* How to differentiate between lists in HTML export
@ 2014-11-05  1:36 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-11-05  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

as I've said some time ago, I'm working on a custom exporter.  What I'd
like to achieve is differentiating between lists – essentially, I'd like
a list to translate to something like this:

<ul id="some unique ID">
<li>Item 1</li>
<li>Item 2</li>
</ul>

Is there any support for this kind of stuff in the exporter framework or
should I code it myself?  (It should be rather easy – e.g. have a global
variable keeping track of the number of unordered lists so far.)

Notice that I explicitly /do not want/ the user to manually enter unique
IDs etc., nor do I want him to run some function inserting CUSTOM_ID
properties etc.

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: How to differentiate between lists in HTML export
@ 2014-11-05  7:43 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-11-05  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> as I've said some time ago, I'm working on a custom exporter.  What I'd
> like to achieve is differentiating between lists – essentially, I'd like
> a list to translate to something like this:
>
> <ul id="some unique ID">
> <li>Item 1</li>
> <li>Item 2</li>
> </ul>
>
> Is there any support for this kind of stuff in the exporter framework or
> should I code it myself?  (It should be rather easy – e.g. have a global
> variable keeping track of the number of unordered lists so far.)

See `org-export-get-ordinal'.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: How to differentiate between lists in HTML export
@ 2014-11-09  0:10   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-11-09  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-05, at 08:43, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:
>
>> as I've said some time ago, I'm working on a custom exporter.  What I'd
>> like to achieve is differentiating between lists – essentially, I'd like
>> a list to translate to something like this:
>>
>> <ul id="some unique ID">
>> <li>Item 1</li>
>> <li>Item 2</li>
>> </ul>
>>
>> Is there any support for this kind of stuff in the exporter framework or
>> should I code it myself?  (It should be rather easy – e.g. have a global
>> variable keeping track of the number of unordered lists so far.)
>
> See `org-export-get-ordinal'.

Thanks, but this is not really what I'd like to have: the strings
generated by org-export-get-ordinal are /not/ unique throughout the file
(they seem to be unique within one level of hierarchy).  Any other
suggestions?

--

@ 2014-11-09  8:24     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-11-09  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Thanks, but this is not really what I'd like to have: the strings
> generated by org-export-get-ordinal are /not/ unique throughout the file
> (they seem to be unique within one level of hierarchy).

They should be unique. How did you use this function?

* Re: How to differentiate between lists in HTML export
@ 2014-11-09 21:36       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-11-09 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-09, at 09:24, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:
>
>> Thanks, but this is not really what I'd like to have: the strings
>> generated by org-export-get-ordinal are /not/ unique throughout the file
>> (they seem to be unique within one level of hierarchy).
>
> They should be unique. How did you use this function?

Sorry for the noise, it seems to be working now.  (I threw out the
code, but AFAIR the non-uniqueness arised with ordinals of /items/ in
different lists.)

@ 2014-11-09 23:08         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-11-09 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Sorry for the noise, it seems to be working now.  (I threw out the
> code, but AFAIR the non-uniqueness arised with ordinals of /items/ in
> different lists.)

Yes, ordinals for items are relative to the list they belong to. OTOH
for plain lists, this is the sequence number among other plain lists in
the buffer (see docstring).

* Re: How to differentiate between lists in HTML export
@ 2014-11-10  2:02           ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-11-10  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-10, at 00:08, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:
>
>> Sorry for the noise, it seems to be working now.  (I threw out the
>> code, but AFAIR the non-uniqueness arised with ordinals of /items/ in
>> different lists.)
>
> Yes, ordinals for items are relative to the list they belong to. OTOH
> for plain lists, this is the sequence number among other plain lists in
> the buffer (see docstring).

That's exactly what I thought.  (I need ordinals for plain lists, since
I sometimes convert them to groups of radio buttons in my derived html
backend; at first, I mistakenly took ordinals of items...)

Tip to myself (and to whoever might need it): to have a unique id of a
list item, combine the id of the parent list with the (relative) id of
the item.

> Regards,

Best,