* please. Hekp me to start
@ 2014-01-04 15:26 Renato
From: Renato @ 2014-01-04 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,
I know, ther's a lot of doc around there. But: can someone show me "the
best" road map" to start using (and learning) org-mode?

I've past the few days, learning emacs, and now, I think I'm able to
start using org-mode.

TIA

Renato

* Re: please. Hekp me to start
@ 2014-01-04 15:37 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-04 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renato; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Renato,

Renato <renato.pontefice@gmail.com> writes:

> I've past the few days, learning emacs, and now, I think I'm able to
> start using org-mode.

I'd start with this tutorial:
  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/orgtutorial_dto.html

Then continue exploring this page:
  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.html

--
 Bastien

* Re: please. Hekp me to start
@ 2014-01-04 17:06 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-01-04 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Renato <renato.pontefice@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I know, ther's a lot of doc around there. But: can someone show me
> "the best" road map" to start using (and learning) org-mode?

Org is a swiss army knife: if you open up all the blades and try to use
them at once, you are going to hurt yourself.

Start with one or two things that are interesting to you and ignore
everything else: e.g. agenda and TODO lists for organizing your life;
writing up notes for latex or html export. I mention these two because
they account for about 95% of my personal usage, but you will have to
adjust to taste.

Resist the temptation to learn everything at once. Once you've used org
for a while for the things that matter to *you*, extensions and further
uses will come naturally.

For example, learning about tables comes naturally in the note-taking
process; then you learn about the spreadsheet and doing data analysis in
org; then you go on to babel and "reproducible" research. That might
lead to citations (a field of active research on the list
currently). Then you might want to publish your notes so others can read
them; or start a blog...

Or you decide to organize your life even more and start clocking all
your activities; track your habits; go on to quantify your life...

All of these things and more are possible with org, but just because
they are possible does not mean that you have to do them all (and
certainly not all at once) in order to use org productively.

Just remember: one blade at a time.

--
Nick

* Re: please. Hekp me to start