* beginner agenda question
@ 2014-07-28  1:21 Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-07-28  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Simple question, I think, but it has me stumped. I'm wondering what
variable controls the org-agenda function that gives you upcoming
events, a la:

  todo:       In   2 d.:  TODO Friend's Birthday
  todo:       In   4 d.:  TODO Rehearsal
  todo:       In   4 d.:  TODO Happy Hour
  todo:       In   9 d.:  TODO Some other thing

I'd like to get rid of all of that, actually. For me, it clutters things
up too much.

Thank you!
steven

* Re: beginner agenda question
@ 2014-07-28  2:11 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-07-28  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> Simple question, I think, but it has me stumped. I'm wondering what
> variable controls the org-agenda function that gives you upcoming
> events, a la:
>
>   todo:       In   2 d.:  TODO Friend's Birthday
>   todo:       In   4 d.:  TODO Rehearsal
>   todo:       In   4 d.:  TODO Happy Hour
>   todo:       In   9 d.:  TODO Some other thing
>
> I'd like to get rid of all of that, actually. For me, it clutters things
> up too much.
>
> Thank you!
> steven

It looks like you've put a DEADLINE cookie on those events -- the
advance warning only kicks in in that case, if I recall correctly. For
plain old events (birthdays, doctors appointments, etc), it's often best
just to use a regular old timestamp, so:

* Rehearsal <2014-07-28 Mon>

Or you can put the timestamp on the line below the headline.

HTH,
Eric

* Re: beginner agenda question
@ 2014-07-28 17:01   ` Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-07-28 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>
>> Simple question, I think, but it has me stumped. I'm wondering what
>> variable controls the org-agenda function that gives you upcoming
>> events, a la:
>>
>>   todo:       In   2 d.:  TODO Friend's Birthday
>>   todo:       In   4 d.:  TODO Rehearsal
>>   todo:       In   4 d.:  TODO Happy Hour
>>   todo:       In   9 d.:  TODO Some other thing
>>
>> I'd like to get rid of all of that

> It looks like you've put a DEADLINE cookie on those events -- the
> advance warning only kicks in in that case, if I recall correctly. For
> plain old events (birthdays, doctors appointments, etc), it's often best
> just to use a regular old timestamp, so:
>
> * Rehearsal <2014-07-28 Mon>
>
> Or you can put the timestamp on the line below the headline.
>
> HTH,
> Eric

Eric, thank you, yes, that did it.

Best!