* sharing my firsts, org babel tangle and "init" .org file
@ 2014-04-17 23:43 Brady Trainor
From: Brady Trainor @ 2014-04-17 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Have you migrated your init files into .org file(s)? What's your setup?

Below is my first setup for fellow newbs, or for the interested
developer. And please let me know if I'm missing some logic or
conventions/practices.

In the short history of my Emacs init file evolution (~ oct '13), I had
considered packages like dot-emacs.org, but for some reason had not
succeeded (I thought it had demanded Emacs 24.3.50+, but I don't see
that in the description now).

So when I recently felt motivated to try such a .org Literation of my
init files (my project of making agenda custom commands and capture
templates was starting to topple), I tried let's say a more basic approach.

I worked mostly from the tutorial in
     Babel: Introduction / Emacs Initialization with Babel

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html#emacs-initialization

It took just a little wrestling with a clean tty2 Emacs, but here is my
interpretation of a "minimal" setup for initializing via org babel
tangling:

  ____________
/

;;;; make sure org has been installed in an "emacs -q"

(require 'package)
(package-initialize)
(require 'org)

;; declare org indentation before we might manually open org to tangle
(setq org-startup-indented t)
(setq org-hide-block-startup t)
;; declare source indentation before we might manually open org to tangle
(setq org-src-fontify-natively t)
(setq org-edit-src-content-indentation 0)

;; default I/O in windows is undecided-dos/unix for de/encoding respectively
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)

;; load org initialization files
(require 'ob-tangle)
(org-babel-load-file "/e/emacs-config/dot-emacs-test.org")

\____________

Some of those aren't necessary but for aesthetics before manually
stepping through lines for testing the initialization (starting emacs -q
tangling and/or executing one-by-one).

The character encoding is there as I have some utf-8 Fahrenheit symbols
in my (.org) init file.

Initially (while troubleshooting) I had some dired customizations
(vertical omit, horizontal hide), font family and color-theming in this
code block, as I have a hard time looking at plain Emacs for too long.

You may also want to toggle some tangles in your (first ever) init file,
this can be done per file, subtree or source block, via

#+PROPERTY: header-args :tangle yes
  or
:PROPERTIES:
:header-args: :tangle no
:END:
  or
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :tangle no

And the latter take precendence.

TWIMC, HTH

Brady

* Re: sharing my firsts, org babel tangle and "init" .org file
@ 2014-04-18 11:15 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-04-18 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brady Trainor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:

> Have you migrated your init files into .org file(s)? What's your
> setup?

I do, and find it very convenient.

My setup is here: http://bzg.fr/emacs.html

--
 Bastien

* Re: sharing my firsts, org babel tangle and "init" .org file
@ 2014-04-19  0:24 ` Pete Ley
From: Pete Ley @ 2014-04-19  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brady Trainor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I've looked at the solution on worg and, though I didn't actually try to
implement, it seems like tangling your init file every time you open
Emacs is a little cumbersome. Please correct me if I'm wrong in this
assumption. I also have a sync script hooked into my tangling that has
to do with exporting some of my config sections to my gopher site so
they're always up to date, so maybe it's just that my tangling
experience is especially involved.

Here's what I do. Since I probably only edit my config ~10% of the times
that I open Emacs, it seems easier to just have a statically-tangled
init file, so I just basically use C-c C-v C-t instead of C-x C-s to
save my init.org. I also use somewhat customized init files on a few
different hosts which share the same .emacs.d. They share come common
functionality and differ slightly, so there are a few init files tangled
into ~/.emacs.d of the form hostname.el and the init.el file is
basically a switch which chooses which one to load on startup.

Short reference:
http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw?gopher://sdf.org:70/0/users/framling/emacs/init

* Re: sharing my firsts, org babel tangle and "init" .org file
@ 2014-04-19  1:58   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-04-19  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Ley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Brady Trainor

Good thing to consider. On my slow machine it takes 6 minutes to tangle my
init and on my faster machine 1.5 minutes so I follow the static approach.

Grant Rettke | AAAS, ACM, FSF, IEEE, Sigma Xi
grettke@acm.org | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

@ 2014-04-19 15:05   ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2014-04-19 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Pete Ley <peteley11235 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I've looked at the solution on worg and, though I didn't actually try to
> implement, it seems like tangling your init file every time you open
> Emacs is a little cumbersome. Please correct me if I'm wrong in this
> assumption.

OK, here goes:

In `org-babel-load-file' the code following the comment

    ;; tangle if the org-mode file is newer than the elisp file

appears to only re-tangle the .el file iff it is older than the .org file

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: sharing my firsts, org babel tangle and "init" .org file
@ 2014-04-20  1:50   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-04-20  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Brady Trainor

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:
>
>> Have you migrated your init files into .org file(s)? What's your
>> setup?
>
> I do, and find it very convenient.
>
> My setup is here: http://bzg.fr/emacs.html

My setup is available here.

https://github.com/eschulte/emacs24-starter-kit

It is designed to be a good starting point for personalized configs.

Also, as Chuck mentioned, tangling does *not* take place every time
Emacs starts, only when the .org file is newer than the .el file.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte