* merging per-file (or heading) TODO sequences
@ 2013-04-21  9:08 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-04-21  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I could have sworn I've done this successfully before, but...

I need a special sequence of TODO keywords for one file -- actually just
one headline in particular. I thought I remembered this used to be
possible, but it doesn't seem to be anymore.

Setting #+SEQ_TODO: FOO | BAR at the top of the file actually
overwrites the existing value of `org-todo-keywords' for that file. In
this case I'd like to either:

1. Create this sequence for a single subtree (it's okay if it clobbers
the global value of `org-todo-keywords', so long as it's *only* for this
subtree), or

2. Set the new sequence at the top of the file, but merge this sequence
with the global value of `org-todo-keywords'.

I was sure this was possible! What am I missing?

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: merging per-file (or heading) TODO sequences
@ 2013-04-21 16:22 ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2013-04-21 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

> I could have sworn I've done this successfully before, but...
>
> I need a special sequence of TODO keywords for one file -- actually just
> one headline in particular. I thought I remembered this used to be
> possible, but it doesn't seem to be anymore.
>
> Setting #+SEQ_TODO: FOO | BAR at the top of the file actually
> overwrites the existing value of `org-todo-keywords' for that file. In
> this case I'd like to either:
>
> 1. Create this sequence for a single subtree (it's okay if it clobbers
> the global value of `org-todo-keywords', so long as it's *only* for this
> subtree), or
>
> 2. Set the new sequence at the top of the file, but merge this sequence
> with the global value of `org-todo-keywords'.

Not sure if this is exactly what you want, but you can have multiple
#+SEQ_TODO lines at the top of your file, e.g.:

#+SEQ_TODO: TODO INPROGRESS WAITING | DONE CANCELED
#+SEQ_TODO: FIND PRINT READ NOTES | DONE CANCELED

Then trees will use the different sequences depending on which state you
place them in initially.

Best,
Richard

* Re: merging per-file (or heading) TODO sequences
@ 2013-04-21 16:35 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-04-21 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 21.4.2013, at 11:08, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

> I could have sworn I've done this successfully before, but...
>
> I need a special sequence of TODO keywords for one file -- actually just
> one headline in particular. I thought I remembered this used to be
> possible, but it doesn't seem to be anymore.
>
> Setting #+SEQ_TODO: FOO | BAR at the top of the file actually
> overwrites the existing value of `org-todo-keywords' for that file. In
> this case I'd like to either:
>
> 1. Create this sequence for a single subtree (it's okay if it clobbers
> the global value of `org-todo-keywords', so long as it's *only* for this
> subtree), or

This is currently not possible.

> 2. Set the new sequence at the top of the file, but merge this sequence
> with the global value of `org-todo-keywords'.

And neither is this.

But you do have the options Richard mentions in his post.

Regards

- Carsten

* Re: merging per-file (or heading) TODO sequences
@ 2013-04-22  1:09   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-04-22  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On 21.4.2013, at 11:08, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>
>> I could have sworn I've done this successfully before, but...
>>
>> I need a special sequence of TODO keywords for one file -- actually just
>> one headline in particular. I thought I remembered this used to be
>> possible, but it doesn't seem to be anymore.
>>
>> Setting #+SEQ_TODO: FOO | BAR at the top of the file actually
>> overwrites the existing value of `org-todo-keywords' for that file. In
>> this case I'd like to either:
>>
>> 1. Create this sequence for a single subtree (it's okay if it clobbers
>> the global value of `org-todo-keywords', so long as it's *only* for this
>> subtree), or
>
> This is currently not possible.
>

>> 2. Set the new sequence at the top of the file, but merge this sequence
>> with the global value of `org-todo-keywords'.
>
> And neither is this.
>
> But you do have the options Richard mentions in his post.

Thanks to you both -- I guess I wasn't mis-remembering. I'd rather not
replicate my other TODO sequences at the top of the file; I might
experiment with a separate file altogether.

Thanks again,
Eric