* Beamer export: one question and one bug
@ 2013-10-25 11:58 Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2013-10-25 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings.

I am using org mode 8.2.1.

1. First the question: when I export the org file below as Beamer (C-c
   C-e l O), I get an empty outline. How do I fix this?

2. Then the bug. If you remove the comment character in the second
   slide, Beamer export gives an error, while a regular LaTeX export
   (C-c C-e l o) produced output. It seems that Beamer export can not
   handle links with equality characters (=). (I guess the "%3D" is the
   coding for '='. If you edit the link with "C-c C-l", you can see the
   equality sign.)

#+TITLE: Beamer test
#+CREATOR: Emacs 24.2.1 (Org mode 8.2.1)
#+EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE: en
#+SELECT_TAGS: export

* This is the first slide
  - with some fancy text
* And this is the second slide
  - with one commented item...
#  - ... containing a [[https://www.google.com/#q%3Dorg%2Bmode][link]] that will amaze the reader

All the best,

Jarmo

* Re: Beamer export: one question and one bug
@ 2013-10-25 18:56 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-10-25 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@syk.fi> writes:

> I am using org mode 8.2.1.
>
> 1. First the question: when I export the org file below as Beamer (C-c
>    C-e l O), I get an empty outline. How do I fix this?

I cannot reproduce it. What happens with "-q"?

> 2. Then the bug. If you remove the comment character in the second
>    slide, Beamer export gives an error, while a regular LaTeX export
>    (C-c C-e l o) produced output. It seems that Beamer export can not
>    handle links with equality characters (=). (I guess the "%3D" is the
>    coding for '='. If you edit the link with "C-c C-l", you can see the
>    equality sign.)

The export process doesn't unencode hexified links, so the problem
doesn't come from the equality sign but from the percent one.

This problem was discussed recently (look for a thread named "Encoding
Problem in export?" on the ML), but, IIRC, no solution was found.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Beamer export: one question and one bug
@ 2013-10-26  7:20   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2013-10-26  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings!

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

>> 1. First the question: when I export the org file below as Beamer (C-c
>>    C-e l O), I get an empty outline. How do I fix this?
>
> I cannot reproduce it. What happens with "-q"?

The same thing: an empty outline.

To be exact, I ran "emacs -q" and the executed the following commands
before loading the org-file, in order to use the newest version of org:

(setq load-path (cons "/home/jarmo/addons/emacs-packages/org/lisp" load-path))
(require 'org)
(require 'ox-beamer)

Maybe this is related to TeX version? Mine is

TeX 3.1415926 (TeX Live 2013)

>> 2. Then the bug. If you remove the comment character in the second
>>    slide, Beamer export gives an error, while a regular LaTeX export
>>    (C-c C-e l o) produced output.
> The export process doesn't unencode hexified links, so the problem
> doesn't come from the equality sign but from the percent one.

Ok.

> This problem was discussed recently (look for a thread named "Encoding
> Problem in export?" on the ML), but, IIRC, no solution was found.

I will read through the thread, but at the moment I don't understand why
the Beamer export behaves differently than the regular LaTeX export.

@ 2013-10-27  1:31     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-10-27  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@syk.fi> writes:

> Greetings!
>
> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> 1. First the question: when I export the org file below as Beamer (C-c
>>>    C-e l O), I get an empty outline. How do I fix this?
>>
>> I cannot reproduce it. What happens with "-q"?
>
> The same thing: an empty outline.

Seems to work fine for me with the older version that I was running,
but I upgraded to latest and I get the beamer presentation I expected.

> To be exact, I ran "emacs -q" and the executed the following commands
> before loading the org-file, in order to use the newest version of org:
>
> (setq load-path (cons "/home/jarmo/addons/emacs-packages/org/lisp" load-path))
> (require 'org)
> (require 'ox-beamer)
>
> Maybe this is related to TeX version? Mine is
>
> TeX 3.1415926 (TeX Live 2013)

My TeX says

This is TeX, Version 3.1415926 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)

but I don't know whether that explains it.

>>> 2. Then the bug. If you remove the comment character in the second
>>>    slide, Beamer export gives an error, while a regular LaTeX export
>>>    (C-c C-e l o) produced output.
>> The export process doesn't unencode hexified links, so the problem
>> doesn't come from the equality sign but from the percent one.
>
> Ok.
>
>> This problem was discussed recently (look for a thread named "Encoding
>> Problem in export?" on the ML), but, IIRC, no solution was found.
>
> I will read through the thread, but at the moment I don't understand why
> the Beamer export behaves differently than the regular LaTeX export.

Export to Latex produces

\section{And this is the second slide}
\label{sec-2}
\begin{itemize}
\item with one commented item\ldots{}
\item \ldots{} containing a \href{https://www.google.com/#q%3Dorg%2Bmode}{link} that will amaze the reader
\end{itemize}

Export to beamer produces

\begin{frame}[label=sec-2]{And this is the second slide}
\begin{itemize}
\item with one commented item\ldots{}
\item \ldots{} containing a \href{https://www.google.com/#q%3Dorg%2Bmode}{link} that will amaze the reader
\end{itemize}
\end{frame}

so the link is treated exactly the same in the two cases. Probably the
enclosing environment (\section vs \frame) is what causes the different
behavior.
--
Nick

* Re: Beamer export: one question and one bug
@ 2013-10-27  9:10       ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2013-10-27  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings again.

> Seems to work fine for me with the older version that I was running,
> but I upgraded to latest and I get the beamer presentation I expected.

I think I posed my initial question in a way that begs for a
misunderstanding. When I export the file as Beamer, I get a title page,
two slides _and_ an empty outline. Maybe someone interpreted my initial
question to mean that I get _only_ an empty outline. I would like for
the titles of the slides to appear in the outline. How do I achieve
this?

(I know that I can get rid of the outline by setting toc:nil.)

> so the link is treated exactly the same in the two cases. Probably the
> enclosing environment (\section vs \frame) is what causes the
> different behavior.

Ok, thanks.

@ 2013-10-28 14:13         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-10-28 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@syk.fi> writes:

> Greetings again.

>> Seems to work fine for me with the older version that I was running,
>> but I upgraded to latest and I get the beamer presentation I expected.
>
> I think I posed my initial question in a way that begs for a
> misunderstanding. When I export the file as Beamer, I get a title page,
> two slides _and_ an empty outline. Maybe someone interpreted my initial
> question to mean that I get _only_ an empty outline. I would like for
> the titles of the slides to appear in the outline. How do I achieve
> this?
>
> (I know that I can get rid of the outline by setting toc:nil.)

Ah, indeed I misunderstood.

AFAIK, toc-entries are created by \section{...} and the beamer exporter
does not add \section headers - there might be a way to do that but I
don't know it.

There also might be a beamer way of having frames add their title to the
TOC without \section help, but again I don't know whether that's
possible.

Nick

* Re: Beamer export: one question and one bug
@ 2013-11-02 14:10           ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2013-11-02 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@syk.fi> writes:
>
>> Greetings again.

>>> Seems to work fine for me with the older version that I was running,
>>> but I upgraded to latest and I get the beamer presentation I expected.
>>
>> I think I posed my initial question in a way that begs for a
>> misunderstanding. When I export the file as Beamer, I get a title page,
>> two slides _and_ an empty outline. Maybe someone interpreted my initial
>> question to mean that I get _only_ an empty outline. I would like for
>> the titles of the slides to appear in the outline. How do I achieve
>> this?
>>
>> (I know that I can get rid of the outline by setting toc:nil.)
>>

> Ah, indeed I misunderstood.
>
> AFAIK, toc-entries are created by \section{...} and the beamer exporter
> does not add \section headers - there might be a way to do that but I
> don't know it.

Set '#OPTIONS: H:2', then top level headlines become sections (and are
listed in the table of contents) and second-level headlines become the
frames. For example:

#+TITLE: Beamer test
#+CREATOR: Emacs 24.2.1 (Org mode 8.2.1)
#+EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE: en
#+SELECT_TAGS: export

* This is the first section
** This is the first slide
   - with some fancy text

* This is the second section
** And this is the second slide
  - with one commented item...
#  - ... containing a [[https://www.google.com/#q%3Dorg%2Bmode][link]]
that will amaze the reader

Best,
Ista

@ 2013-11-03 10:06             ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2013-11-03 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings.

> Set '#OPTIONS: H:2', then top level headlines become sections (and are
> listed in the table of contents) and second-level headlines become the
> frames.

Yep, that will happen. However, the original idea was to get frame
headlines into the table of contents.  In order to achieve this I would
have to have H:2 and repeat the frame title as follows:

# --------------------------------------------------------------------
#+TITLE: Beamer test
#+CREATOR: Emacs 24.2.1 (Org mode 8.2.1)
#+EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE: en
#+SELECT_TAGS: export

* This is the first slide
** This is the first slide
  - with some fancy text
* And this is the second slide
** And this is the second slide
  - with one commented item...
# --------------------------------------------------------------------

The output is correct, but requires duplication of information, which is
practically always a bad idea.

@ 2013-11-03 14:18               ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2013-11-03 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 5:06 AM, Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@syk.fi> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
>> Set '#OPTIONS: H:2', then top level headlines become sections (and are
>> listed in the table of contents) and second-level headlines become the
>> frames.
>
> Yep, that will happen. However, the original idea was to get frame
> headlines into the table of contents.

As far as I know this is a beamer design decision. The idea seems to
be that if your presentation is short enough that the individual frame
titles would fit in a table of contents then you don't actually need
one; see the beamer user guide at
http://ctan.mackichan.com/macros/latex/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf.

Best,
Ista

@ 2013-11-03 16:13                 ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2013-11-03 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> As far as I know this is a beamer design decision. The idea seems to
> be that if your presentation is short enough that the individual frame
> titles would fit in a table of contents then you don't actually need
> one.

Ok, so be it, I can live with that decision.

All the best,

Jarmo