacing them with links.  But the digest can
have a maximum size set, which triggers sending additional digests when
that threshold is exceeded.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: List admin: Plain text attachments appearing in the digest
@ 2013-03-03  2:11   ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-03-03  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 2, 2013 7:13 PM, "Bastien" <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> > I suppose the digest could include a link to the attachment, rather
> > than replicating the entire file?
>
> We use mailman -- can you investigate and see if we can configure
> mailman to suit your needs?

It seems Achim is right. There's no option to include or exclude plain text
attachments. But there is a size cap for digests:

http://staff.imsa.edu/~ckolar/mailman/mailman-administration-v2.html

~~
How big in Kb should a digest be before it gets sent out? Mailman will
collect list traffic until this threshold is reached, then it will deliver
the digest to users. This setting is useful in preventing digests from
containing so many messages that the reader becomes disoriented.

Should a digest be dispatched daily when the size threshold isn't reached?
When installed, Mailman is set to run a daily maintenance script. If you
check yes for this option Mailman will send a digest at the specified time
even though the size threshold has not been reached. This is a good idea
for low traffic lists that may take some time in reaching the threshold.
Note: By default, the daily dispatch time is noon (server time). If you
want to be sure of the time that your daily dispatch goes out ask the
system administrator of your system.
~~

I would be happy if the first setting were reduced.

Actually, I remember asking about lowering the digest size limit once
before, and (IIRC) you asked the mailman admins if it was possible, and
they claimed it couldn't be done. I guess either they didn't RTFM or maybe
they were looking for a server-level setting, whereas this setting is at
the mailing list level.

@ 2013-03-03  6:22     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-03  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jamshark70; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi James,

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> I would be happy if the first setting were reduced.

What maximum size is it now?  What maximum size would you like?

--
 Bastien

* Re: List admin: Plain text attachments appearing in the digest
@ 2013-03-03  8:35       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-03-03  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
> What maximum size is it now?  What maximum size would you like?

Only the list admin can see that setting.  But the standard
configuration is to send the digest at fixed intervals with no size cap,
IIRC.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: List admin: Plain text attachments appearing in the digest
@ 2013-03-03  8:38         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-03-03  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Bastien writes:
>> What maximum size is it now?  What maximum size would you like?
>
> Only the list admin can see that setting.

Yes -- I'm asking what James wants to ask the list admins if they
think it would be a sensible default and if they can implement it.

--
 Bastien